PDA

View Full Version : Cabair/Oxford Advantages/Disadvantages Question

Gavin Smith
4th Aug 2008, 17:41
Don't worry it's not another assessment question

I have been to both Cabair and Oxford open days and have a question for those who know more about the aviation industry than I. First off, the aircraft they use. I have never flown or been flown in either of the two schools fleets so have no idea between the two. I have only ever used a Cessna 172 whilst Oxford uses a PA28/34, and Cabair use the PA28 but also use the DA40/42 with a glass cockpit. I would of asked there and then but felt that both would of given reasons as to why they chose their particular aircraft and left me more confused than in the first place.

Secondly, Cabair trains in Spain so is in European airspace, whereas Oxford train in Arizona in the states. Is there a large difference between the two ATC and language used over the radios? Oxford mentioned it as a simple conversion whereas at Cabair I asked and got a response that had basically said it was more complicated than that.

Thanks in advance.

Emmett01
5th Aug 2008, 14:13
Not an expert in the area, but im am joining cabair now in october/november so i understand your considerations. After many years of asking question about many (loads) of fliught schools which was better and why... They are all much of a muchness... They all seem the same.

I choose cabair,, because.. you get the same as oxford for less money and to fly better aircraft.

the atmosphere seemed more welcoming than oxford, oxford seems to be full of sugar daddy's... didnt like..

The aircraft are glass, which suits the more modern airliners in operation rather than analogue.... I fly the pa28 currently and find it great to fly, very stable.

As regards the radio,,, friend who trained in florida said the RT is much more relaxed over there, much less strict than here but ive not experienced this myself so cannot comment.

Both good schools at the end of the day really. It depends on your own needs and what you want to get out of the school... at the end of the day everyone comes out with the same lciense and ratings.

Gud luck :ok:

airbuslit
8th Aug 2008, 12:47
A little bit off topic but are Cabair still using those portacabin classrooms. I was there in Dec for an open day and, correct me if I am wrong, they said they were soon to move to new classrooms for groundschool. Can anyone enlighten?:confused::confused:

Gavin Smith
8th Aug 2008, 20:47
Thanks Emmett.

Still there airbus, not sure if they are semi-permanent or not. I went there a couple of weeks back and was told they were moving out of them soon but wasn't told into what or when.