PDA

View Full Version : Air Cadet And Sponsorship?

jschofield
3rd Aug 2008, 19:25
I am Josh, I'm 15, i am in the Air Cadets and have flown in a two seat aircraft Six times and have been gliding in a motor glider twice and successsfully completed two courses for them in the two flights.I recently recieved praise in the last two flights in the light aircraft and both pilots in the glider because i was upposedly a brilliant young pilot.When i reach 16 in 10 months I will get a cadet CV listing all the activities I have done in my time as a cadet. I wish to stay on as a cadet until i am 18 or maybe longer and wish to be a Corporal or Sargeant, etc. The CV will show employers my abilities and can get me chosen above any other normal person without one.

I am hoping to get a gliding scholarship through Air Cadets and maybe a cadet pilot scheme.I want to be a commercial pilot in the future, i am recieving A's and B's in my school work and i have somewhere in the region of £7000 saved up which i plan on spending on my private pilots license.I am just a bit confused on what happens next. If you would be so kind to answer the questions please I would be really grateful.

How much are private pilots license's?

How much is commercial pilot licence?

If i dont get a CPL but get a PPL would an airline doing sponsorship accept me?

Are there many airlines doing sponorships?

Are sponsorships hard to come across?

Thank you for reading this and i would be so grateful if you could answer my questions:ok:

Streety
3rd Aug 2008, 19:36
This is a wind up right?

99jolegg
3rd Aug 2008, 19:52
The route to an airline is vast - look at the sticky in the Professional Pilot Training forum - it'll give you some links to look at. On top of that, use the search engine function; you'll find a load of information that you need.

BerksFlyer
3rd Aug 2008, 21:33
Forget about sponsorship. They don't exist anymore in the form you're thinking of.

Bigga
3rd Aug 2008, 22:49
Hello josh,

I am not an expert but will try and answer your questions.

"How much are private pilots license's?"
When i was doing mine 2/3 years ago it was approx £5000

"How much is commercial pilot licence?"
I am not entirely sure, but to get an Air transport pilots licence it can cost in excess of £50,000

"If i dont get a CPL but get a PPL would an airline doing sponsorship accept me?"
There are some companies (two that i know of) that do this kind of sponsorship. They require you to have a PPL and they train you up and in return you work for them for a set amount of time. (just google something like pilot cadet scheme)

Are there many airlines doing sponorships?
Very few airlines doing 100% sponsorship at the moment in the UK, most require you to atleast pay part of the training. but check out the threads in this forum they'll tell you all you need to know

Are sponsorships hard to come across?
at the moment, yes

and check out the replies to your last post, a few people have posted some good information about cadet schemes there.

BerksFlyer
3rd Aug 2008, 23:29
"If i dont get a CPL but get a PPL would an airline doing sponsorship accept me?"
There are some companies (two that i know of) that do this kind of sponsorship. They require you to have a PPL and they train you up and in return you work for them for a set amount of time. (just google something like pilot cadet scheme)

Look at Highland Airways and Atlantic Airlines/RVL. Driving licence for all the donkey work and a PPL are required.

preduk
4th Aug 2008, 00:33
Ahh I remember my cadet days, when 6 flights looked like loads on your 3822 until you meet an ex military pilot with over 20,000!

Keep working at the cadets, it helped me a lot when getting jobs, infact it gives you really good answers for a lot of the interview questions.

If I were you, I would keep going with the cadets, keeping working hard at school and keeping saving! Not many people can save these days :ok:

To answer your questions again with more info:

1) At the moment its looking at about £6,000-£7,000, most people fly from around £105-160 per hour.

2) From looking at the price list of my local school, it's £5,500

3) There are two I think, RVL and Highland Airways. Both are very, very hard to get into.

4) I don't know of many that will pay for all your training without locking you into some sort of a long term contract I'm afraid.

5) Yes. Even some of the flight schools are hard to get into. I believe CTC is something like 6-7% entry rate

Two areas for you to look at:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/professional-pilot-training-includes-ground-studies/131649-archive-reference-threads-posting-guidelines-read-before-you-post-question.html

AND

Tayside Aviation » How to become an Airline Pilot (http://www.taysideaviation.co.uk/flying/learning/index/trainingairlinepilot.html)

For information on how the training works.

Localiser
4th Aug 2008, 09:53
BALPA (British AirLine Pilots Association - a professional organisation and trade union) has a number of publications available for download which should answer some of your questions...

How to Become a Pilot (http://www.balpa.org/intranet/How-to-bec/index.htm)

Good luck Josh.

LOC :ok:

Toddes21
5th Aug 2008, 12:28
Hi Josh,

I was an Atlantic Airlines Cadet based out of Coventry. The scheme is still open and they will be looking for cadets for a long time to come. The company is expanding rapidly and the need for pilots may be great in the next few years.
The scheme has now changed to a 50% sponsorship for what I understand. No money up front but when you start as an F/O it is at a reduced wage to pay for your Frozen ATPL. Still a great way to get on the ladder and you'll be flying a 24-52 tonne turboprop at the end. Great way to start a career.
Just need a PPL and drivers licence to apply. Any questions give me a shout.

Cheers

Todd