PDA

View Full Version : Pilots Log Book question

Alvin Steele
11th Aug 2008, 21:05
Hi folks

I got my PPL back in '95 in Florida and still have the Jeppesen green paged pilots log book.
Question is, I'd like to change to a 'UK style' log book before the current one is filled up.
I'm sure I heard or read somewhere that I can start a new log book, before the 'Jep' is finished so long as I still keep the original with me when I fly.
Is this true?
Hope it makes sense,

Tim

littco
11th Aug 2008, 21:53
Absolutely.

Recently did the same. If you copy the old entry's into the new log book then you don't need to carry it when you fly. You do though if you just start the new log book without copying the info over.

However, when you submit or take the log books to the CAA for anything license related you will always need both.

Alvin Steele
11th Aug 2008, 22:02
Many thanks for the reply littco, think I'll opt for the 'carrying the old one with me' option.......I'll find room in the flightbag by ditching something else (not the hip flask though);)

Thanks again:ok:

Edited to say.....I would copy the entries over....but how does that work when there are instructors/examiners signatures against some?....Or have I misunderstood?

MIKECR
11th Aug 2008, 22:04
Alvin,

There is a legal requirement to log the hours that you fly, however, you can log the hours in any format as you see fit, as long as theyre logged. Write them in a fancy proffesional pilots log book, record them on computer software, write them on the back of a fag packet, it makes no odds.....as long as you keep some kind of record.

flybymike
11th Aug 2008, 23:15
Regarding "entries on a fag packet," I remember my wizened old 10,000 hour CFI telling me that he once got a bollocking from the CAA for not transferring his fag packet entries to his log book entries frequently enough....;)

Alvin Steele
11th Aug 2008, 23:29
Weighing up the options,and taking into account all available evidence.
I'm going to carry the old one....although the 'fag packet' method only lost out due to the fact that I'm a non smoker.

jxk
12th Aug 2008, 05:58
As well as the usual P1/PUT entries try and record: cross country, t/os, landings, stalls, and any other types of flying by adding extra columns in your logbook; I've been asked for these figures when applying for licences in Australia and New Zealand. No doubt other countries will have different requirements to that of the UK and US; anyway it makes for more interesting reading when you reach your dotage.

Whopity
12th Aug 2008, 08:40
What is with the need to carry your log book when you fly? Is that a Euro requirement?No there is no such requirement in either the UK or Europe to carry a log book that includes students. However; there is a curious entry in JAR-FCL 1.080 that says:
(2) A student pilot shall carry his flight time record logbook with him on all solo cross-country flights as evidence of the required instructor authorisations. But in Europe there is no requirement for Instructor Authorisations in the log book! Clearly this was copied in ignorance from FAR-AIM!

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Aug 2008, 09:38
What is this mania for requiring documents to be carried in the aircraft?

Just to make absolutely sure that if you crash and burn then nobody has a clue what state the paperwork was in??

A requirement to leave the paperwork on the ground would seem more sensible!!

1800ed
12th Aug 2008, 11:11
You're not required to carry your logbook with you in flight, you just need to be able to produce it within reasonable time if asked by an authority.

Gertrude the Wombat
12th Aug 2008, 19:11
So in the UK there is no stamp or signatures in the logbook letting the Student go off solo or x-ctry?
Correct.

There are, however, likely to be signatures in the authorisation book back at base ... slightly more useful in the case of a crash and burn.