PDA

View Full Version : Perhaps something we can all agree on?

Bootneck
10th Aug 2008, 20:27
This was posted yesterday by a friend of mine. Your thoughts folks.

Vine is a 'comedian'. Presently appearing in Edinburgh.

Tim Vine on the Last Post:
Laughing at school is the heartiest laughing you will ever do in your life. When you discover yourself in the wonderful world of teendom, you start finding the smallest of situations uproariously funny. As long as you are with your buddies, anything can quickly become a recipe for hysteria, particularly at someone else’s expense. And of all the scenarios most likely to bring on waves of barely stifled guffaws, at the top of the list, for me, was always the occasion when you must not laugh. Being in an enclosed space with my mates, knowing that laughter would be wholly inappropriate, was the surest way to make it start.

This brings me to a piece of music that has been close to my heart ever since my school days. I refer to The Last Post, that strangely haunting tune, played on one trumpet, that never quite seems to get started. It begins with two sustained notes, then, almost as though the composer was trying to attract someone’s attention on the other side of the room, repeats the two notes and a couple of others at about five times the speed. There’s a moment to reflect, then the two notes again. Who it was that decided this comedy melody, played on — let’s face it — a rather amusing instrument, should be performed after two minutes’ silence to remember people who died in the war, I don’t know, but for me and my friends it was irresistible. Having just spent the longest two minutes of our lives trying to avoid actually exploding with laughter, the fact that the silence was broken by this tune of all tunes, and usually played by a fellow pupil who sounded as though he’d taken up the trumpet only the previous day . . . Well, there was just no defence against it.

The shoulders rocked up and down like a piston. One hand was clasped over the mouth, with thumb and index finger pinching the nostrils for dear life. Involuntary splutters were unconvincingly followed by decoy coughs.

Yes, I love that tune for all the joy it brought me and all the memories it has given me, for there is nothing quite so life-affirming as looking sideways along a row of friends and seeing them all, to a man, heads down, chins against their chests, faces contorted, each fighting his own private ordeal.

Even now, with my school days having long since disappeared from my rear-view mirror, I can still vividly recall the sound of that wavering trumpet note, the backward snort of a smothered laugh and the sight of a bubble ballooning from my best mate’s nose. The Last Post. Thank goodness it didn’t have lyrics.

The comedian Tim Vine will be appearing at the Pleasance Courtyard, Edinburgh, until August 16

What a ****,

Now a letter written to him by a Royal Marines major.

Dear Mr Vine,

I suspect I will be only one of many who were outraged at your rather unpleasant and flippant 'piece' in the Sunday Times 'Culture' supplement regarding the Last Post, or 'comedy melody' as you put it.

Whilst I'm sure your intention was not to offend, I can't believe that someone of your obvious intellect (you do need to be clever to be a successful comedian) could have been insensible to the reaction your article would generate from serving and ex-members of the Armed Forces and their families/dependants.

I have been in the Royal Marines for 29 years and have lost many friends and colleagues over that time, killed whilst fighting for this country. So, the next time you feel 'compelled' to hold your silence, whilst marking respect for the thousands who have selflessly paid the highest price for this country, rather than suppressing the childish urge to laugh, perhaps you might take the time to reflect on the tragedy of each and every death in armed conflict, and consider the great sacrifices that were, and still are being, made to ensure you have the freedom of speech you so obviously enjoy today.

Under the circumstances, you might consider making a sincere, public apology. I for one would welcome it, and, who knows, if you did, you might even win back some modicum of respect from those in my profession who are involved in the deadly serious business of war fighting.

Yours sincerely,

P E Rhodes
Major, Royal Marines

Mr Vine's email addy and website.

Official Tim Vine Website (http://www.timvine.com/)

[email protected]

His list of venues, why not pop along and enjoy the show? He's appearing at Aldershot, I think he may regret choosing that particular venue once the lads on Arrse hear about him.

SEPTEMBER
2 SWANSEA GRAND THEATRE 8.00PM 01792 475715 City and County of Swansea - Grand Theatre (http://www.swanseagrand.co.uk)

5 YORK GRAND THEATRE 8.00PM 0844 847 2322 GRAND OPERA HOUSE YORK : OFFICIAL WEBSITE (http://www.grandoperahouseyork.org.uk)

6 GRIMSBY AUDITORIUM 8.00PM 0844 8472426 GRIMSBY AUDITORIUM : OFFICIAL WEBSITE (http://www.grimsbyauditorium.org.uk)

10 HAYES BECK THEATRE 8.00PM 0208 561 8371 Beck Theatre - An HQ Theatre (http://www.becktheatre.org.uk)

12 BIRMINGHAM ALEXANDRA THEATRE 8.00PM 0870 607 7533 ALEXANDRA THEATRE BIRMINGHAM : OFFICIAL WEBSITE (http://www.AlexandraTheatre.org.uk)

13 REDDITCH PALACE THEATRE 7.30PM 01527 65203 Palace Theatre, Redditch (http://www.redditchpalacetheatre.co.uk)

14 BRIGHTON THEATRE ROYAL 7.45PM 08700 606 650 Theatre Royal, Brighton: Diary (http://www.theambassadors.com/theatreroyal)

17 ALDERSHOT PRINCES HALL 7.45PM 01252 329 155 Princes Hall :: Homepage (http://www.princeshall.com)

18 CROYDON FAIRFIELD HALLS 7.45PM 020 8688 9291 www.fairfield.co.uk

19 SALFORD LOWRY 8.00PM 0870 787 5790 The Lowry Salford Quays: Theatres, Galleries, Restaurant, Cafés, Bars and Gift Shop (http://www.thelowry.com)

Bravo73
10th Aug 2008, 21:42
Does he fly helicopters too...? :E

;)

seang
11th Aug 2008, 00:11
Is this not a slightly dangerous practice of suggesting people should go to see this bloke (whoever he is) with some sort of revenge in mind? I thought this was a pilot's forum not a vigilante one. This geezer's comments are neither funny nor interesting (which is fairly common for "comedians" these days) but surely it's just better to ignore him than give him any credence? I just hope a bunch of squaddies in Aldershot don't turn up at his session there and beat the crap out of him after hearing about his comments from people on this site, that would be way beyond the responsibilities of a sensible forum frequented by sensible people, in my honest opinion, wouldn't it?

Arm out the window
11th Aug 2008, 01:50
No, I don't agree. Context is important.
I'm sure I've felt the emotion engendered by the Last Post at various Anzac days, funerals and memorials as much as anyone, and it's a powerful part of all that.
Tim Vine recalling funny occurrences from his school days doesn't detract from it, in my view, and I'm sure we've all had times where we found something funny at an inappropriate moment and had to choke back the sniggers. Well, I know I have, anyway.
Comedians often pull the piss out of sacred cows, and I'm glad we live in a society where you can do so without being targeted (literally) for saying the wrong thing about some religious figure or cultural icon.

heliduck
11th Aug 2008, 04:17
Didn't the people who we remember when we hear the "Last Post" make the ultimate sacrifice so the rest of us could enjoy the freedom of speech? Whether you agree with the comedian or not, they died so that everyone can say what they feel in a public forum without fear of retribution.

Lest we forget.

heliski22
11th Aug 2008, 04:45
Steady on, people - remember this.......

"I may not agree with what you say but I'll stand shoulder to shoulder with you in defence of your right to say it!"

11th Aug 2008, 05:46
Comedy, like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

Bootneck - if you want to complain, do it to Mr Vine. If his comedy offends you, that is a matter between you and him.

Tarman
11th Aug 2008, 07:07
His brother is BBC Radio 2's Jeremy Vine. Why don't you call his show and raise the issue and leave PPrune for aviation related matters ?

PANews
11th Aug 2008, 08:52
My understanding of humour is that it might be funny to some but only rarely to all.

It reads as is he was reciting a real event in his life, an incident that he looks back on with humour [he may be making it up of course]. He is passing this on to the audience.

Humour is supposed to touch nerves in one way or another I guess this 'joke' meets some measure of that and I have heard some black humour in my life from time to time. I did not like it all, was 'upset' by some, but I did not go to running a vendetta like this!

Tell a funny about the Last Post and you may upset the people closest to its meaning... in this case a Royal Marine or three.

Tell a funny about a same gender relationship and you may amuse a heterosexual but may alienate the people closest to its meaning ....

Tell a funny about an Irish person... and these days you may well go to prison unless you were born in Ireland...

But I guess you are not telling us that all humour is to be banned.... are you?

Now is this Rotorheads or talking heads?

Whirlygig
11th Aug 2008, 09:27
I don't think Tim Vine is particularly proud of his reaction to The Last Post but he has been honest and inappropriate responses like that may strike a chord with some of his audience.

The Last Post is an evocative and emotional piece of music, in or out of context, and most people will feel a need to express that emotion. When I hear it, I can feel myself welling up, bottom lippy all a-quiver and I may or may not be able to control this into stiff-upper-lip or I'll head for a full-scale blubbing. But I can do that in public, I'm a girl and girls are "allowed" to cry.

However, he and his friends were boys, children with all manner of hormones surging uncontrollably round their bodies and we all know that boys are not "allowed" to cry. But the emotion has to come out somehow, so it comes out as suppressed laughter. It is a reasonably common reaction to powerful situations; common enough that Tim Vine's piece was not particularly funny but it does have a ring of truth about it.

So, to Bootneck and the Royal Marine, please try to remember what it was like to be a teenager 20-40 years ago!

Cheers

Whirls

Senior Pilot
11th Aug 2008, 11:11
Rotorheads,

I've discussed this with Bootneck, and it really isn't a Rotorheads subject. Rather than delete or move it, I'm just going to close it so that current replies will remain visible :ok: