PDA

View Full Version : TC ATPL Examiners in the UK?

The_Broon
8th Aug 2008, 15:47
Does anyone know if there are registered Transport Canada ATPL Examiners in the UK? I'd like to know if one is available to sit in on my usual 757 LPC/OPC in Manchester or Gatwick, and sign it off as displaying the skill requirements for a Canadian ATPL under CARs - Part IV, Subpart 1, Division VIII, Section 421.34, Para (5).

Also, does anyone know:

1) How long after writing the SARON, SAMRA and INRAT exams must I file for the license (ie, do they expire after 12 months)?

2) Must I complete the written exams first, or can I do the practical and written tests in any order?

Thanks for the help.

harfang
10th Aug 2008, 23:18
Hello, For what I've been told by a TC inspector over the phone, the fact to fly MPA IFR in JAA airline world would keep your IFR valid via your JAA 6 months checkrides, just as they recognise your JAA type rating provided you furnish them the proper documentation.
Keeping your IFR valid, should keep your SAMRA and SARON valid, and thus your Canadian ATPL.
I dont remember having to pass a Canadian ATPL checkride, it was just about getting the hours and present the logbook, but this is a few years back things might have changed. If they didnt though, all you would have to do is crosscheck your flight times with the requirements and send your documentation in.

NB I was told this, I have never seen it in written nor did I get any reply on a letter I sent to TC to update my address. Anyway if you get more info I would be happy to confirm too. You never know, it might still come in handy, although we're better off in Europe right now.
;)

Panama Jack
17th Aug 2008, 08:08
Actually harfang, it would not keep the Instrument Rating valid. It would only allow the License holder to be exempt from having to re-write the Instrument Rating written exam (INRAT) if his Canadian Instrument rating had expired more than 24 months.

421.49 Renewal of Instrument Rating

(1) An applicant for the renewal of an instrument rating shall successfully complete the flight test referred to in paragraph 421.46(2)(c).
(amended 1999/03/01; previous version)

(2) An applicant who successfully completes a Line Operational Evaluation (LOE) from an approved Advanced Qualification Program (AQP) shall be considered to have met the pilot proficiency check requirement pursuant to Part VII of the Canadian Aviation Regulations.
(amended 2005/12/01; previous version)

(3) An applicant for the renewal of an instrument rating, who is employed by the holder of a private operator certificate issued pursuant to section 604.03 of the Canadian Aviation Regulations, with a pilot training and proficiency certification program, shall successfully complete that program and be certified proficient for operations under IFR by the chief pilot.

Note: For the purpose of subsections (2) and (3), the chief pilot's assessment of an applicant's competence and proficiency shall be based on the mandatory items set out in TP 9939 Flight Test Standards - Instrument Ratings and, or TP 6533 - Approved Check Pilot Manual Chapter 10 - Assessment Standards.
(amended 2005/12/01)

(4) An applicant for the renewal of an instrument rating that expired more than 24 months before the date of application, shall:

(a) successfully complete the flight test referred to in paragraph 421.46(2)(c); and

(b) obtain a minimum of 70% in the written examination (INRAT) described in CAR 421.46(2)(a) - Knowledge Requirement.

(6) An applicant who holds a Canadian Commercial Pilot Licence or Airline Transport Pilot Licence and whose instrument rating expired more than 24 months before the date of application, is considered to have met the INRAT examination requirement, provided that the applicant:

(a) holds a Commercial Pilot Licence or Airline Transport Pilot Licence issued by a Contracting State;

(b) holds an instrument rating issued by a Contracting State; and

(c) successfully completes, within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the rating, an instrument flight test while working for hire or reward in a commercial operation while outside of Canada, and provides the Minister with a copy of:

(i) the foreign flight test record;
(amended 2005/12/01; no previous version)

(ii) the foreign licence, providing it indicates that the instrument flight test was completed within the 12 months preceding the date of application for the rating; or

(iii) a letter from the foreign aviation authority attesting to the successful completion of an instrument flight test within the l2 months preceding the date of application for the rating.

ELAC
18th Aug 2008, 02:26
PJ ...

I work overseas on my Canadian ATPL and given the size of our pilot group last year we asked TC to have one of our number designated as a Pilot Examiner to renew IR's for the group. The response was as follows:

Thank you for your letter requesting Pilot Examiner Accreditation for Instrument Rating renewal. Unfortunately, Transport Canada General Aviation does not appoint examiners based out of the country to conduct flight tests for the Instrument Rating renewal. Any of the examiners based in the region may be granted authority on a case-by-case basis to conduct a flight test off-shore.

The main reasons for this policy are firstly, examiners are appointed to service Canadian pilots operating in Canada. Secondly, it is impossible for us to provide oversight of a service based overseas except on a cost recovery basis.

Thank you for your interest in the Pilot Examiner program. If you require further information, please contact me.

Since that time there have been some changes to the PE program which should make it easier for someone overseas to gain accreditation, however, based on the previous policy there's not likely to be anyone overseas who has already done so.

Regards,

ELAC