PDA

View Full Version : Logbook entries?

venkoj
4th Aug 2008, 15:40
apologies if this has been asked before, but cn't find the answer and the CAA have gone home!

I have completed my PPL and am currently doing some hour building as well as a few random hours with instructors here and there.

now my questions relates to my time with instructors. I am always the pilot flying, I take off, do all the flying and land the plane. Instructors just supervise me and check everything is ok and give feedback.

I didn't have a problem filling out my logbook until I was given a new Jeppesen JAR-FCL compliant logbook, which is incidentally the size of a house.

I understand that the time from the flights with instructors is logged as PIC(US), however I am still uncertain whether it is single pilot time or dual time - i.e. does it count towards the 100 PIC i need for the CPL or just towards the 150TT??

Thx

Whirlygig
4th Aug 2008, 15:50
It's not PICUS (P1u/s) as that should only be used for successful skill tests or proficiency checks.

It should be agreed with the instructor beforehand but there is no reason why you couldn't log it as P1 with the instructor being a passenger. As long as he didn't have to take the controls off you and just gave advice or lookout, you were in command.

Cheers

Whirls

venkoj
4th Aug 2008, 16:10
It's not PICUS (P1u/s) as that should only be used for successful skill tests or proficiency checks.

is that really so? so I presume if you fly with an instructor (apart from in a skills test) you will be either:

P2 if occasionally flying during the flight
P1 if you are flying and have agreed that with the instructor beforehand?Thanks

Dit
4th Aug 2008, 16:17
My understanding is that if you're paying the instructor to be there, then it is (or should be) a lesson and therefore logged as dual. However if you're not paying the instructor to be there, just renting the aircraft and he's tagging along, then he's a passenger and you can log P1. PICUS is only for intergrated courses and successful skill tests.

Though I fully reserve the right to be mistaken!

HLloyd26
4th Aug 2008, 17:02
It should be agreed with the instructor beforehand but there is no reason why you couldn't log it as P1 with the instructor being a passenger. As long as he didn't have to take the controls off you and just gave advice or lookout, you were in command

I am also curious about this. I recently joined a new club and did a dual check with an instructor and then took an instructor along with me on another flight just for some guidance on the local area. He did not touch the controls at any point on either flight, just gave me a few tips/pointed out land marks, I’m also already rated on the aircraft type we flew in. I just assumed this would have to be logged as dual time?

Shunter
4th Aug 2008, 18:03
If you're current for the carriage of pax, you are perfectly entitled to log P1. You should decide it between yourselves before you depart. If the instructor logs P1, you have no choice but to log PUT. Whether he is paid for the time is irrelevant. If you're current on type/class and for carriage of pax, there is no legal obligation for him to be there at all - simply club rules.

There is NO P2 in a single pilot aircraft. It does not exist. Doesn't matter how many buttons your PPL passenger presses, that's all he is; a passenger.

As has been mentioned, P1S (or PICUS), is only ever applicable for time logged in the process of a skills test (which you passed). If you failed, you're PUT.

HLloyd - if it were me I would have logged both flights as P1 and told the instructor I was doing so. Most are fine with this, but the hour-builder type might get the monk on over it as they're far more interested in free P1 hours than FI pay.

BizPilotBrazil
2nd Feb 2009, 12:12
Hi Guys!
I need a help.
Well, I bought a Jeppesen JAR-FCL 1.080 Requirements
But I want to log ONLY my flight hours of my present aircraft.
Questions:
I need to open the logbook with old hours, correct?
I have not seen this logbook the correct place to open with old hours.
How I can do it?
Anyone can help me please?
Thank you!

loftustb
2nd Feb 2009, 14:22
Beware! This thread contains a few facts and a lot of duff gen.

RTN11
2nd Feb 2009, 15:15
This questions is always coming up.

I have a small logbook that was given to me by Tayside Aviation, but in the front it accurately describes when to use each term, P1, P1U/S, or Pu/t.

I would quote from it, but it's currently with the CAA for my night qualification paperwork.

does no one else have this, or do they just make up what they want?