PDA

View Full Version : FAA+conversion or JAA??

Daniel777
12th Aug 2008, 22:43
Hey there,

I have been reading quite alot about training in the US and in the UK however still cannot decide...
I currently have a PPL and I wish to fly for any airline in Europe.
I would like to have my fATPL done within a year, I'm about to sign up for a DL ATPL theory course.

Does it worth doing all ratings in the US and then converting them or should I attend a JAA approved school in the UK straight away?
Which is more preffered and has got better chances of empolyment?

Thanks alot!:ok:

michael95u
12th Aug 2008, 22:48
It doesn't matter where you do your training. All that matters is what credentials you have when you apply for a job. You obviously need the ATPL eventually, but how you get to that point is up to you. Do whatever is most economical and look at the best school for you.

You will find that training in the US is less expensive. The question is what is the cost of converting down the road.

Michael

Kash360
13th Aug 2008, 10:09
Hi Guys, i have a FAA PPL Multi-engine already. My question is, when i have completed my theory and minimum hours, and go and do my CPL. can i get away with a single engine CPL and class it as a multi CPL or do i have to do the multi CPL? Would just save me money and also it would mean doing my multi engine twice.

Many Thanks in advance.

Kash360

INNflight
13th Aug 2008, 12:19
Does it worth doing all ratings in the US and then converting them or should I attend a JAA approved school in the UK straight away?
Which is more preffered and has got better chances of empolyment?

I don't think any employer would care whether you converted your FAA license or did it all-JAA.

I for myself decided to go for the conversion option; doing FAA CPL IFR and JAA ATPL, then converting the FAA licenses.

Even with the arising conversion costs, training in the States is so much cheaper that I still finish with less money spent.

Xorthis
13th Aug 2008, 13:05
Daniel for your initial training (PPL) it doesn't really matter if you do FAA or JAA you do or where you do it as long as it allows you to start the ATPL course.

From what I have been told by pilots I have spoken with however, if you wish to get a job in Europe, it would be better to get the JAA CPL/IR+ME and train for it in Europe rather than going to the states as you'll have less work to do overall and some employers may look on it as a very slight advantage over a US trained holder.

Don't rule out going for the FAA > JAA conversion route however as it can be slightly cheeper (Though look into the costs very closely) which saves money for a TR if you need to buy it and employers don't see it as a major negative point. Also in the world of international aviation, it could even be considered a plus to hold a US and Europe lisence :)

Daniel777
14th Aug 2008, 20:25
Thanks alot for the replies:ok: