PDA

View Full Version : FAA -> JAA 'conversion' (o noes, not this again)

mattpilot
11th Aug 2008, 19:35
ok .. so bare with me please.

I went to a german FTO and asked for info on how to go from FAA CPL/ME/IR to JAA (f)ATPL.

Basically it came down to:

- Get 1st class medical
- Start ground school and wait minimum of 8 months before taking all 14 tests.
- Once tests completed, start flying. Need minimum of 55 hours for CPL/ME and minimum of 15 hours for IR.

Although it was said that the FTO can credit UP TO 50% of those hours based on previous experience. So a total of 35 hours minimum. Furthermore it was said that 100% of those hours, minus the check flights, can theoretically be done in simulators.

It was also said that the IR checkflight would have to be done first before the CPL/ME, but i don't see that happening without having "a" JAA license first? Maybe i got confused.

Does that sound right? The IR part seems ok to me, but 55 hours for CPL seems to be a bit high? I tried reading the JAR FCL thingie but imo the requirements don't seem to be as clear as how the FAA publishes it (or i'm just to dumb to comprehend it.)

Thanks for any clarification. :8

Sudan19
12th Aug 2008, 11:20
as far as i know (might be wrong) to convert your CPL it is hours as required. and for your IR 15 hours or so.
but if you were doing full training and taking IR first then IR 55 hours CPL 15 hours.

someone else might confirm or correct this.

Whirlygig
12th Aug 2008, 11:54
I don't whether Germany has local differences to UK JAA but, in the UK, you would need

Class 1 medical

JAA ATPL exams - depending on the number of hours you have on your FAA licence, you may or may not be exempt the classroom element. You may have to enrol with a groundschool but I don't know of any 8 month "wait". It may take you 8 months to get through the 14 exams but there is no minimum time.

From the flying point of view, it is hours required to pass the CPL skill test - there are no minimum amounts. For the JAA IR, there is a minimum of a 15 hour conversion course.

Cheers

Whirls

mattpilot
12th Aug 2008, 14:29
Thanks for the input :ok:

I figured it seemed a bit high. Although i bolded' germany for a reason as i suspect there might be some regional differences, as whirly pointed out.

I don't suppose someone here could provide the reg # in the UK JAR-FCL version so i can look up the same in the german one.

mattpilot
12th Aug 2008, 14:33
Just noticed this:

JAA ATPL exams - depending on the number of hours you have on your FAA licence, you may or may not be exempt the classroom element. You may have to enrol with a groundschool but I don't know of any 8 month "wait". It may take you 8 months to get through the 14 exams but there is no minimum time.

The FTO owner said that the 8 months is a minimum requirement that the Gov't set so you don't 'rush' through the program.

Having been a flight instructor in the states (900hr TT) , i'm pretty up to date on the knowledge areas and pretty much only gotta study the Regulations (or so i figure.)

If there's a way i can skip the 8 months waittime i'd be very greatful.

C-141Starlifter
12th Aug 2008, 16:55
Matt,

These exams are nothing like the FAA exams. They are very much in depth. You would be hard pressed to pass them without a significant amount of study. Myself as well as a few colleagues with more than 10000hrs of heavy time found them challenging. Being an FI in the US won't hurt you, but it won't necessarily guarantee success. My colleague, a former Quantas CAPT also found them tough even with 14,000hrs...
Unfortunately our CAA required us to take all 14!

Lifter

INNflight
12th Aug 2008, 17:08
Thx for the thread mattpilot, I'm in the same shoes as you are, info is very much appreciated.

If there's a way i can skip the 8 months waittime i'd be very greatful.

Well....IF that's really a German regulation, why not convert to another country's JAA license? UK license or Austrian or Swiss or whatever.

Figured it doesn't really matter whether you hold a German or other license, right?

mattpilot
12th Aug 2008, 17:29
@INNflight

Not particulary hung up on the german procedures - its just that i live in germany atm and i figured i'd be the cheapest way of doing it without having to travel far. IF however there are 'faster' ways in the UK, i'd very much be interested in that.

@Starlifter

Thanks for those thoughts. Yea, i figure it will be much more indepth and not easy like the FAA stuff, although i'd imagine at this stage for me its just about remembering much more (since the understanding is there). I'm not going to just brush it off though either.

I read over the German JAR-FCL 1 a bit more and in Section A 1.016 it gives a bit more insight, but nothing 'definite'.

For example it says that for those who already have a IR on a non-JAA license who is seeking a equal type of JAA license have to fulfill the requirements of JAR-FCL. In the next sentence it states that the actual length of the theoretical studies & the flight portion can be less. Inquiries should be made by the FTO to the local field offices of the german aviation authorities for approval (That is if i read & translated that right).

The thing is.. it doesn't say how much less or give any specifics, which is irritating :ugh: Does that mean its different for each FTO or different for each pilot/student ?