PDA

View Full Version : I require some help!!!

steggers
5th Aug 2008, 16:31
Hi guys,

I require some help if you guys maybe so kind as to help me.

I'm starting a full-time in house ATPL course with CATS in September and i've been having a maths tutor for the previous 5 moths to get me back upto the required GCSE standard.

My tutor would like me to try and get hold of some sample questions which are maths related so we can work through them.

The problem i've got is that i've emailed CATS and they said get hold of the "Keynotes for Pilots, Maths and Physics" book and have a look at the online subjects where you can find maths type questions. The first week i had my tutor i brought the book and we worked through it and it was very sucessfull. I've tried to look on the CATS website for the online sujects but because i'm not a regestered member yet as i haven't starting the course all i can find is a sample exam on HPL.

I've also had a look at the Bristol Demo question bank but i can't really pick out what questions are maths based and what one's arnt.

Would anybody know of any books or any websites that have got sample ATPL questions on that are maths related?

I thank you in advance for you responces
Dan

Shunter
5th Aug 2008, 18:38
General algebra equation substitution is a good start, there's plenty of that. Nothing too complex, just things like a=b/c etc..

For example... a 4cm line is drawn on a chart. The scale of the chart is 1 : 850,000. What distance does the line represent (in nautical miles)?

That involves both scale conversion and equation substitution. Converting metric to nautical miles, then feeding that into 1/850,000=4cm/x

Have a look on here: 2go.aero :: the aviation test preparation :: training (http://www.2go.aero/training/)
There's a lot of genuine ATPL exam questions in there. Have a look at General Nav, Flight Planning, Mass & Balance and some of the later questions in Principles of Flight (calculating load factors, turn radii etc..).