PDA

View Full Version : Please help! Where should I start my professional pilot training?

schakalix
4th Aug 2008, 19:00
Hello!

I am new to this forum but I've heard great things about it. I am a fresh graduate of the Aerospace Engineering Faculty in Bucharest, Romania and I am looking forward in starting my pilot training. I would like to join a flight school in the UK and I was recommended by a friend (who is a pilot) Riverside Flight Center.

The thing with me is my tight budget, but on the other hand I want quality training. I have sufficient funds to start my training right now. I would appreaciate any info on hidden or extra costs. Of course any reccommendations of other flight schools wich offer better training at the same price point are most welcomed.

Thanks in advance!

INNflight
4th Aug 2008, 19:44
Mind you, expensive training does not always stand for quality training, same as inexpensive flight schools (offering modular training usually) do not mean lower quality training.

Before you get devoted to a specific school, do as much research as you can. Google, ask for opinions and try to look behind the glossy brochures.

Searching for photos that students took, for example on google or flickR can give you more of an insight too.

I've been in your situation only very recently, it's hard work looking at all the schools, but time well spent :ok:

jxc
4th Aug 2008, 23:12
Buna schakalix (http://www.pprune.org/forums/members/270489-schakalix)

I have a busines near Bucharest ( Lac Snagov ) do you know anywhere in Romania where I can hire a plane to fly on my own ?

You might be better off looking at spain for training

Cheers

JXC

schakalix
5th Aug 2008, 08:18
Thanks for the advice! By the way, what did you choose? :)

cirruscrystal
5th Aug 2008, 08:55
Riverside Flight Centre - That is in Oklahoma USA not UK?

Lots of good quality schools in the UK - Bristol Flying Centre is excellent for one, avoid Bournemouth flying centre.

One golden rule for you if you do decide to complete training PAY AS YOU GO

p.s. I think you would be crazy to pursue commercial training in current environment, get on with your engineering and fly for fun is my advice.

Jazzy78910
5th Aug 2008, 08:58
Have you considered training in Australia? The cost of living is much lower than the UK and a typical commercial pilot training package ranges from $40,000 to $60,000.

yames
27th Aug 2008, 14:48
Hi cirruscrystal!

What kind of experience do you have with Bournemounth flying centre? Or why do you recommend to avoid it? Is it money or quality thing?

Thank you
Yames