PDA

View Full Version : Questions about Spicejet

Nevrekar
12th Aug 2008, 05:53
I have been getting a few queries regarding happenings at Spicejet. While I can honestly say that I am not necessarily in the "know" I am posting my personal observations for those who have asked. I had posted earlier for ATA and ALOHA guys. I can't be sure how many made it here as I have not heard from any ATA/ALOHA folks since their arrival here.

1. Cadet program is no more. No slots for anyone.

2. New type rated F/O's also laid off recently(I believe 14-15).

3. 4 Indian Capts left in the last 12 months for "greener pastures." Only time will tell if they made the right decision.

4. No new expat hiring at the moment. A few new Indian Capts in training.

5. Possibility of additional F/O's being furloughed if fleet size stays at 15.

6. I'm told some expats asked to extend their leave. As Spicejet leave is unpaid, it saves the company money. Not sure if/when these lads will return.
Some perhaps have decided to go elsewhere while others might adapt a wait and see approach depending on their individual situation. At any given time there are probably 20-30 Captains on leave.

7. WL Ross investment seems to be firm and holding (USD 80-100M). That should tide us over until the new year I expect. Load factors recently have been dismal (not just us). Flights have been cancelled due to "lack of interest." Flying for Capts has dropped from 100 + a month to less than 75.
Some expats are unhappy about this as they were counting on overtime.
Personally I am quite happy with 75-80 hrs/month. It gives me the time I need to balance work and family life here in India. You may recall my gripe earlier was not getting the days off I needed per the contract. Looks like for now the pendulum has swung the other way.

8. CEO left for Indigo. No new appointment as yet. Captain Jack Ekl is still CP and Captain Jatti Dhillon is the VP/Flt Ops.

9. Spicejet remains a friendly, warm and professional place to work despite all the talk of financial gloom and doom. Paychecks to date have been early as always.

Hope this helps answer some of your questions.

flying_monkey99
12th Aug 2008, 08:06
The aviation industry is like any others.... fluctuating and aligning to the market variables. Though the situation is definitely grim at the moment (and here i am not singling out spicejet, but indian aviation as a whole), it would definitely ease out in about a year's time.

It's high time the airlines stopped bleeding each other by selling tickets at low prices just to get higher load factors. At the end of the day, its like any other business. They need to make money.

Passengers will definitely travel, even if they need to shell out more moolah to get that seat. Don't we all still drive paying almost twice as much as we used to for fuel ??

bad_attitude
12th Aug 2008, 15:10
the 14 f/o's which were laid off, were called back ... they had a meeting yesterday ...

can the management make up its mind once and for all? they have made a mockery of themselves.

av8r76
14th Aug 2008, 06:06
Kinda tough for mgmt to show a human and financial capital loss amounting to 2.4 crores in one fell swoop. Complete lack of manpower planning and foresight has landed both SG and these poor guys and gals in a conundrum.:hmm:

Shaman
14th Aug 2008, 13:15
I can't be sure how many made it here as I have not heard from any ATA/ALOHA folks since their arrival here.

Hopefully, they thanked you for the information............

bad_attitude
15th Aug 2008, 01:12
one more comment about the SG cadet program ... all 123 cadets which had been taken on, were given the boot.

out of the 123 cadets, 10 were taken on and sent for their sim training. these 10 f/o's were also given the boot. this was done in a very unprofessional manner.

the airline never had a requirement for a 123 cadets ... ironically, not even a single cadet has a job with it now.

some people became very rich in the process.

av8r76
15th Aug 2008, 06:51
What's more brazen about this is that they are STILL advertising and recruiting for cadets on the SG and UA website.
Highway robbery.:mad:

FM99..... unlike the west where aviation is almost an essential service, flying is still considered a luxurious domain of the rich. The mindset is validated by the gov't through exorbitant taxes/levies which it perceives the 'rich/well off' can afford to shell out for the privilege of flying. Until this perception changes aviation in India will always be an afterthought for the general public.

wonder
23rd Aug 2008, 15:16
anyone knows where is he now? PM if you would.

Nevrekar
24th Aug 2008, 01:34
Wonder--Please PM me with your details. There is a chance I might be able to get a word to him through common friends.

Wingtip66
27th Oct 2008, 11:55
Hi

does anybody of you know were Jack is?

Nevrekar
27th Oct 2008, 13:08
Jack left last month. From what I hear he is stateside.

Left Wing
28th Oct 2008, 04:20
is Jatti still there or has he left too !..word was he went back to Oman Air ??

Nevrekar
28th Oct 2008, 05:43
I am on leave but as far as I know he is still with Spicejet. His rumoured departure to Oman Air has been floating around for two months or more now.
Nothing official has been mentioned. Even when Capt Jack Ekl left, everyone seemed to know through the grapevine that he was leaving and the date etc.
But there was no official confirmation of such. He just left. His name still appears on the roster in an "inactive/NDA" status. They are rumours that he was to return as COO etc etc. It seems like often times we are the last to know. Employees are not given any advance information

sky jet
28th Oct 2008, 11:18
I handed off an aircraft last night to Captain Dhillon.

Rotorhead1026
28th Oct 2008, 12:39
I handed off an aircraft last night to Captain Dhillon

That's good ... if you work for SpiceJet :) . Guess you weren't in Orlando.

sky jet
28th Oct 2008, 14:34
Home is home, and India is well, er... not home.:rolleyes: