PDA

View Full Version : Uk Helicopter Pilot Sponsorship

James_Grace
2nd Aug 2008, 22:22
Hi,

I was just wondering if anybody knew of any sponsorships for helicopter pilot training. i am currently doing my PPL (A) but would really like to go into rotary. Do companys such as Bristow, CHC Scotia and Bond offer these. Or Does anyone know of any generous people sponsoring people.

Welcomes any information especially from pilot flying for the 3 companys above

James

ManOnTheSticks
2nd Aug 2008, 22:47
Hi James

As far as I am aware Bond are the only UK company to have offered sponsorship in recent times although I am willing to be corrected.

The thread discussing that is here http://www.pprune.org/forums/rotorheads/287912-bond-oat-sponsorship.html

Bravo73
2nd Aug 2008, 22:59
And the Bond 'sponsorship' will still cost you £30k.

"There's no such thing as a free lunch." ;)

James_Grace
2nd Aug 2008, 23:29
well i heard this guy talking on here and he said he was sponsored by Bristow about 5 year ago and his post said they don't advertise there sponsorships so who knows

Bravo73
2nd Aug 2008, 23:37
Bristow used to run a Cadet scheme. But more like 10, rather than 5, years ago.

What Limits
3rd Aug 2008, 00:43
You could also try The Guild of Air Pilots and Air Navigators

http://www.gapan.org

There are a few hoops to jump through but its well worth trying.

Nobby 05
3rd Aug 2008, 20:03
Hi James,

If you are not keen to try the military route then Gapan is a good place to start, although I think the only rotary scholarship they offer currently is for an instructor rating which requires previous qualifications.

As you are under 23 it would be well worth looking into the Dennis Kenyon Junior Helicopter Flying Scholarship. It was set up by Dennis in memory of his son, further info here:

Griffin Helicopters | Dennis Kenyon Jr Scholarship (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/dkjrscholarship.asp)

It offers a great opportunity to do your PPL(H) and would also give you a really good introduction to the helicopter industry!

Good luck with everything,

Nobby

James_Grace
4th Aug 2008, 18:48
yea i tried GAPAN and this is what they said "our scholarships or set out in stone on our website and we only provide a FI rating"

and dennis kenyon said he's retired so there will be no more ppl scholorships from him

VeeAny
20th Aug 2008, 19:43
James

I am glad to report that you are wrong about the Dennis Kenyon Jr Scholarship.

It is very much alive and well, and Dennis Sr may be in the process of retiring, but at the moment he is stiil in current practice as an instructor and display pilot, having just competed at the world championships.

A prominent aviation organisation is in the process of organising an event with the proceeds going to support the 2009 scholarship. There are a couple of pilots who I know are willing to help Dennis with the next one even if he has retired by then (I did the LST on the last one, and will do what I can for the next one). I cant say anymore than that as its not my place to reveal any details.

The link Nobby posted above will certainly be updated, when the details become public.

Cheers

Gary

paddycopter
12th Sep 2011, 17:35
Hearing rumours bond are planning to run there cadetship again (like the one with oxford assesment and training at bristow acd). watch this space

SilsoeSid
12th Sep 2011, 18:07
As you are under 23 it would be well worth looking into the Dennis Kenyon Junior Helicopter Flying Scholarship.

Griffin Helicopters | Dennis Kenyon Jr Scholarship (http://www.griffin-helicopters.co.uk/dkjrscholarship.asp)
Previous winners have been Zoe Spain of Ascot, Hannah Nobbs of Malden and Georgie Dixon of Oundle.

But if you're a bloke....maybe not ! :eek::E

HowlingMad Murdock
12th Sep 2011, 20:45
For bods a 'little over' 23 there does not appear to be any Rotary Scholarship avail. in the U.K. for a PPL(H):sad:

MartinCh
12th Sep 2011, 23:11
Wrong nationality or age. Just like me. It'd be years of savings/slaving and family's fortunes if available, as for many of us.

I'll check the heli FI rating GAPAN's sponsorship. Read post by Flying Lawyer that this year's awards were the last ones. Oh well. I could do with ICAO FI -> JAA FI reduction in training, too.

I have to harrass Mr Kenyon for a ride sometime (or lesson), while in the UK. It'd be very interesting indeed.

I'd be interested in Bond's scheme if they sponsor the ME IR(H) and TR part as I'm pretty low on funds soon. Bit of flying in Hillsboro and distance study ATPLs probably won't cut it, if they'd only do it via Bristow Academy..

I shall start to look for flying buddies in Cardiff or Bristol area I guess.