PDA

View Full Version : Catch Me If You Can - SriLankan Style

saly4
1st Aug 2008, 18:16
(Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride) :=

This is history repeating itself. Hope you can remember Frank William Abagnale, Jr. The federal government was prudent in releasing him before his full sentence was served to use him to counter frauds. I am not sure if this “new Abagnale” from Germany has other talents than forging documents and flying aircraft. The German authorities will find out and take the necessary steps. I am surprised that he handled huge AirBuses maybe better than a qualified pilot. This raises the question that whether university degrees, diplomas, certificates are the only way to judge a person’s capabilities. If there is will, determination and talent any person can become what he/she wants. There maybe rocket scientists repairing three-wheelers, chemical engineers brewing Kasippu, nuclear weapon engineers making Gul-Katas, astronomers climbing coconut trees in abundance among us. A different and a practical approach to education can find those talents and make use of them for the betterment of themselves and the world but this is the last thing we can expect from the authorities.
Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride -
Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride - From Sunday Times [I]Fake pilot takes SriLankan Airlines for a ride (http://www.sundaytimes.lk/080727/News/sundaytimesnews_11.html)
Civil Aviation authorities yesterday revoked the licence of a SriLankan Airlines flight captain after it was revealed that the man was a fake, a top official said. Civil Aviation Director General Parakrama Dissanayake said the pilot, a German national, had gained employment with the airlines, producing cleverly-doctored documents.
He said the decision to revoke the licence was taken after Sri Lankan Airline submitted clear evidence which suggested that the suspect had forged documents regarding his qualifications and experience.
Mr. Dissanayake said the man was later summoned to the Civil Aviation Authority office for an inquiry conducted by senior flight officers. It was thereafter decided to revoke the license with immediate effect.
The German national joined the national carrier in 2007 and had piloted flights to various capitals, risking the lives of thousands of passengers and crew as well as many others on the ground, SriLankan Airlines sources said. They said the suspect had not only possessed a forged pilot license but also carried three different passports.
It has now been revealed that the man was not a qualified airline captain but a low ranking flight officer and not eligible to pilot an Airbus A 340.
During his stay with SriLankan Airlines he had flown the Airbus A 340 that touched down in many busy airports such as Heathrow, Frankfurt, Paris and Dubai, the sources said.

Trader
1st Aug 2008, 22:15
Hmmmmm.....any chance this was an ex-GF pilot?? Remember the FO that was always going on about being a 340 TRE - wore 4 bars on the drive to work and then switched to 3 bars in the parking lot!!!!!

loc22550
2nd Aug 2008, 08:37
Hmmm...Any chance this was an Ex QR. german F/O...Who kept telling everybody he is a CPT(frustrated of not being upgraded with Qr)...simply because he got enough money to pay his upgrade in his home country(sim...)while he was with QR,and put it on his JAR licence,But never flow as CPT in any company....
And was seen wearing 4 stripes by some colleagues while he was flying in his home country as a F/O at the Gas station while refuelling his car...
After he left QR in 2006(still F/O),he was seen alone in Shanghai arrival terminal airport(in Cpt uniform..again:uhoh:!),probably waiting for QR incoming crew...:ooh:, pretending he was flying A-340 as CPT for a" private company "in China....??
Well maybe...
(with his ID card carefully hidden under his jacket...!).

OMDB-PiLoT
2nd Aug 2008, 09:21
I have a feeling this German guy is an old member on PPRuNe!

P.Clostermann
2nd Aug 2008, 13:37
Oh my God!

Would it be the father of a girl named "Sky Breitling" a.k.a "Call me G.B. " who is striking again!

Some people never learn, do they?

EKULfreqflyer
2nd Aug 2008, 14:23
Thts Srilankans fault for not screening their pilots properly! Typical lankan mentality...when they see expats they just go beserk! jeez wht were the HR guys smoking when they were looking at his paperwork! If ppl think India and DGCA is bad this is worse!!!Them and their G** cadet pilot program and now this... Its a shame being the national carrier in the first place.... Hw long till Srilankan becomes the nxt Mihin Lanka? BS arm chair CEO's think that they can run airlines and Kick Emirates out! Some things will never change!!!

powerstall
2nd Aug 2008, 15:50
seems this guy has been around and quite popular amongst other folks... hehehe :E

loc22550
2nd Aug 2008, 16:23
P.Clostermann:Indeed that's the Megalomaniac man i'm Refering to : Who knowns..?
But Don't think(not sure) this guy ever flow for G.F. as Trader mentioned..so maybe one of his best friend...:uhoh: