PDA

View Full Version : 737-800 Questions

KristianNorway
2nd Aug 2008, 21:53
I'll start off like I did in my previous thread. :) I have a question regarding the Boeing 738 which I hope someone out there can answer for me. English is also my second language, so please try not to deduct too many assumptions from apparent language errors. ;)

I have heard that upon touchdown, when reverse thrust is engaged prior to nose wheel touchdown, one can experience a pitch up moment.
Does anyone know the reason for this?

IrishJetdriver
2nd Aug 2008, 22:05
On touchdown the reversers are unlocked and moved to either the 1st or 2nd detent as the nosewheel comes down. In my experience you need to stop the nosewheel dropping if you are a bit early with the reverser.

Have you checked out smartcockpit.com?

rubik101
2nd Aug 2008, 22:19
On the -200, yes. On the NG, no.

KristianNorway
2nd Aug 2008, 22:29
Yes, I think I've downloaded every .pdf-file there is from Smartcockpit.com :)

If you need to stop the nosewheel from dropping you are actually experiencing a pitch down moment during reverse thrust ...

mrjet
3rd Aug 2008, 09:00
With correct technique, the nosewheel will be on the ground when you start feeling the effect of the reversers.

If you try to hold the nosewheel off the ground (which you absolutely should not, even though there are some pilots out there who do it for fun I guess), you will have to add a little back pressure when the reversers come in.

The back pressure is also needed to compensate for the reduced lift of the stabilizer.

Either way, as long as you use correct technique you won't have to worry about any pitch moment caused by reversers.

rubik101
3rd Aug 2008, 10:08
Reduced lift of the stabilizer? Which direction does your stabilizer produce lift? Up or Down?