PDA

View Full Version : Life after JAA Frozen ATPL?

moneytonoise
6th Aug 2008, 16:28
I qualified for the JAA Frozen ATPL in 2001 and have visited the UK periodically to renew the licence (I currently live in Canada). As time passes it is becoming more and more unlikely that I will ever use my JAA Frozen ATPL. If I fail to renew my licence (Multi-instrument bit) what flying priveledges do I retain? I would at some stage in the future like to fly privately or commercially/instruct PPL (VFR) in the UK.
In Canada, when an instrument rating expires an ATPL becomes a CPL as long as the holder maintains a class one medical. If the holder decides on a class 3 medical then they can exercise PPL flying priveledges. Does a similar sliding scale exist in the UK/JAR land?

And before I get flamed for being a bone idle b****r I have trawled through the CAA's LASORS with absolutely no joy.

Many thanks.

Moneytonoise.

P.S. Mods please feel free to flip this over to the Flight Instructors/Examiners section.

adz1616
6th Aug 2008, 17:28
Hey Money

why havent you managed to use your fatpl? is there such a lack of jobs in Canada... where is the problem

Im just starting my atpl course on 01sep and am interested why u never got round to using it

MIKECR
6th Aug 2008, 17:29
As long as the MEIR remains current you will be fine. If however it lapses by(cant quite remember if its 5 years or 7) then you will lose the atpl privilages.

moneytonoise
6th Aug 2008, 17:39
Thanks for the replies guys.

Aviation in Canada is a tough beast and inspite of having an ATPL it doesn't often come with a well paying flying job as one would expect in the UK.

I understand the currency requirements to maintain my Jaa fatpl. What I need to know is if I don't continue to undergoe Multi-IFR flight tests what am I left with, a PPL? A CPL? Nothing ?

Cheers,

MTN

MIKECR
6th Aug 2008, 17:43
I believe its a cpl your left with. The atpl privilages however will disappear(so no multi crew job). To renew anything you would need to do atpl exams again, followed by MEIR renewal. And the more im beginning to think about it, the more i seem to remember 7 years