PDA

View Full Version : Airline recommendations at Cabair - can anyone give an insight?

airbuslit
1st Aug 2008, 15:12
Those students qualifying from Cabair Integrated - if they get recommendations is it really only BA and Flybe that Cabair have links with or do Cabair students get recommended to other airlines. Its just that other FTOs such as OAA, FTE seem to emblazon their websites with airline logos that they claim to have strong links with. My worry is that qualifiying from Cabair does this mean really only two possible airlines they can recommend to and if you don't get a job with them then you are really on your own??

Many thanks for any replies.
airbuslit

Mercenary Pilot
1st Aug 2008, 15:28
Choosing an FTO based purely on perceived links to any airline will almost guarantee disappointment.

if you don't get a job with them then you are really on your own??

Yep, but that's pretty much the same deal everywhere. Don't believe marketing hype!

Good luck

:ok:

tupues
1st Aug 2008, 15:49
FTOs can only recommend you to airlines who are needing pilots!

Artie Fufkin
1st Aug 2008, 17:57
I would suggest that picking out Cabair as not having great links at the moment is a little unfair when you look at the other two integrated schools;

FTE seem to be hyping their links with GAPAN (no jobs there) and GB Airways (no longer exists). The more useful sounding airlines like Loganair, Thomsonfly and Citiflyer don't give any specifics; ie how many guys/girls have gone there in the last year?...

Looking at Oxford's current year stats; there only appears to be a significant current relationship with BA, Ryanair and Flybe (all three airlines recruit students from Cabair too). All those airlines that have taken 1 or 2 students from Oxford are more likely to be students finding their own job rather than a formal airline recomendation scheme with Oxford.

As MP says, chances are you will be on your own at all three. Hope for the best, plan for the worst.

preduk
1st Aug 2008, 20:27
Loganair seem to get a decent amount of pilots from Tayside. I've known a few guys there to be put forward to them and ScotAirways.

airbuslit
4th Aug 2008, 11:21
Thanks guys and gals for the replies. I was not picking on Cabair. In fact they are my preferred choice and seem to give information as it is rather than shovelling you with a lot of marketing hype as the other FTOs sometimes appear to be doing. So apologies - I was not having a dig at them and I fully appreciate that it is not the organisation which gets you the job at the end of the day, but it is yourself.

Its just that when you are forking out such a large amount of money you want to be sure you are getting the best deal. Most of the talked about FTOs on this site always seem to be Oxford, FTE or CTC and one hears little about Cabair. If two candidates are equal at interview except that one has the ATPL from Cabair and say the other from Oxford - which is an airline recruiter gonna pick?

Thats all!
airbuslit.

ALSO: Has anyone noticed that Oxford seem to update their employment stats regularly. Cabair seemed to have updated theirs over a year ago - whats been happening since - has no one got employment?

hollingworthp
4th Aug 2008, 12:24
It is good that OAA keep their recruitment stats regularly updated - none of the other FTO's seem to want to do this for some reason.

However, it should be noted that just because someone is listed on those stats does not imply that OAA had a direct hand in recommending the student for that role.

Flashdance9
4th Aug 2008, 12:45
Ive not heard of anyone from cabair going to BA within the last year or so...

airbuslit
4th Aug 2008, 15:24
Exactly!

Sounds fishy - is anyone actually recruiting from Cabair???

tupues
4th Aug 2008, 15:27
Is anyone actually recruiting?

Flybe +FR. End of.

bananaman2
4th Aug 2008, 16:31
in response to the points mentioned....

i know of eight people who have got through the assessments and sim checks for BA since the start of the year, this was fairly recently before the recruitment freeze was announced. Last I heard they were all going thru/had finished the JOC at CTC so who knows as to whether they have been given dates for type rating?

As to employment stats, oxford employ more admin staff who's role it is to manage the intake of students, look after applications, answer questions, look for jobs and update stats etc etc. Cabair have less staff and they usually involved in many other things, so they're probably not interested in updating the stats unless they have nothing else to do. Would you pay someone 20k or something who has so much time on their hands to frequently update stats and answer forum queries?

A few people from cabair have gone to flybe and ryanair also, nowhere else really. A mate of mine said he met an fte student at interview and apparently they're getting people interviews at cityjet and BA cityflyer in addition to all the above.

Flashdance9
4th Aug 2008, 16:51
i know of eight people who have got through the assessments and sim checks for BA since the start of the year

Yeah, not from cabair!?

skywalking
4th Aug 2008, 17:16
yep.. all from Cabair and all in the last month or so...

Flashdance9
4th Aug 2008, 18:06
the first cabair grads to go BA SSP for a while!! well done to them, looks like theyre gona get in just before the doors shut for a while

dingbat2407
5th Aug 2008, 16:16
cabair have in fact had a few guys go to BA on the back of recommendations, and Flybe still take a few from there. I would however say to reiterate the points made before, do not believe ALL the marketing hype as I know for a fact that a few of the companies they include on the website as ones they have found for people have actually been found by the applicant themselves through hard slog!!! If you don't get an immediate recommendation it is most definately a "thanks for your money, good bye" moment. Don't be disheartened though, this is the story with most schools however rosy they like to make their situation look,

Hope this helps,

Dingbat

The Red Flyer
2nd Sep 2008, 16:24
Yehh. From Cabair!!