PDA

View Full Version : Procrastination

RTN11
2nd Aug 2008, 17:08
I'm studying for my ATPL theory exams. My first set of 7 are due for October, but I'm already finding it really hard to get into studying. I just keep putting it off.

Does anyone have any advise on how they managed to digest so much information?

KeithTo
2nd Aug 2008, 17:53
I just keep thinking of the goal at the end of the exams:ok:

IrishJetdriver
2nd Aug 2008, 20:46
Who is financing your ambition? At 21, if it's you, you should have "The Fear" well and truly by now. That often is more than enough of a motivation. If it's not you, then you should consider the disrespect you are handing to your financier.

Knuckle down. Don't do anything except study. Set a study schedule and get revising. Visit question banks etc.

October is really really close at this stage of events. It's all up to you. You can p**s the money in the wind really easily.

As they say.....it's a choice issue.

There have been other posts recently on how best to study.

Good luck.....and get on with it !!!!!!

RTN11
2nd Aug 2008, 21:18
I'm financing up until my IR, then my parents are bailing me out. (been working hard for 3 years, and not spent much)

The fear has set in, and I am studying hard, I've just never been a good student when i'm on my own, at the desk, with the book infront of me (so i've opted for a residencial groundschool course)

I coasted through GCSEs, and didnt study hard for a-levels, so i've never really developed a very good study technique.

Dane-Ger
2nd Aug 2008, 21:47
prioritise your studying, question banks for subjects like air law and ops, and study like mad to understand the principles behind subjects like met and gnav.

Try not to make too many notes, especially when it's a principle you understand, keep it simple and to the point, for example, a formula you need to remember and one worked example to remind you of how to do it.

A simple diagram or mnemonic can save a thousand words and is easier to remember. I have a small notebook with lots of key points, diagrams and explanations. there is maybe only twenty to thirty pages for each subject, but it's all the important things that I personally found difficult to remember or understand.

I had this with me most of the time and used every spare moment to read up on things.

lastly, with only a couple of months to the exams, you need to start getting used to the style of questions, so hit those question banks!

This is of course my method but we all learn in different ways! you just have to get stuck in.

Just remember why you are doing it and good luck!

Regards D-G

IrishJetdriver
2nd Aug 2008, 22:11
Try those question banks. See where you are weak. Work with someone else.

When I did mine I was lucky that there were 11 of us staying at the same place. Always had someone who knew something.

Stick notes on walls. use pnemonics as suggested.

Questions are great because you may get a lot by answer recognition.

Again....good luck, and stay focussed.

F3
2nd Aug 2008, 23:04
Let your stumbling blocks become your stepping stones.

My music teacher told me this when I was about ten, I have used it throughout life.

Select the subjects you find the hardest to understand and absolutely nail them. Become the worlds worst bore on them, know them inside out. This method has two effects, firstly you know the the topics you feared inside- out and second you have the confidence to tackle everything below them, safe in the knowledge you are able to understand.

Please don't let time trickle away and just depend upon remembering question banks. Learn about the subjects concerned with flying thoroughly and with passion. That thoroughness and passion will be repaid ten fold when you may need it most - at an interview, or more importantly when aloft.

Good luck with it all.

preduk
3rd Aug 2008, 00:10
Straight from a study guide I have:

• Try to determine why you have been procrastinating: fear
of failure? fear of criticism? self-demands for perfect work?

• If the reasons for your procrastinating habits elude you,
then talk with a counsellor. An objective view from outside
will help.

• Plan each day and write down your tasks to be accomplished
in a diary. Tick the tasks as you accomplish them.

• For an additional prompt, give a list of your goals to a close
friend and meet several times a week to discuss the progress
you are making.

• If perfectionism is a problem, try to adopt what I call an
`acceptable level of approximation'. That is, you prepare
your work to a level acceptable to you, but short of the
perfect point, and then hand it in. Waiting until perfection is
reached can be a very long wait.

• Break large and intimidating jobs down into small achievable
bits and work diligently at these bits. Tick the small
jobs as you go to provide the reinforcement and assurance
that progress is being made.

• Make a wall chart of study tasks accomplished. Seeing
visual evidence each day of positive progress will help to
keep your momentum going.

• Ask yourself frequently each day what is the most important
mark-earning job which you should be doing right now.
That question will induce you to consider essay preparation
tasks and exam revision.

• To cope with the temptation to do `busy work' jobs which
can draw you away from your studies, make a list of other
jobs to do. Look for an opportunity when they can be done
in a concentrated manner, preferably at a time which will
not detract from your academic work.

• Try to make daily studying a productive habit. Get to your
study place at the same time each day and get straight to
work. Start with an easy task to gain momentum.

• Prior to taking study breaks, which are important to keep
your mind fresh and alert, write down the time of your
return to study and note the task to be done. Planning
ahead, even in this short span, will help you to keep focused
and to keep going.

Tony Hirst
3rd Aug 2008, 01:38
I'm studying for my ATPL theory exams. My first set of 7 are due for October, but I'm already finding it really hard to get into studying. I just keep putting it off.
Are you trying to study at home? If so remove yourself to a cafe, library or just on a train going anywhere. You'd be amazed at how alternative suroundings enable hours of concentrated study.

As Preduk says, momentum and "approximation" (as he calls it) were the other keys for me.

preduk
3rd Aug 2008, 12:21
My biggest issue was motivation, so I went out and purchased a huge 747 cockpit poster and put it right infront of my study area to remind my why I'm doing the work.

daria-ox
3rd Aug 2008, 15:28
Preduk, that's what I was going to do is well, I'm starting ATPL's in December, but I still have few exams for PPL to go, and sometimes if I don't get something, I just can't be bothered doing it anymore and want to move on but then I look at the picture of Airbus 380 just next to my bed and that still motivates me, I can't find any cockpit posters though.!

clear prop!!!
3rd Aug 2008, 16:16
I have nothing but admiration for you guys who undertake ATPL's via distance learning.

The sight of the course material and the magnitude of information which has to be absorbed is mind numbing!

I must admit I could not have taken the distance learning route although I understand that the level of support is now fantastic.

I found being with other students on a full time basis was essential for someone like me, and the ability to talk things through in the evenings was invaluable.

Don't get me wrong. I am NOT knocking distance learning it is VERY right, and the only practical way for some.

RTN11....don't put it off,...it will not go away!!!
The longer you leave it the more onerous it will become.
The time we take to do our ATPL's and the amount of knowledge we have to retain puts many a degree course in 'GCSE land'.

When I was instructing PPL students, who planned to go on to do their ATPL's, If any complained about the amount of info in their Trev T manuals, I would simply slap an ATPL Met or Air Law volume on the desk to put things into perspective!!!

It's not easy, but ...get on with it.... AND NOW!!!

BTW, I understand the 2/3 day Oxford brush up courses are great if they still do them.

Good luck