PDA

View Full Version : JAA HPPL where? any ideas please?

johnathannorton
10th Aug 2008, 01:54
Hello all,

I'm new to this forum and already I think I've made a huge financial saving as I was so close to choosing UKFT to do my JAA HPPL, and thanks to everyones info I'm now not ging to make that mistake, so thankyou all involved in that one. This now leads to a dilema I have? Where to go. I'm not really bothered where in The States although Florida or California is very appealing what with the clear weather and important financial saving as I'm self studying and it's taken a long time to save the money.

Does anyone have any usefull info for a very blind bat please? anything welcome.

Thanks.

Whirlygig
10th Aug 2008, 09:37
Do you mean PPL(H)? Helicopters? In that case, there is only Bristows Academy in Florida that do JAA licences; all others would be FAA and would involve a conversion if you want to fly in the UK afterwards. Read and search the threads on Rotorheads for the information you require.

If you're talking about something else, then I can't help!!

Cheers

Whirls

BHenderson
10th Aug 2008, 18:05
No conversion required if you want to fly solely for private/leisure purposes back in the UK. This gives you more options on schools in the States.

Ref: Air Navigation Order (http://www.opsi.gov.uk/si/si2005/20051970.htm#26) Part (4)

Whirlygig
10th Aug 2008, 22:20
An FAA licence has to be rendered valid by the CAA and this would probably involve taking the Air Law exam at least. I doubt there are many schools who will let an FAA licence holder self-fly hire without some retraining and therefore, the costs of this need to be factored in the overall cost to establish whether there is any saving.

Cheers

Whirls

Xorthis
11th Aug 2008, 00:26
Bhenderson is spot on. According to the CAA if you hold an FAA PPL(H) license you do not have to take any exams or extra training to fly a G reg aircraft in the UK; however as stated most flying clubs may require you to take extra training before allowing you use of their aircraft.

From FAQ Details | Personnel Licensing | Safety Regulation (http://www.caa.co.uk/default.aspx?catid=137&pagetype=70&gid=170&faqid=208)

Exercising the privileges of a JAA Licence or an ICAO licence in UK Registered Aircraft

http://www.caa.co.uk/applicationimages/groupfwd.gif We have received a number of enquiries from Non-UK licence holders about the privileges of their licence within the UK. The situation is as follows:-

Article 21, of the Air Navigation Order 2000, states, that a pilot must hold an appropriate licence granted either by the UK CAA or by a foreign authority and rendered valid under the ANO to fly a UK registered aircraft.

A JAA licence is deemed to be a licence rendered valid under the ANO unless the CAA in the particular case gives a direction to the contrary. A JAA licence is a licence issued in accordance with licensing and medical requirements of JAR-FCL by a full JAA Member State that has been recommended for mutual recognition by Central JAA (JAA Headquarters). For the current mutual recognition status of JAA Member States (http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/175/srg_fcl_mutual_recognition.pdf) please select this link.

A licence issued by any other ICAO Contracting State (including a JAA State that has not yet been recommended for mutual recognition) is also deemed to be valid under the ANO for the purposes of flying a UK registered aircraft, providing that the licence and medical are valid in accordance with the rules/laws of the issuing State, and the CAA does not in the particular case give direction to the contrary. However, Article 21 (4) (a) states that the holder of such a licence cannot:

1) Act as a member of the flight crew of any aircraft flying for the purpose of public transport or aerial work or on any flight in respect of which he receives remuneration for his services as a member of the flight crew; or

2) In the case of a pilot’s licence, act as a pilot of any aircraft flying in controlled airspace in circumstances requiring compliance with the Instrument Flight Rules or to give any instruction in flying.

Where a licence contains any extraordinary operational or medical limitations, individuals should contact PLD for advice.

However, as this is the professional study forum I expect you want to take your flying beyond the PPL so a conversion would probably be necessary, making a JAA license potentially easier in the long run. In the end though, it's all about the flying so good luck and have fun with whatever path you chose :D