PDA

View Full Version : Uniform in Public?

nick0021
11th Aug 2008, 22:37
Hi all...

I know this is a bit of a Gash thread, but have a quick question which I'm sure you'll be able to help with. What is the official policy on the military wearing their uniform in public? It was encouraged on my last squadron, but not sure if that was squadron specific. I'm wondering in particular about wether or not it would be appropriate whilst a attending civilian wedding? Any advice is appreciated.

Regards,

N

spanners123
11th Aug 2008, 23:03
Have you checked SSO's?

The Helpful Stacker
12th Aug 2008, 01:01
I'm not sure what current gen is but up until I handed my kit in last October we were allowed to wear uniform in public and I'm sure that around about 2003 DCI's were released positively encouraging the wearing of uniform off station/base.

Obviously thing might have changed post Peterborough!:mad:

Now if folks can wear uniform is one thing, whether they should is another and I don't mean for security reasons.

I spotted one of the AFCO Nottingham RAF full screws in town the other week, hands in pockets and sans beret and with a shirt that didn't appear to have a very close relationship with an iron. If this is the standards at the house of fibs then no wonder there are so many scruffy erks about these days.:=

Climebear
12th Aug 2008, 07:39
Details from the Dress Regs AP on the RAF Website (http://www.raf.mod.uk/organisation/uniforms.cfm):

Wearing of Uniform in Public (UK) (QR 199)

0110. All RAF personnel at UK units should normally wear civilian clothes when they are not required for duty. However, unless otherwise ordered,
No 1 and No 2 uniform modes may be worn routinely in public, on public transport, on foot or in private transport. This ruling must take into account security implications and a commonsense approach to local situations. The remaining paragraphs of this Chap also detail particular situations when uniform can and cannot be worn. Local orders, i.e. SSOs, SRO’s, etc, will detail current circumstances regarding the wearing of uniform. Uniform is not to be worn on the following occasions:

a. When participating in non-Service parades (e.g. on Remembrance Day, Battle of Britain Day, etc) serving officers are forbidden to wear
uniform if conditions require them to appear in the ranks with serving or ex-Service personnel below commissioned rank. This does not
preclude the wearing of uniform by those officiating at a saluting base or appearing officially with a party of civic officials.

b. Uniform is not to be worn by prospective or adopted parliamentary candidates at political meetings, or while canvassing, appearing in public
or engaged in any other activities connected with their candidature.

c. Uniform is not to be worn at functions where fancy dress is worn; the wearing of uniform of obsolete design, which is clearly distinguishable
from the pattern currently worn, is, however, permitted.

d. Uniform is not to be worn by personnel engaged in temporary or part-time civil employment or while seeking such employment.

[e]. When visiting Public Houses or places of entertainment and/or consuming alcohol, unless at a recognised Service function or when officially representing the Service at an external function.

f. Relaxed Dress. There may be occasions when a relaxed form of dress is appropriate, such as in DOR activities. Any Commanders proposing to initiate a relaxed dress policy is to obtain formal approval from the Chairman of the Dress Policy Committee.

KG86
12th Aug 2008, 08:18
I think the wearing of uniform in public is an excellent thing, and was only stopped in the 70s because of the IRA threat. Clearly, we face a different threat today, but I suppose the risk to us, on the streets, is low.

But why, oh why, do individuals serving in MOD London have to wear civilian clothes? The controllers of the Services are a bunch of suits!

If you go to Washington, and travel on the underground there, you will come across many service men and women, in smart uniform, heading to and from the Pentagon. Let's see the same in London.

ZH875
12th Aug 2008, 08:23
If you go to Washington, and travel on the underground there, you will come across many service men and women, in smart uniform, heading to and from the Pentagon. Let's see the same in London.

Maybe if the UK forces were issued a uniform that could be kept smart, instead of the whatever came from the 'Costa-Lot-Less' supplier uniform that is issued, they could appear smart.

Pay peanuts, get a monkey suit.

BluntM8
12th Aug 2008, 08:33
Nick, I've had a couple of occasions recently where I've wanted to wear my No 1s in public (and one when I didn't but that was RIAT!). In both cases, I phoned the SWO and spoke to him beforehand. He was absolutley fine about my request both times, and in fact offered to lend me a black armband for one of them.

I would suggest you give him a call and ask directly. It's a reasonable request so you are very unlikely to get your head bitten off, and when he says yes you can do so with a clear conscience.

Hope this helps.

Blunty

cornish-stormrider
12th Aug 2008, 10:39
so long as the swo isn't a complete toss4r. The ratio I experienced was about 4:1 with the toss4r's having the 4.

A good swo is worth their weight in gold, I had two who were very helpful with simialr circumstances.......

And a total F5ckwit who wanted me to carry a rucksac his way and not the way Headley Court told me to. Many thanks to the Colonel at Headley for his assistance, I've paid money to have listened in on that conversation.

Uniform wise, I can't see much wrong as long as you look smart as a bast4rd......

Even the RAF bus conductor outfit by the lowest bidder pulls girlies at a wedding....

PPRuNe Pop
12th Aug 2008, 10:54
Wear your uniform with pride. The trend is growing and people love to see it.

You may not see it, and you may not feel it, but when you are in uniform you bring out the pride in ordinary people too. You represent what is good about our armed forces.

Whenurhappy
12th Aug 2008, 11:57
I recently attended a wedding and wore my Home Service Dress (ie No 1s) with medals, along with an AD colleague, who unaccountably, seems to have mis-placed his medals! Anyway, after the service I judged it appropriate to change out of uniform and into a more sober suit. Suprisingly, a number of people came up and expressed their disappointment - typically along the lines of 'We see so few people in uniform and we wanted to ask you about your medals'.

In contrast, however, I see a lot of service personnel travelling by train (given away by their luggage) on the West Coast line - and judging by their manner and talk, overwhelmingly Army. On a number of occasions they have been boorish, loud and drunk; indeed I intervened on one occasion and showed my ID card when two young lads, albeit fresh from AFG, were being particularly objectionable and bringing no credit upon their Service at all. If they had been in uniform, the PR damage would have been greater.

I agree that uniform should be worn more readily (General Staff in MOD wear it on Wednesdays now), but there is a time and a place for it.

Climebear
12th Aug 2008, 13:07
General Staff in MOD wear it on Wednesdays now

But why not on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday?

ZH875
12th Aug 2008, 13:32
But why not on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday?

Because it looks silly on a golf course.:)

The Helpful Stacker
12th Aug 2008, 13:36
Aye, assessment sticks are more important to climbing the greasy pole than uniform.

PPRuNeUser0211
12th Aug 2008, 13:53
Indeed, it's quite amazing how many of the new black holdalls you see kicking up and down the trains, and going onto the plane for domestic flights as well. Mostly marines in my neck of the wood though

Whenurhappy
12th Aug 2008, 15:01
Actually, they probably do wear uniform most days, but being Army officers, there are no two dressed the same!

exairman
12th Aug 2008, 19:49
Wear it with pride.

I believe all Service personnel should also wear it whenever on duty travel even outside of the normal work place be that to or from work, meetings with civilian companies, etc, etc. If a civilian company wants the MoD money, then expect a uniform at the door if you want a meeting with us.

:D

gar170
12th Aug 2008, 20:14
I think all should wear their uniform in public but i do wish that if they do can they not at least wear it with pride and correctly. Saw a female pongo this morning at the motorway services on the M5 in CS95 no head dress hand in pocket wandering around the on mobile.
Hard for the public to have pride in you if you don't have any for your self.

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Aug 2008, 20:51
And that is just one reason why I never wear my uniform overtly in public, there always there is always some sad swo minded muppet where ever you go :rolleyes:

gar170
12th Aug 2008, 21:10
And that is just one reason why I never wear my uniform overtly in public, there always there is always some sad swo minded muppet where ever you go

you dont need to be SWO minded muppet to know how to wear uniform correctly.But if thats the way you feel, and that you are not capable of it then maybe its best you dont.:ok:

Seldomfitforpurpose
12th Aug 2008, 22:03
"you dont need to be SWO minded muppet to know how to wear uniform correctly"

I totally agree but you generally do "need to be a SWO minded muppet" if you feel the need to come on here bleating about how you saw someone improperly dressed one day........................if the cap fits Sir and, as you clearly know how to wear it.........................:D

taxydual
12th Aug 2008, 22:33
I wore the blue.

Stuff what other people say, they don't count.

They didn't wear the blue.

parabellum
13th Aug 2008, 00:08
Looks as though we have come a long way, (down?) since it wasn't possible to set foot on say, Waterloo station without coming under intense scrutiny from MPs, Air Force Police and RN Police. God help anyone who wasn't properly dressed, including officers!:=

Gainesy
13th Aug 2008, 08:43
Is the ban on uniforms in Peterborough still in force at Wittering?

gar170
13th Aug 2008, 18:43
I totally agree but you generally do "need to be a SWO minded muppet" if you feel the need to come on here bleating about how you saw someone improperly dressed one day........................if the cap fits Sir and, as you clearly know how to wear it.........................:D

Dont call me sir i work for a living and yes i do know how to wear it when in uniform now i don't have to wear uniform i dont need my cap easy really.

Seldomfitforpurpose
13th Aug 2008, 23:11
"Dont call me sir i work for a living and yes i do know how to wear it when in uniform now i don't have to wear uniform i dont need my cap easy really."

Does the above gobbledygook mean you are actually a civilian.............:confused:

14greens
13th Aug 2008, 23:23
wear it on way home from work, and yep do sometimes bounce in to town, does hack me off having to have a word with Wg Cdrs about them not being arsed to wear headgear in town though, if they cant be bothered to have pride in the uniform then I certainly am not going to be bothered to pay compliments to the commission they hold!!! should be setting the example.

lets encourage it, but make sure its worn correctly, if you cannot be bothered to wear the uniform then go home get changed