PDA

View Full Version : Sponsorship Cadet

alexfagundes
7th Aug 2008, 19:53
Hi my name is Alex I am 26, live in Lodon at the moment, I am taking my PPL at West London Aero Club and I am planning to start my ATPL GROUND TRAINING in Oxford next February.
I was just wonddering if anyone that have done Pilot's study with a sponsorship in any Airlines can help me out, with the followinig questions.
How can I apply to a sponsorship cadet? or Where I can start looking for it?
Many Thanks Alex.:ok:

hollingworthp
7th Aug 2008, 20:00
There are very few 'sponsorship' schemes anymore.

Oxford can tell you about their schemes (such as NetJets - my scheme) and there are threads on here about Etihad, RVL, Atantic, Highland etc

potkettleblack
9th Aug 2008, 15:56
As far as I know there are NO sponsorship schemes available anymore and haven't been for many years for the average joe public (*). NO ONE will give you a salary, pack you off to Oxford for 18 months to do your integrated course and then throw you into a 737/A320 sim and type rate you. It used to be that way but since 9/11 the likes of BA and Aer Lingus et al all cancelled their courses.

See the attached.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/interviews-jobs-sponsorship/332915-advice-getting-sponsored.html

Don't get sucked in. All of the "schemes" that are passed off as sponsorships require you to fund either part or all of the training or forgo a proper salary in turn to repay what your employer deems to be the cost of training you. Understandably you might have a differing view of this "cost". Tread carefully.

* Unless you have a HKG passport and can get into the Cathay scheme or have residency in Australia for Qantas or perhaps can sneak into one of the UAE programmes.

hingey
12th Aug 2008, 17:50
Alex,

When you get your PPL, apply to Highland Airways or RVL for a full sponsorship of your ATPL ground school, CPL, IR, hours building and type rating. Do a search for more details. Alternatively, Atlantic Airlines in Coventry now offer a half sponsorship, with half your training costs deducted from your salary over 5 years employment on a heavy turboprop.

h

Re-Heat
12th Aug 2008, 17:59
Alex,

With respect, if you are embarking on the ATPL at Oxford in February, yet currently have no idea that there have been vitually no airline sponsorships since 2001 (and clearly have not read the detail about mentored schemes on the Oxford and FTE websites), then you do not currently know enough about the industry to be spending a huge amount of money on what may be a fruitless exercise for you.

Read the sticky thread at the top of the forum with the reference threads, read far and wide beyond this forum, and talk to the pilots at WLAC who are in the industry at the moment (i.e. the BA, bmi and Virgin guys who hang around there all the time).

Then come back and ask some more informed questions.

Good luck, and welcome to the forum.