PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructing vs flying in Africa

05pearcj
2nd Aug 2008, 14:59
Hi all..

I have just recently finished my training and at the moment am struggling to even get an interview.:confused: I finished my training in min hours which seems to count hugely against me as i do not even have the 250 required by most companies to put in an application. I'm still flying but the expense is becoming too much in UK to build any decent hours. I am looking at my options and am now considering either going to Africa to fly- I have a couple of contacts there that can get me a job ( all single VFR time though) or doing a flight instructors course here in UK. Anybody have any feedback on which would be the better option? I know UK time is looked upon favourably but the Africa time would be a guaranteed 700 hours in a year and commercial transport time. Any help or advice would be much appreciated!!!

Thanks..:)

MIKECR
2nd Aug 2008, 15:43
I wouldnt be too disheartened at not getting an interview. Even when the industry is in a boom time, people can still wait months, even years to get an interview for a half decent job.

As for your question, personally i would rather do an FI rating than go to Africa. There are still plenty FI jobs going here in the UK. You only need to look at Pilot, Flyer, UKGA etc to see theres loads of work for FI's. On top of that, an FI rating will stand you in good stead for your future career, once the airline recruitment picks up again.

Jumbo744
3rd Aug 2008, 04:26
it really depends on your personality I think.

Personally, I can't wait to finish my training and go to Africa. Not only it will be a great learning experience flyingwise and humanwise, but you may easily get turbine/turboprop hours.

spearomic
3rd Aug 2008, 16:28
Go to Africa, and get ure CFI at the same time, there aren't many instructors over there, that could be a big asset.

prodi9y
5th Aug 2008, 16:28
Let's say I have a CASA CPL, what are the requirements to covert to a SA CPL?

Anyone has done it before?