PDA

View Full Version : Best Headset for PPL student.

CaptainTC
4th Aug 2008, 21:39
Hey, i wonder if anybody can help me? I am after my first headset but dont know which make to go for. There are quite a few makes out there but its baffling. I see there is a make called David Clark. Are they any good?

RTN11
4th Aug 2008, 22:06
it depends what you mean by best.

I have a david clark, cost me in the region of £200, I find it's been reliable for the last 3 years, is comfy to wear for long periods, and has pretty good sound quality.

Are there cheaper on the market that would perform just as well? probably, yes.

Are there better headsets available? Yes, a lot of people complain the david clarks grip your head too tight. I've never suffered this problem, but i've known people sell their headsets at a loss because they didnt like them. the bose-x is aruguably the best on the market, but costs about 4 times as much as a DC.

My advice would have to be to try before you buy if possible. If you can try on several headsets, and if possible take a couple flying, then you will know what's best for you.

CaptainTC
4th Aug 2008, 23:28
Ahh ok hanks for the advice. :)

Nashers
5th Aug 2008, 00:16
just remember dont go for the cheapest one possable because you will get what you pay for. spend a bit for the quality and it works out cheaper in the end. i have a DC pair and cant fault them.

Pilot DAR
5th Aug 2008, 05:08
I bought my first David Clark headset, 26 years ago, and am still using it for my primary headset, without it ever needing repair or replacement. The only change was an updated mic to reflect improving technology over time. I have bought a number of other David Clarks for passenger use.

I do not recommend the electronic noise canceling type, unless you are overflowing with money, and flying an unusually loud aircraft, it will exceed your needs. If you do go this route, I can say that I do prefer the Bose to the David Clark in this catagory, though I do have wonder about the simple toughness of the Bose in an abusive environment. I suppose that once you've spent that much money, you're careful about not abusing them!

If you ever wonder about David Clark quality, be reminded that they have made many U.S. spacesuits as well. I have recovered a number of David Clark headsetd from submerged floatplanes, whoch worked perfectly once dried out! For toughness I do prefer the metal frame models. I have no experience with the plastic frame versions. I trust David Clark quality, but I like metel better. I is much less likely to break, and can be bent back into shape if need be.

You only have hearing once around in life, don't loose it because of poor headset performance!

Pilot DAR

MartinCh
5th Aug 2008, 05:52
can't tell about the noise levels in most FW singles yet, but ANR is a way to go for helis.
Disadvantage of DC headset is that they just stick in ANR bits into their original headsets. Ie chunky. I used few worn out cheap passive DCs provided by school, had enough. Then I borrowed older Sennheiser headset, it was better, though still not good enough.
Still had problems with ATC clarity and the noise from cockpit that gets through other pilot's mike (student/instructor) or in general is too much for comfort.

You'd probably find most of the headsets used/bought are DC. But then, they do have dozens of models at various prices, not just passive or ANR. So one can buy higher quality passive headset.

I 'had to' go for Bose X as it's 'a standard' amongst heli pilots I see around (maybe 80-90% of those who do RW CPL/CFI or instruct at my school). As one guy said: "Bose X is good enough." I asked whether he was slagging them. He added that he had meant "If it's good enough for the best, it's good enough for me" :cool:

Don't forget, there's also those earplugs one can put inside DC headset. I saw it twice. Some improvement for radio clarity etc. One student said that it's comparable to Bose X if these used in DC..

Some say, get good headset once for years to come. Others, what if you don't keep on flying, or that you don't need to 'treat yourself' when doing PPL.. Then, your hearing is of high value, so treat it nicely.

Guess it all boils down to what a guy/gal feels like spending vs feeling good in cockpit.

EDIT Ask folks around to let you try different ones and their comparison.
Geez. Just found Bose X price in the UK. 750 quid?? Hmm. US=995 bucks
one UK pilot supplies website has bunch of ANR headsets priced around 300. Anyone got good experience with one of them?

Type ANR headset in search and you'd find some threads about..

172driver
5th Aug 2008, 08:36
Go for the best you can afford - hearing loss is irreversible. As a side effect, it may well make your learning easier, as the difference in clarity of ATC comms between, say, a BOSE or some clapped out old flying-school headset is staggering.

TicketyBlue
5th Aug 2008, 10:10
As Pilot DAR says, the DC's are tough. My little boy decided to use my headset bag containing my H10-13.4 as a "cushion" to bounce on. He managed to break the rivet on the metal stirrup. I managed to source a replacement easily for £5 (genuine DC part). As I said, they are tough, but the metal framed ones are lie Meccano sets and easy to repair.

tuscan
5th Aug 2008, 11:41
I bought 2 DC`s about 5 years ago and they still look and perform as new.
I cant fault them. I have used others (cant remember the make) but nothing else felt right for me.
They are also so popular that compatabilty with your flying friends should not be a problem. I remember taking a flight with a friend who wore Bose-X and the two were hopeless together so he switched to my spare DC (reluctantly), he complained bitterly about it but at least we could hear each other.

MartinCh
5th Aug 2008, 16:35
Go for the best you can afford - hearing loss is irreversible. As a side effect, it may well make your learning easier, as the difference in clarity of ATC comms between, say, a BOSE or some clapped out old flying-school headset is staggering.
That's exactly why I had to as I heard :mad:-all from ATC, or when the mike/s let all the noise in on top of 'ambient' noise.
High noise levels also influence my feeling good, so irritation causes decrease of concentration etc. Not very good.

I remember taking a flight with a friend who wore Bose-X and the two were hopeless together so he switched to my spare DC
So with the Bose X prices in the UK, I'd probably go for higher end DC headset.
There's one R22 where I'm now with bit crap intercom I once cancelled flight with (bumped to it due to CFI training) because it works 'better' with TWO DC headsets. Not two Bose or mix. Instructor's switching hot mike and the noisy ATC/intercom so we can work out ATC, what they're saying in two Bose X is just plain annoying. After my 2nd or 3rd flight in it that was it for maneuvres..

BEagle
5th Aug 2008, 16:57
Of course, when choosing headsets, colour can be an issue.....:E

OK, OK, I'll get my coat....

Eliteaircare
5th Aug 2008, 19:36
I have a set of David Clarke H10-60's and although they're a comfortable fit and give clear, defined sound I get really irratated by the detachable plug that connects to the earpiece. The plug is about 1.5" long and can catch your shoulder when looking around.
Although the detachable plug is useful when storing the headset I feel that the H10-13.4, with a fixed cable to the ear piece, are much less prone to catching your shoulder, keeping your focus on flying with no unwanted obstruction when looking around.

Piper_Driver
5th Aug 2008, 20:31
I love my DC 13.4s so much I got a spare set for my wife. I used to have her use an old Sigtronics. After she tried my DC on she wanted one for herself. The DCs are good value for the money. There's a reason that DC is the market leader.

bern444
5th Aug 2008, 20:38
Personally, I really like my Peltors, but it's down to personal taste. Best to go to Transair or wherever and try some different types on.

Bernie