PDA

View Full Version : Joining Canadian Air Force

Jumbo744
9th Aug 2008, 04:04
Hello,

I'm considering applying to the Canadian Air Force, but I would like your advice on what are my chances of actually becoming a pilot in the Air Force.

I am 24 y/o, 25 in September. I am actually taking class at the Moncton Flight College, but I've only flown 25 hours in 3 month, I am quite disappointed. I passed my PPL TC Exam.

I have a Minor in Politics, a ACS (2 years diploma) in Network Administration with many IT certifications, I have a french baccalaureate in Economics, and I have run for 2 years my own business, which was successful.

Physically I am in very good shape. I am not sure that I have an interesting profile as they want you to have have a 3 years university diploma.

Any information or advice is welcome.

Thank You :ok:

Musket118
9th Aug 2008, 09:31
You can apply under the subsidized Regular Officer Training Plan (ROTP) if you are attending or planning to attend a degree program at a recognized Canadian university, including the Royal Military College. In addition, there is a new Continuing Education Officer Training Program (CEOTP) for applicants with a high school diploma, with the understanding that they will complete a degree while a serving member. This program is open to skilled pilots, so it would depend on your flight experience.

I would suggest that you visit your nearest Canadian Forces recruiting center and talk to them, they would be in a better position to give you the right information before you make your choice. Lots of good info on their website as well. I have been out for 2 years, but very much enjoyed the 25 years I spent with them.

http://www.forces.ca/v3/engraph/jobs/jobs.aspx?id=32&bhcp=1

Cheers,

+TSRA
9th Aug 2008, 22:38
Honestly, your best bet to to go to the closest recruiting centre and ask them directly. That or check the air force website. That lists all the basic requirements for Direct Entry. I forget the actual term, but its something like Direct Entry Officer Training Program - something like that.

They will also be able to let you know what your chances are. They will know the exact number of positions that need to be filled and on what type of equipment. Remember that with the military just because you started fixed wing does not mean that they will not put you onto helicopters, or visa versa.

Jumbo744
9th Aug 2008, 23:12
All right I see, thanks +TSRA !

rigpiggy
10th Aug 2008, 04:38
Are you a canadian citizen, if not it's a no-go until you do.

Jumbo744
10th Aug 2008, 10:05
yes I am a canadian citizen

rigpiggy
10th Aug 2008, 12:40
I wasn't sure due to your french baccalaureate, seriously talk to a recruiter/do the online sign up.

saudipc-9
10th Aug 2008, 15:28
Jumbo744,

Ask me any questions that you want as I am a QFI at Moose Jaw right now. You can also PM me if you like with more questions that you might not want others to read.

Cheers

SPC-9

Jumbo744
10th Aug 2008, 17:51
thank you rigpiggy.

saudipc-9, thanks, I will PM you now.

I am moving from Moncton to Montreal in a week, I am leaving the flight school I am currently in because I am very disappointed about them.

MidgetBoy
10th Aug 2008, 19:09
Hate that you need 20/20 vision.
My dad had 20/10 but the genetics didn't pass on. I can't see a person's license plate from 150 feet away. Horrible luck.

Jumbo744
10th Aug 2008, 21:55
thanks midgetboy,

I have 20/20 vision and I already have also a Cat 1 medical. I applied online, I hope to be contacted very soon and be able to talk to a recruiter.
Thanks

angryblackman
12th Aug 2008, 23:05
What? Isn't the Canadian Forces taking the YANKS from the south? Didn't anyone realize there is a war on! They did in WWII!! :D

+TSRA
12th Aug 2008, 23:52
When Canada was doing that during the Second World War, the United States was not yet involved. Then came this wee little thing called Pearl Harbour and well then they decided they should really do something about this pesky world issue.
Once they became involved American citizens began joining the 8th Army Air Force...oh, and that whole thing of being a soverign country able to fight for itself and having allies who will help us... :}