PDA

View Full Version : Forces Help From The Sun

fantaman
2nd Aug 2008, 20:34
Some on the board might find this of interest. I've just picked up the paper for a quick read whilst waiting for the better half to get ready. The Sun has a two page spread on companies who have given discount or preferential rates to members of the Armed Forces.

Thumbs Up To...
Malmaison Hotel Chain - £100 off a room (£59 b&b) and 20% off all food and drink
BMi - 10% off all fares (MoD fares)
Hilton Hotels - Government rate £95, saving £17

Tight a**e's...
BA - No more discounts for the forces (so much for the flag carrier)
Gleaneagles Hotel
One Devonshire Gardens (Glasgow hotel)

A few other companies also offered help to the forces. Lock Fyne Oyster bar offered a squaddie free drinks all night if he booked a table for two. Hamilton Race Course offered free VIP tickets for ladies day at the races.

Its nice to see that some people do still appreciate us and equally sad to see that some wont even acknowledge our efforts, in particular BA :*

minigundiplomat
2nd Aug 2008, 20:58
Gleaneagles Hotel

Happy enough for the SH Force to ferry their guests about during the G8 summit. I reckon the Swindon Travelodge should put in a tender next time.

Double Zero
2nd Aug 2008, 21:19
The obviously sad thing about this is it was run with by the 'Sun' - good info' anyway.

I'm not ex-forces, just ex-BAe; when visiting a pub in Guildford,by the river, there was a sign on the door saying " No Forces Personnel " -strangely enough it was run by Irish people, who were very poor at handling 'civilian' customers too - my chum, a flight test observer,and I did a quick 180 in disgust.

I think they've gone bust since.

Shame.

B_Fawlty
3rd Aug 2008, 14:09
Fantaman -

Lock Fyne Oyster bar

I think you meant Loch Fyne, 'tis a natural body of water and not a canal! := ;)

Sloppy Link
3rd Aug 2008, 16:26
Went to the Royal Garden Party recently and was ushered straight througgh the gates by the Met with (a little louder so all could hear) "Her Majesty does not wish for her uniformed servicemen to queue outside the Royal Palace". There is someone who very definitely appreciates us.

Jimlad1
3rd Aug 2008, 20:51
"Which are generally 20% more expensive than getting the tickets elsewhere."

Majority of airline discounts are based on the fully flexible fare and not the cheapest one.

Does anyone have an electronic link for the malmaison discount?

luoto
4th Aug 2008, 08:41
And no discount on News International publications, oh, that would mean the Sun not err, supporting...

artyhug
4th Aug 2008, 12:39
Jimlad,

A little bit more detail on the Malmaison offer here

British Army Rumour Service > > Forums > > Finance & Travel > > Forces Discounts > > Malmaison Hotels -50% Off (http://www.arrse.co.uk/cpgn2/Forums/viewtopic/t=101994.html)

I can throughly recommend them too, Oxford in particular.