PDA

View Full Version : Captains as Marriage Celebrants

Milt
6th Aug 2008, 01:04
Some ships' Captains can legally marry passengers and crews. Does the same apply to an aircraft or space vehicle Captain in command?

dany4kin
6th Aug 2008, 01:14
I seem to remember seeing a picture back in school of a couple being married, in flight, on a Japan Airlines 747. The Captain was definitely there, remember seeing the 4 stripes on his sleeve, but can't remember whether he was simply 'presiding' or actually conducting the ceremony.

I would think for a religious ceremony to take place, the person conducting it would need to have SOME sort of religious affiliation? Although if strictly a 'legal' ceremony maybe its different...?

Basically I have no idea...

Rainboe
6th Aug 2008, 09:47
Airline Captains do not have the authority to marry as ships Captains do. In fact, I believe ships Captains have the authority to try and execute for mutiny. Draper will know. I wish I could.

BelArgUSA
6th Aug 2008, 10:41
Generally, an airline captain, for most of the Anglo-Saxon countries might not have that privilege. In some other nations, the old "Admiralty Law" might apply, and a marriage might indeed be done by a captain in flight, if the country of registry, or the airline's nation so permits.
xxx
If I had the idea of being married by the captain on a flight... what I would do is to obtain the documents and paperwork from the regular channels, and request the wedding to be performed by the captain, with the appropriate legal steps, such as witnesses and records... and get the document validated on arrival.
xxx
I never had the situation but many people asked me if I had that privilege...
But I got twice a baby born on a flight during my career. In both cases, I did become the godfather of the baby... one got my first name, and I had to sign the birth certificate a few days later... Birthplace stated the registration of the aircraft "while in flight above..." - but why not, could be coordinates as well, or "over high seas"... I am still in touch with them, at least sending a birthday card each year, or receiving a Xmas card from them...
xxx
Then, like in the USA, any clergymen can marry, and I know a couple of pilots who are "reverend" of a church... and in that country, could marry a couple that have the required paperwork. So, could be done in flight, if they are flying. In Argentina, people get a marriage certificate with a civil ceremony. but often have a religious marriage performed as well, therefore that part could be done by... an airline captain in flight, as a priest/clergyman would, in a church or temple...
xxx
I believe it could be done - just about anywhere, with the proper paperwork, and an agreement with the civil authorities.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

vintagemember
6th Aug 2008, 11:55
Surely the captain is worshipped by his crew members and passengers?

I know quite a few like this!!

Rainboe
6th Aug 2008, 19:00
And some new members are total idiots! I know quite a few like this!

BYALPHAINDIA
6th Aug 2008, 19:44
Would you really want to marry some of the 'idiot crew':ugh::*

AMEandPPL
6th Aug 2008, 21:46
and some new members are total idiots!

Charming way to welcome someone making a first post !
Presumably would be licking his boots if he were in first class.

ON THE SUBJECT of getting married in the air (which we were, until so rudely interrupted) . . . . . . . . .

In this very evening's "Manchester Evening News" is a story of a couple who were married by a vicar while all three were "wingwalking" on the top of biplanes in flight ! Three separate planes in formation, communicating by radio presumably, they had exchanged rings before take-off ! Cannot find a link at present, will post later if I found it. It was in Gloucestershire, with the Team Guinot formation team !

Congratulations to the couple !

Bushfiva
7th Aug 2008, 04:03
Japan Airlines 747

If a JAL plane in flight is regarded as Japanese territory, then it wasn't a marriage. Only civil ceremonies are legal in Japan. The "weddings" that people have are purely a celebration for friends and family. In particular, the "christian" or "western" weddings usually use part-time English teachers, not ministers, for the "ceremony". Of course, this drives the half-a-dozen true christian ministers batty.

AMEandPPL
7th Aug 2008, 10:13
Here's the story of the couple who were married while strapped on to biplanes . . . . nice picture of the planes too !

British couple wed strapped to wings of airplanes (http://wtop.com/?nid=456&sid=1454351)

PS - hasn't it gone quiet on PPruNe ! Has "Mr Always Right" been banned for ever, I wonder ?

parabellum
7th Aug 2008, 11:49
Again, Tony D. will advise us, but I believe that even the captains of British registered ships no longer have the power to conduct a marriage that will be both legal and recognised in the UK, they used to, but I don't think they do any more.

Having been brought up in Hampshire and spent many a lovely day down on the Solent watching the ships pass out from and into Southampton Water, when merchant shipping was the major form of transport in the world, I got a yearning to travel, it never left.

aviate1138
7th Aug 2008, 12:52
I always thought Airline Captains were good at divorce, not so at marriage! :rolleyes:

point8six
7th Aug 2008, 19:03
I understand that those who conduct a civil marriage ceremony in the UK or on board a UK registered vessel, have to be "registered". Other countries require officials to be licensed. I suspect the JAL Captain was a witness and not an official. I'm sure, like Aviate1138, most of my colleagues are more expert on ending marriages than starting them!

Dan Winterland
8th Aug 2008, 01:15
Quote BelArgUSA: "But I got twice a baby born on a flight during my career. In both cases, I did become the godfather of the baby... one got my first name, and I had to sign the birth certificate a few days later... Birthplace stated the registration of the aircraft "while in flight above..." - but why not, could be coordinates as well, or "over high seas"... I am still in touch with them, at least sending a birthday card each year, or receiving a Xmas card from them..."

What a great story! I had a friend who was born on a BOAC 707 between Sydney and Aukland, but I'm not sure what's on her birth certificate.

On the births and deaths front, I've had two deaths in flight!