PDA

View Full Version : Is Ryanair still taking on FO's

doctordoom
12th Aug 2008, 22:40
I have heard rumors that Ryanair is stoping it's typerating courses after September :ugh: till the end of the year. Is there any thruth in this or is it just all bull. It would be nice to hear an answer from sombody in the know and not just somebody trying to put us wannabes off finishing our training :ok:

Rhodes13
13th Aug 2008, 08:29
Hearing same rumours as usual not easy to get info as plans change weekly I suspect. But at the moment overstaffed with FO's and having hours cut back severely. Seems to be system wide so the last thing we need is more FO's.

Current RYR FO

Superpilot
13th Aug 2008, 08:58
According to the recruitment bod, as of 2 days ago, Ryanair are still looking to recruit "at least until the end of the year".

bananaman2
13th Aug 2008, 09:17
yeah, would be interesting to know, as i am considering applying in the near future.

heard contradictory things from couple of mates....

from one currently training - heard the sept rumour about ceasing type rating courses.

from another about to start training apparently cae stated there are type rating courses thru until the end of the year. Obviously have to be careful with what people tell you, esp salesman, but ryr also had another cadet openday in july at ema, so maybe some truth in it?

bobster1
13th Aug 2008, 11:47
They dont charge £50 to apply....its free
But the assesment day at EMA costs £260, only if your application is succesful.

Rhodes13
13th Aug 2008, 23:31
spicejetter over charge how? Considering you pay the type rating provider direct (same cost as other airlines/students)I fail to see how RYR make a cent out of it.

Or as usual are you just anti RYR without knowing anything? Ignorance is bliss

BerksFlyer
14th Aug 2008, 01:15
Considering you pay the type rating provider direct (same cost as other airlines/students)I fail to see how RYR make a cent out of it.

I think it's more the fact that while you're line training, you are free to them. So they make more money having newly rated pilots flying than they do their experienced FOs. So technically it is good from a business point of view to keep hiring FOs because they are costing nothing and giving you less cost on all the flights they operate on.

Rhodes13
14th Aug 2008, 07:04
That was the case berk but as I understand it now the cadets are on a salary now of circa 40 euro per hour during line training a hell of a lot more than I got during my training. Not the best of money but sure as hell more than enough to live on.

Flying Wild
14th Aug 2008, 07:38
MOL only pays for two pilots on the flight deck. When doing your line training as an FO, your pay goes to the safety pilot...

Rhodes13
14th Aug 2008, 08:10
wg100 is it your objective in life to be factually incorrect. RYR is not perfect far from it but please can people stop posting absolute crap about the company. Do you even work there?

Day_Dreamer
14th Aug 2008, 08:22
FACTS

No £50 charge to read C.V.

Same fee charged to Ryanair by OAA and CAE as can be obtained by any person approaching the provider direct.

You must pay for Uniform, Room and board, Car parking, ID pass / Security check, Medicals and Licence / type rating issue.

New pay deal. No money until line pilot cover released then €40 per scheduled hour, less €4.50 to cover next simulator session.
To complete line training in 80 sectors variable hours but assuming 120.
5-7 days cover based on 7 hours per day 49 hours unpaid.
71 hours to be paid at €35.50 = €2520 or £2048 (1£ = €1.23) over possibly 4 weeks.

Brookfield contract offered after completion of final line check unless France based.
First 500 hours on type at €60 per hour less €4.50
Next 1000 hours on type at €80 per hour less €4.50
Above 1500 hours on type €90 per hour less €4.50
One months leave to be taken in a block usually winter period.

You get paid based on scheduled hours not actual, if flight takes less time you benefit if longer the company benefits.
I am told its usually the pilot who comes out better over the year.

As to recruitment there will be a slow down to cope with a glut of cadets requiring training over the winter period, but increasing with projected demand when the training capacity is available.

Those who knock Ryanair on Pprune should be ignored, if you want the facts talk to RYR pilots ex cadets and see what they say.

Go for your dream there will be little available jobs out there once the US and European layoffs take effect this winter, but RYR will still be in there expanding.

NO I don't work for them in any aspect. nor am I connected in any way with their management.

boogie-nicey
14th Aug 2008, 09:35
They'll probably continue to recruit as the SSTR is another revenue besides they can dump you at moment after you join. Being 'accepted' by Ryanair doesn't necessarily mean you have made it to the promised lands. Only after you have spent long enough at Ryanair to earn the equivalent of your initial outlay along with the associated hours can you claim to have moved ahead.

virginpilot1087
14th Aug 2008, 10:21
"MOL only pays for two pilots on the flight deck. When doing your line training as an FO, your pay goes to the safety pilot..."

What a load of bull! when I did my line training i got a salary of €15,000 which came into effect once I did the base training up until i finished line training, the deal has now changed for the better I belive to €40 per schedualed block hour while line training, very much doubt you dont get paid while safty pilot is there, but considering safty pilot release is normally between 12-20 sectors thats not long, 12 sectors for me so only 3 days.

ballyboley
14th Aug 2008, 10:35
Yet more pprune inaccurate rubbish...

FR pilots DO get paid during line training. The only time we dont is the initial sectors while the safety pilot is still there, which is realistically just a couple of days. As soon as they're released, we get paid 45euro per hour which then goes up to 60 once line training is complete. As it appears some people have no idea how line training works, there aren't 3 pilots on the F/D, you are just rostered with a line training captain!
Also, I got a contract before I even left for the induction week, never mind line training, so that isn't true either.

And yes, we were told last week that they plan to stop the cadet entry programme around November time for a while, again, things change weekly so that could be different now. They might have parked up a few a/c but they're still taking the new deliveries.

I admit FR perhaps isn't the most lucrative employer on the market, but if you can live with seperating off about £1k of your salary per year for uniform/medical etc and can afford a box of Tesco tea bags for your flight bag, its not the worst either. Dont forget year 2 salary comes out around £55k with captains (year 3-4 perhaps) on £100ish.

Not trying to be defensive, just stating a few facts from the inside, and after doing thorough research for myself.

doctordoom
14th Aug 2008, 13:22
Thats wot I wanted to hear, thanks Ballyboley. I am planing on finishing up somtime in September and would like to get in befor the door gets shut :ok:

boogie-nicey
15th Aug 2008, 11:04
Precisely DocotorDoom what you wanted to hear. I don't mean to rain on your parade but please be careful like an earlier poster stated they are changing things by the day and a short plan may well be reversed as quickly as it was implemented. Therefore don't rely too much on Ryanair as the floating driftwood but then again in ocean of other wannabes it's better than nothing. I'm just saying listen attentively to both sides of the argument and not just a flitered if not blinkered view of what you wish or expect to hear.

Best of luck to you my mateys :p I'll hope to join you soon too.

Lee-a-Roady Moor
22nd Aug 2008, 09:28
doctordoom, as boogie-nicey and others have said, things can change very quickly.

I have heard that recruitment is on hold until the first quarter next year.

Only a rumour of course, and things change weekly!

Have also heard from a different source that the pay deal has changed, for the better, in that one does receive payment during line training, which is a big help. Haven't got figures, but what I heard does tie in with what ballyboley said.

At the end of the day, FR have a few €€ in the bank, new aircraft on order/arriving and the potential to see out a depression. A nice position to be in!

Whilst many say the T's & C's may not be the best, in the current climate, flying a new jet for FR, and being paid a reasonable amount wouldn't seem like a bad option...

jasonjdr
28th Aug 2008, 09:01
Heard a rumour from someone who was just offered a position. He was told that recruitment is now on hold until next year :sad:

Dont know if this applies to candidates who have already been interviewed and are still waiting an answer? (me being one! :uhoh:) Or, if successful, we go in a hold pool. Or, it means that there will be no more interviews until next year?

Guess I will just have to wait and see :ugh:

Callsign Kilo
28th Aug 2008, 10:36
Due to turnover being low TR courses have been cancelled from November to February and the pilot recruitment days at EMA in Sept have been cancelled as a result. As far as I understand training will recommence next year and information will be supplied on the FR website.

And for the information, cadets do get paid during line training (I can testify to that). I was one of the last to have the old ryanair training contract, however my understanding now is that under Brookfield pay is 35 euro per block hour until LT is complete (less 4.5e). However, get yourself a good accountant and set yourself up as a sole trader and that 4.5e becomes a reclaimable expense.

The whole thing works for me. Fantastic training, stable roster, good flying in some challenging environments, and a good wage. Plus I have been given some nice annual leave for August and a decent base so I'm smiling.

jasonjdr
28th Aug 2008, 11:03
Just got the call..................and i'm IN, yeeeeha!!:E:E:E:E:E

As a semi oldie wannabe this is just the break I needed (I had initially finished OATS back in Oct 2001! and had been doing non-aviation work since)

Anyway, going off to celebrate now :8

Kempus
28th Aug 2008, 11:15
Second that what pressman says! Bout time they slowed down and gave us already in a few extra hours!

jasonjdr
28th Aug 2008, 11:27
I'm booked in for CAE on the 29th Sept, so guess I must be on the last one!

Kerosine
28th Aug 2008, 11:45
Congrats Jason, it's nice to hear good news in the doom and gloom!

:ok::ok:

jasonjdr
28th Aug 2008, 12:01
Thanks.

For the guys already done the TR. Is there any recommended prep work I can do for the course you think it would be best for me to cover?

Thanks in advance.

Kerosine
28th Aug 2008, 12:49
Day Dreamer, can we not have more posts like yours in this place?

Maybe you can do the same for the CTC thread (http://www.pprune.org/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/250640-ctc-wings-cadets-thread-part-2-a-58.html#post4356562)!

Finals19
28th Aug 2008, 13:52
Go for your dream there will be little available jobs out there once the US and European layoffs take effect this winter, but RYR will still be in there expanding.

Yeah right. Ryan Air have hedged their fuel costs by only 3% and they have a large proportion of discretionary leisure routes. As leisure demand rapidly drops off, I wouldn't be too sure about ongoing expansion. Lets hope oil doesn't start to sky rocket again....

IrishJetdriver
29th Aug 2008, 02:08
Well done Jason, don't cock it up!!!

Check out smartcockpit.com. The site is run by a Ryanair training captain so he knows his stuff about the 737NG.

The CBT in CAE is crap but the manuals supplied are thorough. Generally a question bank floating around so get one when you go to STO or AMS. Of the 2, apparently STO is the better facility. AMS is easier to get to from London area as obviously a lot closer.

Don't waste time getting accomodation sorted. If you drive to EMA and book in advance you can get really good deals at travelodge at EMA. I stayed for £15 per night last year booked on the net. Accomodation at CAE, if that is where you go is hard to get.

Check your PM, I'll give you a good address for CAE.

Otherwise make sure your IF skills are ok within reason, but don't get too excited about it. 2 crew operation on a jet is a whole new ballgame.

D O Guerrero
29th Aug 2008, 13:55
I was accepted to start at EMA in September and was told that it was going to be the last course until next year.
I did wonder if that was a tactic to get me to cough up and accept an earlier course than I would have liked, but seems to be backed up by what others are posting.

corsair
29th Aug 2008, 16:18
Heard of another guy getting in the other day. Again for September. Bit of a pattern forming.

AKAFresh
30th Aug 2008, 00:24
Hey guys was reading a thread called "Ryanair Recruitment - latest update!" in the Terms and Endearment section might be of interest to you guys.

Quote from the thread:
"P2 type rating courses cancelled for Nov, Dec 08 and Jan, Feb 09."

ps dont know how true this is but its information none the less!

Good Luck to all.

EK4457
30th Aug 2008, 10:12
Jasondr, when did you do your assesment? How long did it take for them to get back to you?

Well done BTW!

EK

adwjenk
30th Aug 2008, 11:27
The above information regarding Ryanair is correct as of a company memo relased a few days ago!

IRISHinUS
30th Aug 2008, 21:00
Any of you guys go to Ryanair as a direct entry FO (non 737 rated)?

I have got the 3000+ TT with 2000+ at an airline on a Regional Jet (but over here in the US). Just wondering if anyone has any experience with that and how it worked out for you?

(and yes I know about the 14 written exams to convert my ATPL to JAA - already working on it :{)

jasonjdr
31st Aug 2008, 13:33
EK4457,

Thanks.

Assessment was 19th and got the news on the 28th.

doctordoom
17th Sep 2008, 16:10
We have recently been inundated with applications from pilots whose employers (such as Zoom,Futura and XL) have gone bust in the past few weeks. We are also receiving applications from pilots who fear that their airline may go bankrupt shortly.

Since we already have more than treble the applications we require for our possible future needs we have decided to impose a recruitment freeze with immediate effect (from 15th September) until further notice. This freeze will be reviewed again in early January 2009. Training courses already scheduled for October will be run as planned, however no further recruits will be added to these courses.

Delayed aircraft deliveries due to the Boeing strike and a close to zero pilot attrition rate in recent months means that we are currently overstaffed in our pilot/flight operations department.

Taken from Ryanair website, guess that answers my question :\

727 Whisper Jet
17th Sep 2008, 22:22
Well here is my story. I had my assessment in July. I was offered a training course. Yea for me! Well now I had a list of things to do...on my nickel. about 3000 quid worth. Finally got all the clerical prerequisites done. Then just found out training courses were cancelled indefinately. I hope Boeing ends this strike soon!