PDA

View Full Version : When to rotate a wheel assembly?

HoneySmacks
3rd Aug 2008, 14:12
The CAA-UK has recently audited us and requires that our MOE state when wheel assemblies in the stores are to be rotated and to record same. Can anyone provide a reference to a regulation behind such a request- I've tried the obvious - Tyre manufacturers, AMM's, etc?
Thanks vey much

stevef
3rd Aug 2008, 16:44
I don't have them to hand but try CAA CAP562 (Civil Aircraft Airworthiness Information and Procedures). I seem to remember - in the old ones at least - a section on tyre storage. You can download these from the CAA website.

morton
4th Aug 2008, 02:22
CAAIPS 15.2.1 states 2-3 Months for Tyres. Don't know if the same applies to Wheels.

Golden Rivet
4th Aug 2008, 08:24
Exactly, it refers to tyres, not built up wheel Assemblies. We store our wheel assemblies at working pressure, so rotating them would make no difference what so ever.

If you've been stupid enough to put it in your MOE, then you've got to comply with it.....

Swedish Steve
4th Aug 2008, 17:16
Exactly, it refers to tyres, not built up wheel Assemblies. We store our wheel assemblies at working pressure, so rotating them would make no difference what so ever.

Agreed. For many years we rotated wheels in the stores every three months until some bright spark pointed out that it only applied to tyres, not wheel assemblies. So we don't do it any more.