PDA

View Full Version : FMC U10.7 - The lost pages

Checkboard
31st Jul 2008, 19:50
Up until and including update 10.6 on the 737 Flight Management Computer, it was possible to access the "Alternate Airport" and "Nearest Airport" pages, through an Easter egg combination of simultaneous button pushes.

I've noticed that with the latest update, these pages (or at least, the combination of button pushes that could access them) have disappeared.

Anyone in the industry found a new combination to find them?

kijangnim
31st Jul 2008, 20:04
Greetings,

Just for the record :}

The FMS is certified to be used pushing one key at a time, any key stroke is memorized, and if the action of pushing several keys triggers an abnormal beheavior then ....
Accessing unpaid option using this method is illegal :suspect:

el #
1st Aug 2008, 00:18
kijangnim, mon ami, next time instead of "collaborating" to people the way you did here, take a stroll, wouldn't you like ?

gonso
1st Aug 2008, 02:44
Checkboard, are we talking about NG? On the NG 10.7 fmc, you need to press ROUTE and you will find what you are after on 6L.

On the Classic, I don't think it is available, but if you find it I will be glad to know it too. :ok:

kijangnim
1st Aug 2008, 08:32
Greetings el

I feel it is important that people know where they might get into, rather than when it is too late.:ok:
It is just a friendly advice, :) anyway I think that Smiths had probably changed its software.:}

cfm56dash7
6th Aug 2008, 07:44
Indeed, GE Aviation (nee Smiths) did get rid of these Easter Eggs. I don't think that they were too worked up about intellectual property issues (though Boeing certainly does charge for many of these options), it was more the fact that on occasion, these creative techniques would get the FMS to reset and the crew had succeeded in adding more spice to their life than they intended. Reset = dead FMS for 30 or so seconds and then you get to connect the dots and rebuild data when it wakes up.
We have the Alternate Destinations option in our older 'classic' birds but some bean counter decided to save the $28,500 per ship (2005 dollars, taken from the 2005 Boeing Standard Selections catalog) in all our NGs. This same miserly Scrooge also deleted ABEAM Waypoints ($14,400 per ship).
Some justice prevailed when we started ETOPS operations and they had to go back and retrofit the alternate destinations to the ETOPS fleet.