PDA

View Full Version : Flying the North Atlantic - a beginners story

Sam Rutherford
5th Aug 2008, 22:14
I am now back in Europe, having flown my SEP over Canada-Greenland-Iceland-Norway.

There are aspects that were harder than expected, and others that were easier...

It merits caution, but is perfectly achievable.

I am more than happy to help anyone else thinking of doing the same - a truly wonderful experience...

Safe flights all, Sam.

bucket_and_spade
5th Aug 2008, 22:47
Good stuff, thanks for this. I'm a recently qualified airline pilot, currently ploughing the European skies in my first commercial job but have, for a while now, always fancied a grand adventure across the Atlantic in something a bit more agricultural than what they give me to do the day job! I read a detailed blog not long back by a guy who took a Trinidad across the pond - great read :ok:

Hopefully one day I'll have the time/finances to follow through with the plan...! I'll be going east - west, just to mix it up and be different.

B&S :)

Sam Rutherford
6th Aug 2008, 12:30
Apparently west-east gives you tailwinds all the way, but we had headwinds for 10 days! Just watch the weather (and get updates hourly on the actuals at your destination - either by radio or satphone).

Sam.

BRL
6th Aug 2008, 12:36
That is a fantastic read mate, thanks for sharing that. :)

Radar
6th Aug 2008, 18:48
Sam,

Welcome back mate. And well done !! I'm green with envy. Catch you for that beer later this month. I'll e-mail later. Is NSN still in Lille?

Damian

IO540
6th Aug 2008, 20:08
What an amazing adventure, especially doing it at such a low level and VFR!

tuscan
7th Aug 2008, 10:09
Truely an inspiration, thanks for sharing. What does one do after such a trip I wonder?

Mikehotel152
7th Aug 2008, 11:16
A great read, with excellent photos. Well done. :ok:

:ooh: I wonder if anyone's done it the other way round?

david viewing
7th Aug 2008, 12:23
Thanks for posting that weblog - a really enjoyable read!

I just wondered if that VFR routing still requires an IR? I've read that you can't leave Canada without one.

Radar
7th Aug 2008, 13:58
I just wondered if that VFR routing still requires an IR? I've read that you can't leave Canada without one.

My guess is this still applies. Sam holds an IR and, from my reading of the blog, used it more than once. But I stand to be corrected.

Sam Rutherford
9th Aug 2008, 11:53
Correction (sorry Damian!)...

I don't have my IR (day before check I was told I needed the 'confirmation letter' from the UK CAA - see other thread somewhere!). So, I have 'all' the experience and training, but none of the signatures!

From US to Iceland, no IR required for VFR flight, and no limit on level of transit.

From Iceland to Europe, not above FL060 without an IR (regardless of conditions), so I filed VFR out of Iceland (and they confirmed verbally the 060 limit). Once airborne, I asked for FL100 to maintain VMC on top - they asked me to wait (presumably putting my request into the IFR system) and about 30 seconds later gave me the okay. No request about PIC qualifications whatsoever. I have only done it once, so can't say if this is a technique that can be repeated or not (but I like it!).

I don't know if they gave me an IFR clearance, or a VFR exception to the 060 limit...

Sam.

Hi Damian, Never Say Never is now at Lille, and I'm in Belgium again tomorrow - Grimbergen beers?

WALSue
9th Aug 2008, 13:05
Fantastic, proper Bigglesy type stuff!

But, Belgium......Grimbergen, you can be more adventurous than that :)

Radar
9th Aug 2008, 19:47
Sam,

RE the IR .. what a pi$$er!! When you mentioned the letter of validation, I assumed you had managed some sort of workable solution in time to allow a check ride. Are you planning a return to the US to finish it off?

I'll get back to you with a date for Grimbergen. The homefront's a bit hectic at the mo'. :eek:

Sam Rutherford
10th Aug 2008, 07:01
The 'workable' solution for the validation is pay your money and wait 3 weeks (which I didn't have!). This is the reason we did the trip VFR (although our IMC options were very limited due to freezing levels anyway).

Okay, so Grimbergen is not the most exciting, but our flight from there to Cape Town in December should be good. Oh, and then the 2 months flying around southern Africa before flying back up north in March to spend some time in the Sahara in Libya... :)

Er, fingers crossed, touch wood, etc. etc.

Sam.

Geo73
10th Aug 2008, 09:58
An amazing adventure Sam, well done!!

Radar
10th Aug 2008, 13:12
Okay, so Grimbergen is not the most exciting, but our flight from there to Cape Town in December should be good. Oh, and then the 2 months flying around southern Africa before flying back up north in March to spend some time in the Sahara in Libya...

You're just trying to make freinds ....... right??? :D

Sam Rutherford
10th Aug 2008, 14:03
I'm still working on you (and through you your brother) to do the northbound part with me!!!!!!! :E

Sam.