PDA

View Full Version : Flight up Loch Lomond

Robbo0885
4th Aug 2008, 11:42
Hi all,

I'm a new PPL, 3hrs post qualifying, 60hrs total. I'm planning a flight from Dundee>Stirling>Alexandria so that I can fly North up the length of Loch Lomond, and onwards to Fort William. From there, direct to Pitlochry and back to Dundee. Total time will be around 2 hours.

My point of this post is to seek advice from anyone having done such a trip, and any points to consider. One particular question I have so far, is who is best to talk to around Fort William? I figured get with Glasgow as i neared, and keep with them as I head over Alexandria and out over Loch Lomond, but then what? Back to Scottish Info? Looks awfully empty on the way to Fort William and back to Pitlochry...

I have flown Dundee>Stirling>Pitlochery>Edzell>Dundee before during my solo flights in PPL training, but am I considering too big a trip with Loch Lomond and Fort William?

Any suggestions,thoughts,advice etc is greatly appreciated. Planning it for Saturday 9th Aug all going well.

Thanks all

tuscan
4th Aug 2008, 11:54
Hi Robbo,

Ive flown around that area quite a lot and found that Scottish give a good sercice throughout, depending on wether you are routing through the mountains or over you may loose them now and again.
On the southern end of Lomond you are very close to Glasgow so Scottish may put you onto them temporarily.

I dont think you are being too ambitious but would say to take care in the mountain areas especially if its windy, I have had some experience of downdraft outperforming the aircraft around there, especially with a strong northerly and turned back to gain sufficient height for a safe passage.

Robbo0885
4th Aug 2008, 12:08
Thanks for the advice,

I figured I'd be with Scottish most of the way from Dundee towards Alexandria, and on nearing Glasgow zobne get in touch with them,. I just wondered how far North I could get with Glasgow (thinking they might keep an eye on me on radar?) before they wanted me back with Scottish? (Nothing against Scottish Info, just having never been that much into the mountains, would have liked someone to see me on their screen!)

In terms of downdraughts, I think I know what you mean. I was flying from Pitlochery to Comrie through valleys and the wind was a westerly. I was heading south west-ish, and a valley joined the one I was flying down from the west. When the wind hit me the turbulence was crazy, and I felt I was being "pushed" to the ground. Scared the crap outta me. Taught me a valuable lesson about flying in mountains tho-perhaps the reason for my caution regarding this loch lomond trip.

tuscan
4th Aug 2008, 12:18
Its good to be cautious, just dont get out of your comfort zone, the mountains and glens will be there for a long time.
If you feel the need for contact throughout the flight then go high, some feel a comfort in knowing that they are able to communicate at all times. Being a Saturday, if the weathers good you will not be on your own up there even if it does seem a bit desolate and lonely.
Keep a good listen and watch out for traffic heading to Oban at weekends. Another good reason to stick to Scottish as thats who most people will be using.

Have a good flight.

charliejulietthotel
4th Aug 2008, 12:58
Hi Robbo, congrats on passing your PPL, if you are who i think you are, i taught you stalling?! good to see new PPLers getting out of the circuit, and sounds like an awesome trip, don't forget to take the camera! Sensible idea about wanting to be on a radar screen, you could ask Scottish for a Radar information service instead of a flight information service? Have you thought about asking another PPL to come with you to share the costs?
Enjoy! CJH

Robbo0885
4th Aug 2008, 14:28
Thanks all.

CJH, if you are refering to an epic 2 hour flight teaching stalls, you may be right! Hows the flying compare now to a year ago? :)
I didnt think Scottish Info could give a radar info service? I would certainly ask for that rather than the FIS I usually ask for.

The plan is to go up with my dad and grandad, we've done the Forth Bridges, we live in Aberdeen so dont need to see it...Loch Lomond is the next thing on the hit list to see. Should be good, just hope the weather is ok.

Thanks again all for the advice.

charliejulietthotel
4th Aug 2008, 19:29
hahaha yeah thats me, sorry about that, should have just shouted at me! the flying is great ta, can get a bit monotonous at times, doing the same routes over and over again, but it's better than nothing! we get a RIS from Scottish, you can ask them, if they say no, sorry too busy, then ask glasgow radar, if you don't ask you don't get!
Have fun on the trip, sure will bump into you in the club at some point!

fisbangwollop
5th Aug 2008, 06:08
After leaving Dundee give us a call at Scotish info 119.875, we will give you a FIS till about Thornhill area then tend to pass you over to Glasgow 119.1 as you are just north of their CTZ and they usually have traffic in the Loch Lomond area. At Loch lomond glasgow will put you back to Scottish info. Stay with us then for the rest of the flight via Ft William and Pitlochry.......depending n level if FL055 and below only a FIS will be available, above F055 a RIS may be available subject traffic loading on another sector frequency. R/T coverage around FT William can be poor below about 4000ft but you will re establish good comms as you fly back towards Pitlochry......If you go saturday I am on back shift so we may speak!!! have a great flight and enjoy, and dont forget to ask for any info you require.....there is not such a thing as a silly question....only a silly answer!!! Take care.:ok:

Robbo0885
5th Aug 2008, 07:43
Thanks fisbangwollop,

All going well I'm leaving Dundee around half twelve, so will be up and about til around half two I reckon. making Ft.William depends on weather. Might ust be Loch Lomond and back. When you say the radio reception is poor below 4000', is that gonna mean I could loose Scottish all together for a while, or will it just be a bit quiet with interference....?

CJH, will maybe bump into you. Got a bit of a change of scenery come the New Year though, heading out to New Zealand on the CTC Wings Cadet course.

fisbangwollop
5th Aug 2008, 07:55
Yes you could loose us for a short while around Ft William area at those levels below 4000ft , there really is no one else to talk to either up there as the coverage on 127.275 with Scottish is no better in that area either. You could always speak to Oban info if concerned but to be honest on a busy saturday afternoon there will always be traffic on 119.875 that can relay if required........you will never get 100% coverage over the hills of Scotland but at Scottish info we generally know the areas that we will loose contact for a short period so do not worry about it!! based on the times you give it will probably be myself that talks, so as I said earlier have a great trip and enjoy.....looking at the longer range synoptic chart for saturday it looks like you may be lucky with a small ridge of high moving in over the country.:ok: