PDA

View Full Version : CRP-1 or CRP-5

Okavango
4th Aug 2008, 09:27
Hi. I'll soon be starting my nav exercises for PPL. I'm fairly sure I'll progress on to CPL - does it makes sense to buy a CRP-5 now or should I get a CRP-1 for the PPL and a CRP-5 later? Cheers.

Whirlygig
4th Aug 2008, 09:38
You might as well buy a CRP-5 now and save yourself about £40!

Cheers

Whirls

RTN11
4th Aug 2008, 09:58
definately get a CRP-5 straight off if you're planning to go commercial.

Be careful if you look on ebay, I know someone who bought one there, and it fell apart soon afer he got it. You're going to be using it a lot, and you need it to be accurate.

Okavango
4th Aug 2008, 11:05
Thanks - appreciate the advice. Pooleys is the best model? From what I've seen should be able to pick one up for £30-40 2nd hand.

Genghis the Engineer
4th Aug 2008, 11:42
Pooleys CRP-5 and the AFE ARC-2 are as good as each other and both fine for CPL/ATPL exams + any PPL stuff, the other option which is a little less user friendly but very capable is the Aviat 617.

Whichever you buy make sure it's in good condition, you get the manual with it, and it has a wind arm

G

davidbrent
4th Aug 2008, 11:57
definitely recommend the CRP-5

for ATPL, you will need to be practicing the functions on it every day to pass the General Nav Paper!

not to mention it being one of the most useful tools a pilot will need!

RTN11
4th Aug 2008, 19:46
I'm sure you'll still be carrying it in your flight bag ready to use when you're a captain for BA.

paco
5th Aug 2008, 09:06
The CRP-5 is not the best one - it just happens to be what the examiners use (three of them to cover quality control!) The ARC-2 is a nicer-made instrument, and my own choice is the Jepp (no experience of the Transair one). There is enough leeway in the answers to cope with all the various makes.

However, there may be one or two windows or settings on the CRP-5 that make a difference for your circumstances. Check with your school first.

Phil