PDA

View Full Version : Chopper hits lines, cuts power in NZ

Akutan
11th Aug 2008, 08:36
Electricity is being restored to more than 150 homes near Dargaville after a helicopter touched power lines this morning.

The Robinson 44 helicopter was undergoing agriculture work at around 9am when it touched on the 11,000 volt lines. The chopper has minor damage, but landed comfortably and there are no reports of anyone onboard being injured.

Northpower network services manager Kelvin Whaley says electricity was cut to 166 homes by the fault the helicopter caused on the lines on Paiawa Rd, southeast of Dargaville. He says cellphone coverage is poor so the details are basic, but he is confident everything will be restored by the end of the day.

Civil Aviation Authority spokesperson Bill Sommer says the helicopter was carrying out agricultural work. He says the CAA is expecting more information later today.

Hughesy
12th Aug 2008, 04:24
Wow!!
Two posts by this fulla (also the Haast helicopter one) and both are news reports on NZ heli crashes.

Yeesh:confused:

ecureilx
12th Aug 2008, 06:19
"The Robinson 44 helicopter was undergoing agriculture work at around 9am when it touched on the 11,000 volt lines. The chopper has minor damage, but landed comfortably and there are no reports of anyone onboard being injured."

How does a helicopter land comfortably after touching 11,000 volts ???

Sorry, I am not a pro .. just an enthusiast.

heli1
12th Aug 2008, 07:25
What a shocking story !

K48
12th Aug 2008, 08:56
I was in NZ and I heard, the pilot's name was a woman called Ella Trick, co pilot Sparky Ball. The owner was a Trans Form from Hydro City. Apparently sparks flew when he heard the news, his hair was on end.. before he started pulling it out.

This is a rumour network,;)

p.s Glad everyohm is 0 k.

david_in_nz
13th Aug 2008, 06:48
who's R44 was it?

LordGrumpy
13th Aug 2008, 06:56
who's R44 was it?

One operated by Galvan O Meter?

Pilot DAR
13th Aug 2008, 13:19
Perhaps operated by de ener guys...