PDA

View Full Version : Spitfire over Bucks

EyesFront
3rd Aug 2008, 22:59
This afternoon, I had just got home from a few days leave when something very low, loud and fast roared over the house. I rushed into the garden in time to see a Spitfire doing some sharp aeros directly overhead - an absolutely phenomenal sight and sound. The aircraft - possibly a Mk IX - was being flown at lower level and with more elan than is usual at air shows these days, and the classic upward rolls were a delight..

I couldn't make out the markings, but am curious about where it came from - is there a Spitfire at Booker these days - and why it chose my village, just N of High Wycombe, for its display!

Tyres O'Flaherty
4th Aug 2008, 00:40
Possibly MH434

JEM60
4th Aug 2008, 06:43
Almost certainly AR 213. Spitfire Mk.1, rebuilt by PPS at Booker, still based there I believe. The oldest Spitfire flying. Probably being flown by Jonathon Whaley, who does it's display flying. It used to be owned by the Hon. Patrick Lyndsay. When I used to fly from Booker, many, many years ago, I had the pleause of having this aircraft fly fairly close to me whilst I was puttering along in a C.150. Magic.

EyesFront
4th Aug 2008, 08:19
I don't think it was a Mk 1 - I couldn't see the markings because it was sihouetted against a bright sky but this aircraft had cannon fitted, so it had to be Vb or later!

(Too much time spent making airfix models as a boy!)

Background Noise
4th Aug 2008, 08:38
Q) EGTT/QWALW/IV/M/W/000/030/5140N00044W002

E) AIR DISPLAY/AEROBATICS (SPITFIRE ACFT) WI 2NM 5140N 00044W
(GREAT KINGSHILL, NR HIGH WYCOMBE BUCKS). AUS 08-08-0354/AS2

LOWER: SFC
UPPER: 2600FT AMSL

This was the event I presume. It doesn't follow that it was a locally-based ac however.

EyesFront
4th Aug 2008, 11:18
Bang on... that's my village!
Whoever and whatever it was intended for, I certainly enjoyed it!
The pilot was using high power settings, so the sound was raw, loud and throaty ... glorious!

Many Thanks
EF

mr fish
4th Aug 2008, 15:52
i know exactly what you mean, living close to east midlands airport we have stuff coming over all the time, but just once in a while something piston powered comes rumbling by and i'm 9 years old all over again!!!:ok:

GreenWings
4th Aug 2008, 16:48
Eyesfront, I saw the disply too, both of them in fact. I caught the first one but it departed before I could get the camera out. I was so pleased when it came back. I managed a few snaps but against the cloudy sky not sure how they came out. Will have to check later, see what I can do with photoshop. It looked like it was over kingshill common, why, I don't know but it made my day and brought all the neighbours put into the street to look.

I think it was a Mk9 with the 2 cannons and the D Day stripes.

:ok: :D

GreenWings

NutLoose
5th Aug 2008, 10:41
Rolls Royce were displaying the MK X1X which was for the Bomber Command Memorial Trust I believe. There may have been more than one displaying, but Rolls Royce's was there for a 15.30 display and it was been flown by Rod Dean, sorry, I cannot tell you what colour socks he was wearing:ok:..... Just been informed they were beige LOL, straight up!! no joke!!:eek:. No canons fitted as it is a PR version, but it does have Invasion stripes..... I hope that helps :)

Heritage Foundation Garden Party

Annual Heritage Foundation Garden Party
With special guest Robin Gibb
Great Kingshill, Bucks
Tickets: £55
Credit card hotline: 01992 451332
Or call for info: 01494 714388

Here is one of my latest pictures of it for those that like them :ok:

Though with web space changes it will dissapear in a day or so.... Have passed the comments on about the display to those involved with it. :ok:

As for the person near East Midlands that likes the sound of it flying over.... well it's one and the same Aircraft.:)

http://mysite.orange.co.uk/aircraftphoto/Charlie_at_the_ready.JPG