PDA

View Full Version : Pacific Coastal crash

Rollingthunder
4th Aug 2008, 14:15
Five people have been confirmed dead after an amphibious airplane with seven people on board crashed shortly after takeoff near Port Hardy, 500 kilometres north of Victoria, Sunday morning.

Two survivors were found after one of them who was relatively unhurt text-messaged a friend, who passed it on to the Victoria Joint Rescue Co-ordination Centre.

Four of the dead are employees of Seaspan International Ltd., the marine services company confirmed late Sunday.

We regret to advise that we have received confirmation ... that four Seaspan employees perished in today's plane crash," said Kelly Francis, the company's communications co-ordinator, in a press statement.

"We offer our deepest sympathies to the families."

Text messages from one of the survivors were crucial in helping crews locate the crash site amid the rugged terrain, said Lt.-Cmdr. Gerry Pash of the Joint Rescue centre. "With the rescue beacon destroyed in the crash, it was very important."

The man and another passenger, who suffered some injuries, were taken to St. Joseph's General Hospital in Comox. Their names have not been released.

The Pacific Coastal Airlines amphibious plane left Port Hardy on the east coast of Vancouver Island at 7 a.m. Sunday with six passengers and a pilot. The Grumman Goose was en route to Chamiss Bay, a 20-minute flight.

The passengers included crew for Seaspan, who were being flown into a remote logging site to load barges for transport.

Pash said the plane went down southwest of Port Hardy about 10 minutes after takeoff. Pacific Coast conducted its own search before reporting the plane missing to the Joint Rescue centre at 10 a.m.

A Cormorant helicopter and a Buffalo fixed-wing aircraft from CFB Comox began searching for the plane on the route between Port Hardy and Chamiss Bay.

Within a few hours, the centre received a call from a man claiming he had been phoned by a crash survivor.

"We tried to call that cell phone back and met with no response," Pash said.

The survivor's phone was apparently unable to receive calls. However it could send text messages to the friend, who continued passing information along to rescue officials throughout the afternoon, Pash said.

Because there was no signal from the plane's electronic locator transmitter, rescue crews used cell phone towers to try and pinpoint where the text messages were coming from.

"He can see the search and rescue planes but we can't find him," Pash said Sunday afternoon. "It's incredibly frustrating."

The survivors were reportedly found near a mountain top. However, the area's thick foliage and rugged terrain made spotting them very difficult, he said.

Pash was not sure whether this is the first rescue to rely primarily on text messages, but said it was definitely unusual for the centre.

"To have someone at the crash site, texting us as it's happening, is beyond the pale," he said.

© Vancouver Sun 2008

Ejector
5th Aug 2008, 04:41
A very sad day.

Engine stall may have crashed fatal crash (http://www.canada.com/vancouversun/story.html?id=3e0a1b6c-a601-4467-9939-e519d899d55c) This is the link next on the left

The victims' names have not been released, pending notification of their families.

Phone messages to the pilot's employer, Pacific Coastal Airlines, were not returned Monday.

In an interview, Bill Yearwood, regional manager of aviation investigation for the Transportation Safety Board, said the pilot had flown for Pacific Coastal for "a couple of seasons" and had a clean flying record.

"We have no information now to suggest there were any problems," he said.

As for the cause of the crash, he said: "We haven't even seen the aircraft or examined the wreckage yet."

He called information about the cause of the crash issued by the RCMP Monday "speculation," adding an engine stall "is not a common thing in aviation."

"I would hesitate to go in that direction at all," he said.

PaperTiger
5th Aug 2008, 15:59
He called information about the cause of the crash issued by the RCMP Monday "speculation," adding an engine stall "is not a common thing in aviation."He was a damn sight more polite than I would have been :mad: . The RCMP knows **** all about aviation and should keep their mouths shut.

"Engine stall" my a** :ugh:

fesmokie
6th Aug 2008, 14:20
Is it just me or was my 27 years of fixin and flying airplanes made me so stupid. I have never heard of the Term ..."Engine Stall" What excactly is an Engine Stall anyway? Loss of lift over the engine???:} :rolleyes:

dwj
6th Aug 2008, 16:19
fesmokie: the term "engine stall" means the sudden stoppage of an engine, so it is correct, although I agree it isn't generally used to describe the stoppage of a piston engine in an airplane. It is quite a common term when describing car engines.

Also: how do I quote previous text when replying? I don't see any option to quote text. Is it only available on the enhanced gui? (I had to switch it off because it doesn't work with firefox).

Ejector
6th Aug 2008, 16:41
Apparantly the pilot was 36 year old Simon Lawrence according to the news....

Tribute to Simon below

CURRENT COVER PAGE (http://www.dhc-2.com/current_cover_page.htm) .