PDA

View Full Version : Is becoming a pilot considered a college course or something?

flyhigh23
2nd Aug 2008, 13:50
I want to know if the training you need to become a commercial pilot will be considered as your college study as well. I've really dreamed of becoming a pilot but I also value my college education as well. I'm still in high school but I'll be graduating in 2010 and I want to make up my mind as early as now. I really want to have a college education but if training to become a pilot can serve as one, then I don't mind at all.

I also have a classmate who also wants to become a pilot but he's taking a college course first before training to become a pilot. Is this advisable to do or can I train right away?

Your answers are really important. Thanks in advance. :)

powerstall
2nd Aug 2008, 16:03
Well, the good thing if you have taken another course rather than any flying based college degree.. you can have a "fall back" career just in case things don't work out the way you wanted it to be.

It would really help if the flying school you have chosen to guide you through the ranks (SPL-PPL-CPL- Multi-IR), have a very solid foundation and not just some fly-by-night flying schools....

Sad to say, being in the aviation business is a dog eat dog world, knowing the right contacts and having the right attitude can help you in many ways.

So goodluck and cheers! :ok:

WxObserver
2nd Aug 2008, 18:38
To answer your question, pilot training itself is not a college education that leads up to a degree. However, there are some colleges that offer 4-5 year BS degrees specializing in pilot. In addition to the liberal arts and science courses and the core subjects, the curriculum will include some technical aviation courses plus ground school classes and actual flight training for the different licenses. Where training happens may vary from school to school.

bad_attitude
3rd Aug 2008, 13:45
please do yourself a favor and get yourself a degree or two first.

pspcz
3rd Aug 2008, 14:16
become a doctor and buy your own aircraft, do not waste an education on aviation it is not a career...it is only a "job"...big difference.