PDA

View Full Version : BA Profits Drop 88%

leisurelad
1st Aug 2008, 07:13
From the BBC News Website

BBC NEWS | Business | Soaring fuel bill hits BA profits (http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7536570.stm)

Think it's going to be a time when crew and staff will have no choice but to except new terms that BA will probably bring in in order to cut costs given the news.

Sad really but no doubt BA will pull through it somehow.

geordiejet
1st Aug 2008, 07:24
Interesting - profits fell 3% more than FR. I wonder if there will be a witch hunt for Willy to resign? :ugh:

db16
1st Aug 2008, 07:38
I doubt it -he didn't even consider it after the T5 fiasco! db16

crewmeal
1st Aug 2008, 08:21
I guess right now Mr Walsh and his merry gang of so called managers will be brainstorming ideas on how to 'outsource' various departments, similar to the cabin crew idea that was discussed in length elsewhere on this forum.

It will be interesting to see what he does next

Homer_J
1st Aug 2008, 08:22
I suppose if you factor in that a few years ago (I think) they were making losses of a few hundred million, then its probably a good sign that there still making a profit.

CHINOOKER
1st Aug 2008, 08:29
Also worthy of note is our "cash reserves",not sure if it's £2 billion or more?.....I expect many other airlines would love to have this sum of money in the bank at the present time!!

BikerMark
1st Aug 2008, 09:42
Quote - "BA is looking at what long-term measures it will need to take to survive a fuel environment of $110 to $150 a barrel and to deliver sustained profitability."

Expect anything and discount nothing.

Mark.

Maude Charlee
1st Aug 2008, 10:47
Is this a drop or a 'terror plunge'? Are the management 'wrestling' with the accounts?

It is aviation after all - shouldn't we use the standard aviation journalistic wording? :}

Kempus
1st Aug 2008, 10:48
What a level head thread when you compare it to any with FR. They would be going bust, laying off 12,000 and eroding T&C's by the 7th post!

There will be 5 airlines coming out the recession still in the black, FR, BA, KLM/AF, Easy and Luft! All leaner and more efficient. Including an already anorexic FR!

Back on the diet pills for me!

kempus

1st Aug 2008, 10:58
Very good Maude! :)

King Halibut
1st Aug 2008, 12:00
And now with Jet2's share price rocketing to 20p and BA on the ropes, now's the time for Jet2 to strike out and buy BA :}

Ex Cargo Clown
1st Aug 2008, 17:55
So would the enormous fines they had to pay to the US for the price-fixing have any effect on this result ??

JulietNovemberPapa
1st Aug 2008, 19:59
What a level head thread when you compare it to any with FR. They would be going bust, laying off 12,000 and eroding T&C's by the 7th post!

Completely agree.

BerksFlyer
1st Aug 2008, 20:43

For one reason or another people simply don't like Ryanair.

allanmack
1st Aug 2008, 21:05
Some people don't like Ryanair........they do have a few supporters.