PDA

View Full Version : Tool Control.

alouette3
9th Aug 2008, 12:47
I know this is not a pure flying related issue.But, as part of my safety functions, I have been asked to come up with a Tool Control plan for our mechanics.It has to be user friendly for one mechanic(not a dozen or so ,like the Services) and should work when he is working on our aircraft at two in the morning in a corn field in Podunk Mid Amercia.
Any suggestions and inputs as to how some one else does it?
Alt3.

Minty Fresh
9th Aug 2008, 13:00
Tool Control Plan when in a field.

Will there be any wildlife? This could effect the level of protection etc :E

Avtrician
9th Aug 2008, 13:05
A thin layer of high density foam, with cutouts for the tools. Stick foam to bottom of tool trays. Missing tools will be obvious. Shadows for any tools that hang on the sides.

A check before start of work, and after should ensure no tools are unaccounted for.

Doesnt matter if tools are used by one or ten engineers.:ok:

Lee Norberg
9th Aug 2008, 13:11
Alouette 3 wrote:

I have been asked to come up with a Tool Control plan for our mechanics.

Try some simple tool-box or point-of-issue inventory, tools taken must be returned and signed for.

Try this link:

Tool Control - December 2005 Issue - (Aircraft Maintenance Technology) (http://www.amtonline.com/publication/article.jsp?pubId=1&id=2007)

Lee N.
:ok:

ShyTorque
9th Aug 2008, 14:20
But who would sign the tools in again at 2 a.m. in a field location? The aircraft would probably need to be airborne again before the day shift came in, or there would be no point fixing it by night.

The shadow board / tool box recess as described is the best system I have experienced but even that isn't fully practical in a mobile situation.

DTibbals53
9th Aug 2008, 15:18
The cutout and shaddow system is OK, if properly monitored by the PIC. The pilot follows the eng/mech on work by renewing his/her preflight after maintenance is performed, right? So, simply have this look include a backup look at the tool inventory.

This plan is only complete if it includes consumables. By this, I mean rolls of safetywire, etc. which are used on the job. Further, if there are tools out because they are broken prior to the job being initiated, their blanks should be noted to the PIC prior to job initiation.

This is not a end all silver bullet fix, but it is merely more eyes on an out of control system as it stands today. It likewise is not intended to be an insult to the the mech, but merely a cooperative effort to ensure professional, safe services to the passengers and service requesting agencies.

Eng AW139
9th Aug 2008, 16:31
Tool control is a function of the quality system meaning each Engineer should have his tools uniquely marked and registered with the quality department.

Company tools are under control of the supply section and should be signed out against a aircraft undergoing maintenance.

This system should be in your company maintenance control manual.

alouette3
9th Aug 2008, 19:08
Firstly, thanks to all for the great replies. Please keep em coming.:ok:
Eng AW139:
That system might work in the maintenance shop . What I am looking for is how to monitor tools of a single mechanic at a base working autonomously. Everyone has their own system and it has worked so far.But that is out of luck rather than a system. The region I work in wants to standardize the procedure and has given this to me as a project. I am also getting inputs from the mechanics concerned but I just thought it would be good to throw out a wider net.
Alt3

chop_chop
9th Aug 2008, 20:55
I recall that the highways maintenance teams who work on gantries over live traffic have thier tools on strings attached to their belts (so they can't drop them on a passing vehicle).

Apply this here - take tool from box (with cut-outs and shadows), and clip it on the belt string. Or to be fail-safe, have each tool pre-attached to the box with a long string each, but things could start to get a bit tangled up...

For the modern techie solution, attach an RFID chip to each tool, and then a scan of the box and/or aircraft will locate/stock-take all tools.

Eng AW139
10th Aug 2008, 01:32
When I used to work alone in the bush with just a pilot and myself, after a long day of flying and night of maintenance I would have the pilot do a FOD check of the area I was working in. Not required but give him and me piece of mind . Human factors and all of that.:8

heliduck
10th Aug 2008, 02:52
"A place for everything, & everything in it's place". A rule to live by & some good examples have already been posted, like foam cutouts & shadow boards.
The other option is to specify ONLY Snap-On tools to be used & no company reimbursement for lost or missing tools. That will make sure they check after each job as no-one can afford to replace them!

212wrench
11th Aug 2008, 21:52
If its one guy in the field it can only be done one way, by him. Use the pilot as an extra set of eyes. Other than that its up to him.

unstable load
12th Aug 2008, 02:31
Sometimes the foam cutouts are not practical due to available space versus number of tools, so I would suggest a thorough inventory on a list of some form, or a photographic record of inventory. Then mark the toolbox compartments with the total number of tools stored in that area.

That way, after work is done and the tools have been cleaned, as they are packed away they are counted and the total compared to the actual recorded total. Any difference must be investigated before departure.