PDA

View Full Version : Got PPL...train CPL SA, Oz or UK?

Toujours
5th Aug 2008, 18:03
What is your advice to one (23 years old) who has the PPL, started distance learning ATPL and would like to complete the CPL, IR etc. at the most economical option.

If one goes to South Africa or Australia and does the CPL, IR etc. and wished to get the JAA ATPL on return to the UK, how much on average does the conversion cost? Does it make sense going abroad in the first place?

Another thing is the fact that one might have to sit all the written exams in the foreign country....

Can one really save money by training abroad? How long you reckon it'll take to complete the training abroad?

Please advise...

aintboeingaintgoing
6th Aug 2008, 08:03
There is absolutely no doubt that you will save money by doing the chunk of your flying abroad, but deciding weather it is better to do it abroad or not I think is the question here. I have currently done my PPL in SA as well as all of my hour building in SA, I did the JAR ATPL subjects here in the UK and am now thinking of going back to SA to do the CPL IR and then come back and convert it to the JAA licence!

Costs so far (ROUGHLY)

PPL £3000
ATPL GS £4500
HOUR BUILDING £3200

So at the moment I have the £100 PIC and the x country time needed, clearly the above is rounded down considerably as there are flights down there accommodation while you are there licence fees and a whole load of hidden extra costs that over time I have forgotten so I guess if you added another £5000, it would take that into account you can see that it is a lot cheaper than doing it here about £16000 so far to get me to the point where I can start the CPL IR, which can now be broken into 2 different routes,

1)

Do it here in the UK, about £22 to £27k

2)

In SA do the CPL IR about £8k and then come back and convert it to the JAA CPL IR about another £7k

So if you did everything in SA and then cam here and converted it, it costs about £31000

So I am trying to decide what route I am going to follow…. In today’s job market I think it might be the cheaper route as in the long run you end up with the same licence as the person who did everything here in the UK……

Really difficult decision to make!

Anybody’s thoughts on the above decisions to be made?
:bored: