PDA

View Full Version : S92 question.

biddedout
1st Aug 2008, 15:49
Can anyone tell me why the SAR versions of the S92 tend to Fly around with their gear down, when the pax versions raise their gear after take off as normal.

Just a curious bystander.

ASWFlyer
1st Aug 2008, 16:00
Mil Sea Kings do that a lot too i find, whereas their civvy equivalents, the S61, do not...

Could be just the places we regularly see them flying happens to be as they are coming in to land and not whilst they actually need the gear up?

helonorth
1st Aug 2008, 17:04
It may have something to do with the floats. You probably need to have
the gear down to deploy them. Just a guess.

CH274
1st Aug 2008, 17:42
It may have something to do with the floats. You probably need to have
the gear down to deploy them. Just a guess.

... You guess wrong :)

skypest
1st Aug 2008, 17:51
Are you O.k CH274.
do you need medical assistance? you only got half way through your last post.

MrEdd
1st Aug 2008, 18:06
As I understand so does some mil/SAR/gov ops in some A/C like to fly w wheels down when flying low and slow due to the extra cushion in case of a engine failure.

Could that be the case here?

POLESTAR
1st Aug 2008, 18:43
You get a annoying aural warning (GEAR TOO LOW) along with a red master caution when below 150' and 60 kts.

So put the wheels down when winching and none of the above:ok:

PS

John Eacott
1st Aug 2008, 21:32
Following a wheels up incident a couple of years back, the RAN now require SK to have the gear down whenever flying overland :( Many years ago (early 80's?) the RN had a requirement to keep the gear permanently down, following a technical issue, for quite some time. The RN gear down flying resulted in a spate of bearing problems in the upper hinge of the main U/C struts, which were not engineered to take the stress of cruising with the gear down := (The fixed gear of the Commando has a different set up, before that is mentioned ;) )

I wonder if this will become an issue in such as the S92, and even in the ASW Sea Kings being modified for the junglies, with gear down and locked, but the old retractable bearings having to take the strain?

2nd Aug 2008, 07:13
The Mk4 (junglie) Sea Kings don't have retractable gear, on the Mk 3/3A (RAF SAR) the AVADS warning goes off at 30' if you don't have the gear down so, when winching with very small vessels (low to keep visual references) we often drop the gear.

Other than that it is up to the pilot whether he has gear down or up but it makes no difference to deploying the flotation bags and, apparently, does not affect the water entry on ditching either (that from the waterbirds instructors).

Overland at low level it is eminently sensible to have the gear down (one less thing to forget if it all goes quiet) and I am sure I am not the only one who has forgotten to raise the gear - (yes I know it's in the checks):) or lower it!

CH274
2nd Aug 2008, 07:24
Are you O.k CH274.
do you need medical assistance? you only got half way through your last post.

Its nice to know someone cares:} But I'm just responding to helonorth post. That's it. To answer the poster question well ... you need to know what the SAR SOP. Just like asking why some operator switch over their compass to free on deck and some don't, all depends on their SOP.
And I do not have the experience flying with the S92 SAR. I don't like to B.S.;) giving 'possible' answers. Facts works for me :ok:

helonorth
2nd Aug 2008, 17:10
So you just decided to jump in to be a pain in the a$$? Whatever...

AllyPally
2nd Aug 2008, 18:12
helonorth

I think what CH274 was trying to say is if you don't know the answer then what is the point of posting. This is a professional pilot's forum and questions asked need to be answered by people who know the answer not "guessers":=

AP

helonorth
3rd Aug 2008, 00:31
Sorry I threw something out there, yet prefaced it as only a guess. Is that
not allowed? I know what his intent was. This is a strange crowd!
BTW, CH274 is barely literate.

AirJockey
3rd Aug 2008, 08:05
Gear down increases stability when floating in water,
Gear down increases the chances of survival on land in case of emergency landing.

heli1
3rd Aug 2008, 17:02
Can anyone tell me why pax versions of the S92 fly around with the gear retracted...just a curious bystander.....wanting to keep threads alive !

bigsimmer
3rd Aug 2008, 21:37
Information from the S92 RFM:-

Wheels Down adds approximately 3% to the Cruise fuel flow in the S92. For this reason, as well as for "Green" and financial considerations, en-route flying will usually be conducted with landing gear raised.

The audio warning "Too Low - Gear" is initiated at 60 KIAS and 150 Rad Alt.

chcoffshore
3rd Aug 2008, 21:38
SAR & Pax fly with the wheels up! The wheels will be lowered & raised depending on the circumstances. :ugh:

The Night Rider
7th Aug 2008, 04:47
Why do you think it's got retractable undercarriage!?!

It's not rocket surgery!

You guys have been landing on skids for way too long!! :ugh: