PDA

View Full Version : Instructing while flying for Ryanair?

iwishihadanatpl
5th Aug 2008, 20:25
Hello,

I am currently working as an instructor but I am as most looking to move on. I have been to a Ryanair open day and have got an interview with them in the near future.

At the open day i asked the question "Can i still instruct while I work for you?" and all they said was well, do you want to fly a crappy 152 for £10 an hour or a shiney 737 for £60!

A fair point but I would like to keep my rating current. Also as i will be on a Brookfield contract i will need to do other work to prove to the inland revenue that im not working exclusively for Ryanair.

If anyone out there has an opinion or even better works for Ryan and instructs please let me know.

Deano777
5th Aug 2008, 21:01
I'd say you'll max out on hrs with FR anyway (900 p/a), and if you didn't you'd need their permission and conform to CAP 371.

If you decide (like a fair few I know) to instruct on the side without telling anyone then this is all fine until something happens, and if they go through your flying experiences with a fine tooth comb they'll throw the book at you, so in short, if you don't get their permission don't do it.

D777

VFE
5th Aug 2008, 22:07
...all they said was well, do you want to fly a crappy 152 for £10 an hour or a shiney 737 for £60!
What kind of answer was that to your completely valid question?

Tossers.

VFE.

fireflybob
6th Aug 2008, 02:58
It is arguable, I believe, that unremunerated instruction is not aerial work and therefore does not count in the hours total.

Do a search and you will find this has been debated on another thread.

It's seems stupid to me that you cannot do a few sorties a month instructing whereas you could be engaged in many other pursuits which could be far more fatiguing! The law, in my opinion, is in this case an ass!

A Very Civil Pilot
6th Aug 2008, 06:42
The law, in my opinion, is in this case an ass!

It may be an ass. but it's still the law!

'Valuable consideratiuon' is the bit you need to worry about if you do unpaid instruction. The student has still given his 'valuable consideration' to the flight, even if you don't see any of it, so it's still aerial work.

I had intentions of keeping up the instructing when iIstarted in an airline. I only seriously got back into it after 8 years! It helps to be with a charter airline during a quiet winter

Blinkz
10th Aug 2008, 22:01
You will need permission from the chief pilot.....my guess is that wouldn't be easy....

the dean
11th Aug 2008, 09:31
at the same time, if you really want to keep your instructors ticket ( and i know some who do )then since you cannot revalidate by proficiency ( here we can only do that every second renewal...irrespective of how many hours instructing we have done ) you could simply apply for a flight test each time you want to renew. its an expensive way of doing it but i depends on how badly you want to keep the ticket.

do'nt forget that you still need to do the seminar as well....

good luck...:ok:

the dean.

OneIn60rule
11th Aug 2008, 11:17
A crappy 152????
Bastard!

I'll pick the 152 over a 73'

1/60

daria-ox
11th Aug 2008, 11:51
Crappy 152 :confused:, are you joking me?

At least that's real flying experience,

preduk
11th Aug 2008, 13:52
I've got a buddy who was selected for Ryanair last year while he was instructing but sadly had to pack the instructing in.

He was booking lessons with students, then having to cancel them last minuate because of changes on the roster etc. He was also moved to Spain quickly after he started the job.

We have a few lads from Ryanair at the club I'm at, but none of them instruct same with a few Easyjet lads I know.

edymonster
12th Aug 2008, 18:52
You are not permitted to engage in any flying activities outside the
Ryanair operation without written permission of the Chief Pilot.

Thats your answer.

fireflybob
13th Aug 2008, 13:48
You are not permitted to engage in any flying activities outside the
Ryanair operation without written permission of the Chief Pilot.

What even private flying below 2,730 kg which is not aerial work or public transport?