PDA

View Full Version : ATPL Distance learning : What do employers think ?

vintage
12th Aug 2008, 07:47
Hi,
I am thinking about doing my ATPL with distance learing at Bristol.
I was wondering when applying at an airliner if ATDL distance learning is a disadvantage on your resume or not ?
Is doing ATPL fulltime at a groundschool more appreciated or do airliners not care where and how you did your ATPL.
Has anybody experience with this ?

Thanks !

Whirlygig
12th Aug 2008, 08:50
I doubt very much whether they care.

Cheers

Whirls

Daniel777
12th Aug 2008, 08:58
Hey,

I would also be interested in doing the ATPL's with one organisation and the flight training with another.
Do most employers make a big deal out of this? Or is it much more preferable to do everything with one organisation even if it's modular training?
Will the place of my PPL license and hour buliding be printed on the CPL license or only the place of the commercial training and ATPL theory?

Thanks!

hollingworthp
12th Aug 2008, 08:59
I can't see why they would be bothered. They would be more interested in whether you have a 1st series IR etc.

acuba 290
12th Aug 2008, 11:28
I think, nothing is printed on license, regarding where it was done?

jez d
12th Aug 2008, 12:45
For those choosing the modular training route, airlines tend to prefer flight training to be undertaken at no more than two schools (three at a push).This means they can be relatively confident that you have been taught to a consistent level.

With reference to groundschool, it doesn't really matter whether you choose distance learning or integrated, as your pass mark will reflect your knoweldge level. I would say however, that distance learning is a much bigger challenge than being taught in a classroom, and I have the utmost respect for those who choose to go down that route.

Jez

MIKECR
12th Aug 2008, 13:24
New regulations on the horizon will soon mean that all frozen atpl training will have to be conducted at a maximum of 2(think its 2!) approved FTO's only.

As for distance learning versus full time classroom, I cant see any airline giving a monkeys two hoots. A first time IR pass however is a totally different case.

billa
12th Aug 2008, 14:04
If airlines were fussy or cared about the Distant learning Vs integrated, the BristolGroundSchool would have closed long ago or gone bankrupt....

Its (BGS) thriving popularity and large number of students world over suggests that airlines really don’t care...You shouldn’t worry..:ok:

CABUS
12th Aug 2008, 15:23
I have just started with a well known UK jet operator and they didnt even care that I was modular (quite rightly) so definatly no mention of distance learning, the only question that was asked was if I passed my CPL/IR first time. I really dont think it matters.

Best of luck.:ok:

G SXTY
12th Aug 2008, 22:59
They're much more interested in a first series IR pass than where / how you passed the ATPLs. That said, they may well note the commitment required to pass the writtens distance learning while working full time (it got a mention at my interview).

Distance learning certainly won't do you any harm.

Pjlot
12th Aug 2008, 23:27
Statistics prove that 80% of low hours (fATPL) pilots recruited by the airlines are those who have completed their training via the modular route. (BA being the exception)

As already mention most airlines insist on no more than 2 training providers if undertaking modular training.

As far the distance learning ATPL verses full time ATPL, I would think that a first time pass and good results are more important to the airlines than what method! It takes a lot more discipline & motivation to study at home rather than in a class room setting!

dougy24
17th Aug 2008, 00:46
I did mine with BGS, I would recommend them, excellent teaching and help etc, as for employers, I was never asked at one interview who, where or what my marks were, but did you get a first pass in IR came up lots?

D