PDA

View Full Version : Can tattoos get you in trouble for getting a job?

Ultiima
5th Aug 2008, 16:41
Don`t know if this is the right place to post this, but here goes...

I just finishes all my licenses and are ready for the "big" aviation world job hunting.. The problem is that im worried about my tattoos on my arms, can make me taken unserious. Im thinking of getting em removed,but wanna hear other people opinion before i do so...

K.Whyjelly
6th Aug 2008, 11:38
Know of two pilots in my own company with tattoos, both blokes are Captains and both have upper arm tattoos which are concealed even under short sleeve shirts. Forearm, hand and neck 'tatts' are a little harder to keep hidden and may have an influence on any job interviews you get. Remember, airline interviewers are going to be older, more conservative and possibly less open to ideas of self expression through tattoos.

Cavallier
6th Aug 2008, 19:13
Oh no the dreaded long sleeve shirt brigade.............hence you must be a Cathay 744, A scale training Captain!!!!!
Seriously you should be ok if you cover them up mate just dont act like the afore mentioned.

The Cav:cool:

Matt101
6th Aug 2008, 22:51
In the UK military your tattoo must be deemed not insulting in commercial life people are right, wear a long sleeve - I work with the SLF at the moment and have one I cover with my shirt or if I'm off somewhere hot or working galley I just cover with a plaster.

alphaadrian
11th Aug 2008, 18:31
I got tattoos on my arms and its not a problem..I just make sure I wear long sleeve shirts. Its probably less of an issue than it used to be but I certainly would advise keeping them covered up then u cant go far wrong.

Alpha:ok:

Lawn Mower
12th Aug 2008, 21:51
Cover it up for the interview for sure, but I don't see why you should keep the thing covered up once you get the job. As long as it isnt obscene or insulting that is. A tattoo is a part of you, if people have a problem with it then they have the problem, not you.

Mercenary Pilot
13th Aug 2008, 07:43
A tattoo is a part of you, if people have a problem with it then they have the problem, not you.

Unfortunately, that isn't how the airlines see it. If you have a tattoo, its expected that you cover it up. It's the same as dying your hair bright green or having facial piercings, its not the image passengers want to see. They are trusting you with their lives and don't want to see any of the things mentioned above. They expect you to be well dressed and well groomed. Also, in some cultures tattoos are are a symbol of time spent in prison and/or gang membership.

Many pilots have tattoo's they just use common sense on when its appropriate to cover them up, such as at a job interview. :ok:

K.Whyjelly
13th Aug 2008, 12:05
Cover it up for the interview for sure, but I don't see why you should keep the thing covered up once you get the job. As long as it isnt obscene or insulting that is. A tattoo is a part of you, if people have a problem with it then they have the problem, not you.

I'm afraid it's not that simple Lawn Mower. The company employ you and they have a set of rules and regs that you must abide by and they stipulate how to wear your uniform, deport yourself in public and what is acceptable with regards facial hair, piercings and tattoos. It's all covered under the banner of uniform standards. The opening paragraph from my own companies regs start off thus:

APPEARANCE: COMMANDERS RESPONSIBILITY
The efficiency of an airline is judged by large sections of the travelling
public by appearance, deportment and general bearing of its personnel. It is a commanders responsibility to ensure that he and his crew present a good image to the public.

Any cabin crew (females) with ankle tattoos have to wear flesh coloured plasters under their tights (stockings if we're lucky!!) to cover them up.

Like I said earlier, companies don't give a toss for self expression when you are representing them and they are paying you quite well to do so. It's their train set and they run it the way they want it run.