PDA

View Full Version : First training problem, any advice?

SparksFlyHigh
4th Aug 2008, 14:05
Hi all.

I started my ppl back just before Christmas but after having a car crash and having some finance issues pop up i have hit my first problem very early on in my training.

I have not flown sice early June and i am in the middle of Gen Nav, ready to get back into it and book up the rest of my training.

I am on my 4th instructor now due to the two i got on best with leaving and so i need some advice on my current situation. The first thing i was told when i started my ppl was to stick to one or two instructors throughout (i know some people would say its great to have more at a higher level of training, cpl, etc.). Now that the 4th instructor has left and with only 20 hours in my log book, will i have another 4 names by the time i reach 45 hours???

I feel alot more comfortable flying and learning with the same person but on the other hand i can still adapt to change with ease.

I would like some advice on what to do, find another school that will give me one instructor throughout, or just keep going and i 'get who i get'.

I need to know how this may affect my flying and my bank account if i have to re-do excersises etc.

Any help will be great

Thanks

redsnail
4th Aug 2008, 14:58
Apart from the instructors leaving and getting other jobs, are you happy with the school?

If so, speak to the CFI about your concerns and see what happens.

If not, find another school.

SparksFlyHigh
4th Aug 2008, 15:29
Well i guess there isnt anything else to complain about. And it is the most convenient school for me to learn at.

Just not liking all the changes, not that they can be helped but i find myself frustrated having to adapt to a new learning/teaching style every circuit.

redsnail
4th Aug 2008, 18:23
General recruiting has slowed down now so I think you'll be safe. If the instructors are paid by student instead of a wage, they'll fight to keep you.

I'd sit down with the CFI and an instructor you like and hammer out a plan. Sure, weather can wreck the best plans but you're the customer so tell them what you'd like. See if you can book this instructor in advance over several weekends/week days etc.

You are right though, you shouldn't have too many changes during your initial phases of training.
Later on (eg line training) it doesn't matter so much. :ok:

Shunter
4th Aug 2008, 18:57
If you're having instructor changes it's important that the school keep good training records. That way a new instructor can review what you've covered in order to minimise duplication. If the school has it well sewn up it need not be a problem.

I had over 10 instructors during my PPL course, and I still passed my skills test at 43hrs. I'd say consistency is far more crucial than the number of instructors. If you're not getting up regularly you'll be covering old ground because you need to, not just because you've got a new instructor.

SparksFlyHigh
5th Aug 2008, 08:11
Yes, a very good point. I seem to be doing ok in terms of keeping up in with the inconsistency of my flying. I went solo at 11 hours and on general navigation now with 18.5 hours under my belt.

I will just have to hold the flying off, and have a chat with them to try and sort me out with one instructor until i finish. I dont think there would be any point in moving school because that would just make the whole thing worse in regards to learning records etc.

SparksFlyHigh
5th Aug 2008, 12:53
I wasn't too clear when explaining the differences but they are in no way major alterations of teaching styles. Just perhaps on a lower level. Some say call for startup, some dont, some say call for pumps, some dont.

Nothing really major to deal with, but just a little annoying and just another thing to think about on top of the other 1000 things.

Wee Weasley Welshman
5th Aug 2008, 14:06
Continuity of instruction is possibly the most important aspect of basic flying training. Both in terms of instructor and aircraft. And airfield come to that.

In order to focus on the new tasks you need those that you've already mastered to stay constant and therefore non-distracting. Chopping and changing instructor will lead to poor training every time. Its the biggest advantage of an Integrated course. I've been an instructor at both a small PPL school where instructors changed all the time and a large Integrated school where I would solely and exclusively teach a student every single hour of a complete year long Integrated CPL/IR Multi.

When the product is all yours you really care from day one lesson one in how they are taught. When this is just another student for 5 hours of circuits or nav or general handling then - you do your bit but don't really care too much. You'll also be very conservative in sending them off for solos or putting them up for test.

You need to sort your problem out ASAP as you've already suffered badly. I'd ask that the CFI becomes your instructor or you walk and you publish the schools name here. As long as its all true you have nothing to fear.

4 instructors in 20 hours is a joke. From now on the CFI is your instructor. You deserve nothing less by means of reparation.

SparksFlyHigh
5th Aug 2008, 15:42
I have sent you a pm.

BigJoeRice
5th Aug 2008, 20:26
I was instructed by the CFI up to my first solo (8 hrs) but in the next 10 hours I had four different instructors. I didn't want to change schools because I liked what I was flying so I was going to just give it up because it was killing me financially any way. One of the instructors heard of my situation (Ok it was down the pub) and said if I persevered he'd fly with me until I got it done - which I did. Even got to where spinning the bu$$er for the GFT was a doddle.

I lacked confidence in the air because flying didn't come naturally to me and four different approaches to the game got me flummoxed. The instructor who helped me went on to a Captains seat flying 146's for a major airline. A great guy and a great instructor. You need to find your instructor and as somebody has suggested if thats the CFI to compensate you for all the screwing around - so be it.

smith
6th Aug 2008, 23:42
Picture the scene, you have got your fATPL and are an instructor at WeAreGreat.com flying school. You have a new student on 5 hours and out of the blue the phone rings "hello sir, this is FlyYou.com, we are responding to the CV you sent in 18months ago, can you come for interview tomorrow with the possibility of starting a TR a week on Monday?"

You: "I'm sorry sir, I have a student on 5 hours and need to wait til he gets at least 45 hours and passes his PPL GFT, so I won't be able to make it until then, is that OK?"

them: "Clunk, doooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooh"

Of course instructors are going to leave if their dream job turns up, it's a fact of life whether it is an instructor at an integrated or EVEN a "modular" school.

Up until quite recently it has been a common situation at a lot of schools. You will probably find this scenario less common now with the aviation situation as it is. Even CFI's have been known to leave at short notice. Yes continuity would be nice but there are never any guarantees.