PDA

View Full Version : Thomsonfly apparent bomb threat MDPC-EGNT

3202b
6th Aug 2008, 21:39
BBC reporting tonight allegedly a passenger found a bomb threat note in the toilet, he passed it on to cabin crew and was asked not to tell anybody on board (which he sensibly agreed - probably stopping a mass panic!) Captain was notified but decided to carry on over 8 hours to Newcastle. Police checked the aircraft after landing and a total of 3 notes were found - no further action was taken.

Apparently plenty of PAX were quite upset nothing was done after the incident. :bored:

Link: BBC NEWS | England | Double drama at airport (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/7546275.stm)

fireflybob
6th Aug 2008, 23:07
There are protocols for dealing with such threats and the level of risk. I am sure the Captain and crew acted in accordance with such procedures.

Another bit of media hype to spread fear amongst the great unwashed I suspect.

ajamieson
7th Aug 2008, 07:15
Another bit of media hype to spread fear amongst the great unwashed I suspect.
A very thoughtless comment.

WindSheer
7th Aug 2008, 07:26
AAAAARRRRRRHHHHH

Taken from the BBC page beneath the video clip:

A jet crash landed at Newcastle International Airport while a holiday flight was the subject of an apparent bomb threat.

You stupid stupid naffing media mafia scum!:mad:

There was no 'crash', not even close to it. Why is a respected company like the BBC allowed to use this stupid mindless panic headline!

whatdoesthisbuttondo
7th Aug 2008, 07:29
Sounds like an obvious hoax started by a scrote on his holidays.

Typical press and posters here trying to sex it up again.

pilotmike
7th Aug 2008, 08:20
There was no 'crash', not even close to it.

So what would you call it then? From all accounts, a military jet over-ran the runway after a high speed landing after a birdstrike.

Possibly you didn't read the words with sufficient care, believing that the 'crash' referred to the holiday jet?

I wonder if you'd be happy to take this 'un-crashed' plane for a quick circuit as soon as it is hoisted off the grass?
You stupid stupid naffing media mafia scum!
An ability to read properly is often taken for granted.

Phil1980's
7th Aug 2008, 08:28
@ whatdoesthisbuttondo Agreed, Surely if they investigate the outbound flight they should find the one who did it...I mean those notes wouldn't have been there on Departure from Newcastle otherwise people cleaning the plane would have spotted it...

Wear the Fox Hat
7th Aug 2008, 08:29

Well said :ok:....

Seems some people are so quick to attack the media at every available opportunity - case in point Windsheer, why does it bother you so much!

anartificialhorizon
7th Aug 2008, 08:32
Hope WindSheer takes more note of ATC instructions than he does when reading the BBC website....

Apology to all the "stupid stupid naffing media mafia scum" out there?

whatdoesthisbuttondo
7th Aug 2008, 08:36
Is a high speed overrun on a runway a crash?

ukdean
7th Aug 2008, 08:49
Mike good call, totally agree I think at times we are to quick to slate the media and their choice of words. I am fully aware at times that they "play it up" however, like us they are experts in their field of work and cover every topic you can think of and only occasionly touch on aviation hence all the hipe. Mike as with you I think you could say a Tornado did crash, and no I don't fancy a touch and go.

FlightlessParrot
7th Aug 2008, 08:54
The phrase was, in fact, "crash landed." This seems a not unfair lay person's description of an urgent arrival that resulted in injuries and damage.

superspotter
7th Aug 2008, 10:28
"Crash Landed"
You know guys, we could play about with the English vernacular all day long! I mean, you either crash or you land, you dont "crash land".
Another two words put together that really irks me: "Almost always" again, wouldnt "not quite" suffice??:rolleyes:

theron
7th Aug 2008, 10:48
But equally IMO it seems that they didnt find the "bomb threat letter found on plane but nothing bad happened" story interesting enough so they just (unnecessarily) added a repeat of the story from yesterday. Or maybe im too sceptical about the media these days (they only have themselves to blame for this).

121decimal375
7th Aug 2008, 11:19
Is the obvious question not to be who put the note there? If the cabin crew/cleaners etc has checked the a/c before departure surely that only leaves the passengers on board as suspects?

mr Q
7th Aug 2008, 12:05
Cabin Crew???

groundhand
7th Aug 2008, 12:29
Sadly the debate about what defines a 'crash landing' is largely irrelevant as the UK media will devise their own interpretation of just about any event; any linkage to actual facts tend to be an after thought.

Had the Tornado not run off the runway and closed the airport for a few hours it would have been a one liner. NCL is a regular recipient of fast jets with engine problems following bird strikes over the ranges in Northumberland. The vast majority 'crash land' and manage to stay on the runway and are therefore nor worthy of this level of reporting. The PiC of this one did not manage to keep it on the runway, hence the media hype.

I did not see the same level of reporting of the Euro fighter that landed the day before (I think - may have been earlier that day) carrying a major hydraulic failure and needed to deploy it's parachute brake - probably more unusual than a Tornado coming in with an engine out; but then he did manage to keep it on the runway so the hacks missed it.

What the 2 recent reports means is that for the next few weeks any minor aviation incident (delay, passenger broken nail etc) will get the hype to fill airtime and column inches.

Such is life....

The good story in this is that both fast jet PiCs got their aircraft down in one piece and walked away. Anything else pales into insignificance.

Final 3 Greens
7th Aug 2008, 12:41
The vast majority 'crash land' and manage to stay on the runway

That's a landing as far as I am concerned.

Had the Tornado not run off the runway

Whereas I think its fair for the press (who write for laypeople)to call that a crash landing as it involves elements of both categories.

I agree with your sentiments about the PICs.

fireflybob
7th Aug 2008, 14:18
Sorry but in my parlance running off the end of a runway is not a "crash landing" - it's simply an overrun! But the media have to pump it up to make it sound more dramatic.

Anyway all landings are controlled crashes.

strangersinthenight
7th Aug 2008, 14:52
If we can get away from the rights and wrongs of the media and the general publics ability to digest it and back onto apparent bomb threats or hoax as we now know it to be.

I expect a captain who finds THREE notes claiming there is a bomb onboard to take some sort of action other than hope for the best.

He only requested ground support 20 mins before he touched down and that was just an ambulance for a an unrelated incident.

I appreciate a need for calm while the plane is in the air, as but "one of the great unwashed" who called Thomson the next day and asked why there were 10 fire engines and a police pressence on arrival I don't expect to be lied to and told there was not a problem with the flight when as I found out the next day in the media - clearly there was.

Why he didn't turn round or land in America I'll never know but at least I now know why I was being barked at by stewardesses for nine hours.

Final 3 Greens
7th Aug 2008, 14:57
Sorry but in my parlance running off the end of a runway is not a "crash landing" - it's simply an overrun! But the media have to pump it up to make it sound more dramatic.

Don't wish to be argumentative, but as pilots you and me both now it was an overrun.

But laypeople will think of this as a crash, after all, if their car ran off the road it would be called a crash!

fireflybob
7th Aug 2008, 14:58
If we can get away from the rights and wrongs of the media and the general publics ability to digest it and back onto apparent bomb threats or hoax as we now know it to be.

I expect a captain who finds THREE notes claiming there is a bomb onboard to take some sort of action other than hope for the best.

He only requested ground support 20 mins before he touched down and that was just an ambulance for a an unrelated incident.

I appreciate a need for calm while the plane is in the air, as but "one of the great unwashed" who called Thomson the next day and asked why there were 10 fire engines and a police pressence on arrival I don't expect to be lied to and told there was not a problem with the flight when as I found out the next day in the media - clearly there was.

Why he didn't turn round or land in America I'll never know but at least I now know why I was being barked at by stewardesses for nine hours.

strangersinthenight, there are clearly established procedures to deal with any bomb threat. The commander of the aircraft would have followed these procedures. I don't want to reveal sensitive information on PPrune but can assure you that ANY threat is taken seriously.

strangersinthenight
7th Aug 2008, 15:08
Why would a pilot wait 8 hours to tell the ground crew there had been three bomb threats?

I know you can't switch your mobile on up there but there must have been another way of getting a message to Newcastle from the Dom Rep.

----------------------------------------------------------------

Taken from The Northern Echo :: News, Sport, Business and more from around the North East (http://www.thenorthernecho.co.uk)

A spokeswoman for Newcastle International Airport said staff were made aware of the incident shortly before 4.30am after the pilot contacted ground crew.
“Airport staff immediately initiated the airport’s emergency orders and requested attendance from the emergency services in accordance with procedure,” she said.

WindSheer
8th Aug 2008, 08:17
Quote:
There was no 'crash', not even close to it.

So what would you call it then? From all accounts, a military jet over-ran the runway after a high speed landing after a birdstrike.

Possibly you didn't read the words with sufficient care, believing that the 'crash' referred to the holiday jet?

I wonder if you'd be happy to take this 'un-crashed' plane for a quick circuit as soon as it is hoisted off the grass?

Quote:
You stupid stupid naffing media mafia scum!

Sorry for the delay in defending myself. :rolleyes:

I stand by my initial statement.......I didn't bother listening to the BBC video on that page, as do most who scan through the news.
The wording of the headline is very crafty, and can be taken in one of two contexts:
The sentence can be read as is published...leading one into believing the 'jet' is indeed the holiday flight that is mentioned.
OR
A jet crash landed at Newcastle airport,while a holiday flight was the subject of an apparent bomb threat.......punctuation helps enormously.

That is how I read it....what a shame you happily backlashed one of your comrades and defended our very caring british press, who are of course known for their accuracy and superior knowledge where aviation is concerned.

luvly jubbly
8th Aug 2008, 09:44
To allay pax fears, ALL threats are taken very seriously indeed. Just try joking to security that you have some form of device on you, and see where that gets you!:rolleyes:

This would have been dealt with by trained people. The end result being to take no action in this case. Surely you don't expect them to give you the details??:ugh:

:=Security issues of this kind must not be discussed in detail here.

Phil1980's
8th Aug 2008, 13:13
It has to be someone holidaying in barbados (is that where it was can't backspace on this slow comp) they should invesitgate, because normally they land back at departure airport and dump fuel so I would arrest them definitly (the chav who put the note in there)

The one reason I don't like media is because of this:
Will they report who did it (if they catch the person who put the note there?

Has any news company reported how the First officer of Comair flight is doing after that horrible crash?

I don't like the way they just report and dont tell us how people are getting on...that's when I feel they just do it to fill up the day...

strangersinthenight
8th Aug 2008, 13:15
Sorry I don't know how to use this thing.

Luvly Jubbly wrote......

To allay pax fears, ALL threats are taken very seriously indeed. Just try joking to security that you have some form of device on you, and see where that gets you!:rolleyes:

......isn't that the whole point? Someone did do that, three times, and nothing happened for 8 hours for Gawd's sake.

luvly jubbly
8th Aug 2008, 14:55
Jeez. You lot just don't listen............................ Something was happening. Just not in full view of the pax.

And, no. The point is that people who know more about security than you, made an informed decision that in this case (correctly), there was no threat to the aircraft. ie it was a hoax.

That is why the flight continued.

:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh: