PDA

View Full Version : Flying BA WT+ LHR – Miami with family – any suggestions

Mr Quite Happy
6th Aug 2008, 17:49
Hi guys,

I’ve booked myself, Mrs QH, the 5 yo, 2yo and (will be) 5m old on a WT+ ZRH-LHR-Miami flights for October. Because of the 5m old, we’ve (apparently – will check) bulk head seats on the flight for the bassinet , I imagine four central seats between the aisle (I am assuming 2-4-2 or 1-4-1 config).

My question is…

Would these be the best seats for a family in WT+ (defining best as best overall given none of us are v.fat or v.tall (though my 5yo did draw me the other day as “big fat daddy” and Mrs QH as a stick!) or are they bad. I have the cash and the airmiles that we could upgrade to club if we wanted at least one way (I would do outbound to enjoy the free-stuff). If using miles I have to do it 24hours in advance (if at all possible, there are not 4 airmiles-upgradeable-seats available at the moment) and so I’m just wondering what you punters might think. We’ve done Club translantic before, but never WT+.

Some might say that upgrading a 5yo and 2yo is not worth it, I would say that upgrading the parents when travelling with a 5yo and 2yo (and 6m) is! (if what we’re leaving behind is poor).

FYI. The entire family was booked via BA (UK) for a fly-drive and WT+ return and car hire comes in at GBP 3,800. Because it was a ‘holiday’ we had to book the ZRH-LHR returns separately for a mere [insert sarcasm smiley] GBP 900!

Globaliser
6th Aug 2008, 18:31
Would these be the best seats for a family in WT+ If you've got the four bulkhead seats in the centre, between the aisles, I think these would be perfect for you.

One way to check what you've got is to go the BA website and pull up your booking. It should show you your seat numbers, if allocated. As you have an infant in your booking, I think you should be able to change the seats if you don't like them.

The Real Slim Shady
6th Aug 2008, 20:33
Not much help but you should have gone VS in Premium: much more comfortable upstairs on the 744 than with BA. If you can cancel and change, it would be well worth it.

raffele
6th Aug 2008, 20:53
I've been upgraded to WTP twice and been sat next to families both times in those central seats. It is 4 across with two bassinets on the bulkhead.

The bulkhead seats have slightly more legroom, and because you're not in WT the greater seat pitch means you'll actually be able to get out the seats to take the tots to the loo! Plus, keeping the whole family sat next to each other will remove some of the risk that the kids could annoy their fellow passengers! If you're on a 744 you also get 6 extra channels (including a dedicated kids channel) so the 5 yr old should be kept entertained.

The side seats are pairs (or a single if on a 744 with an exit row on the bulkhead).

As for Club upgrading, I'd leave it for the flight back to the UK. That way you'll get beds to sleep in overnight, which i'm sure the kids would appreciate. If you do that, take one of the central quartets (bassinets are usually the last rows in class) - keeps the family together and removes the risk of the kids annoying fellow Club passengers who might not be so accommodating with kids than those in other classes!

Mr Quite Happy
7th Aug 2008, 13:34
thanks for the advice, sounds like WT+ is fine and if the seat pitch back is not sufficient for the kids to sleep I'll send them down to economy to talk to the other passengers ;)

FYI:
One way to check what you've got is to go the BA website and pull up your booking. It should show you your seat numbers, if allocated. As you have an infant in your booking, I think you should be able to change the seats if you don't like them.

As its a BA holiday this is not possible... Or at least not in the first few weeks of booking (e.g. yet). I called BA NL and asked and was told they couldn't see anything other than 5 bookings, no seat numbers, no cost of tickets etc etc

Mr Quite Happy
7th Aug 2008, 13:38
Not much help but you should have gone VS in Premium: much more comfortable upstairs on the 744 than with BA. If you can cancel and change, it would be well worth it.

The VS economy was more expensive that BA WT+.

We’re flying to LHR from ZRH and so by using BA for both legs, should one be late, we’ll get put on another flight. If we did BA or Swiss to LHR and then VS from LHR and missed a connection I’d have to buy 5 new one way tickets… Also if we made it, we have to change Terminals! As it is, our return from Miami arrives 6.30 am and we’re on a connecting flight 70 minutes later. I would not like to do that with changing terminals and 3 tired kids and luggage etc…

Apart from all that, a good idea!

Mr Quite Happy
7th Aug 2008, 13:42
removes the risk of the kids annoying fellow Club passengers who might not be so accommodating with kids than those in other classes!

I find C/D and F passengers to be far more accommodating towards children than at the back of the plane. Mostly because they are more relaxed. A screaming baby is a different thing and should be removed to the lowest class of cabin/toilet but I don’t find C/D/F to be snooty or uninterested, generally they’re older with kids of their own of course.

apaddyinuk
8th Aug 2008, 14:39
Generally on that flight the 747 they use is the Mid-j meaning that WT+ is between F and CW so its actually a nice cabin to be in with a large galley behind wt+ meaning if 5mo does start to get a tad boisterous then you can walk him/her around there for a bit and not worry about annoying the other passengers in any cabin...although the crew might get a tad put off!!! LOL!