PDA

View Full Version : PPL CONFUSER - Question

dave scott
31st Jul 2008, 14:59
I am currently contemplating taking the JAA Air Law exam, the PPL Confuser book I have indicates that all current questions are included in the book. Can anyone advise whether that is fact, or is it that the questions in the book are indicative of the questions in the real exam?

Thanks in advance

RTN11
31st Jul 2008, 17:11
It's been a while since i took my ppl exams, but I remember the confuser questions being very similar, although not exactly the same as the real exam.

In subjects like law and HPL, there are only so many things they can ask so the confuser will be close to the real exam.

In subjects like Nav, you need to be able to calculate things, so the confuser will be a good learning aid, but will not give you the answers for the real thing.

Someone at my flying school just took a met exam which has just been released, and he said the confuser was no help at all, and he hadn't seen anything like the questions before.

IO540
31st Jul 2008, 18:33
The Confuser contains very similar questions, and has about 4x more of them than the exam paper. If you revise with the Confuser until you are getting say 80-90% repeatedly, then you will know enough about the subject to get a similar good mark in the exam paper too. It's an excellent tool.

jxc
31st Jul 2008, 18:41
Hi

I just finished my ppl exams and used the confuser ( Nung Sornying ) and the met exam i think was a new one so not many if any same questions, But alot of the time they are the same as the book but asked a different way !

Just study the confuser take exam you will allright and dont forget you only need 75% right to pass any more is a waste

good luck :D

JXC

Slipstream86
31st Jul 2008, 22:16
Just study the confuser take exam you will allright and dont forget you only need 75% right to pass any more is a waste

:rolleyes:

Nashers
31st Jul 2008, 23:02
the topic has been discussed before. telling someone to study the confuser is pretty crap advice to be frank... any more than 75% will give you better understanding and respect for what your flying so less likley you will end up killing yourself.

study the confuser yes you can pass the exams without having a clue what your doing... good luck with the ATPLs then as you will realy struggle (if you intend to go down that route)

even if you just want to fly for fun on your ppl, when you come across a problem (like the AI failing) you can start trouble shooting and may see that you have a suction pump failure for example..

RTN11
1st Aug 2008, 23:28
The confuser should in no way be used as a sole method of study.

You should really understand the topics of Aircraft Tech, Met and Law, otherwise you could end up landing yourself into some serious trouble, or get end up killing yourself.

The confuser is a great tool for seeing the way in which the CAA word their questions, so you don't get caught out in the exam, but you should have the underlying knowledge anyway.

to say any more than 75% pass is a waste is crazy. What if once you get your licence, you come across something in real life that was in the 25% of law that you didnt bother to learn. You'll find yourself without the licence you worked hard for in the 1st place.

RTN11
2nd Aug 2008, 11:01
I'm now studying for my ATPL exams, and I'm finding it much easier having studied hard for my PPLs, and so already having the underlying knowledge.

Unfortunately, in the ATPL exam world, it's even worse with the Bristol Database meaning people can learn answers to actual exam questions.

Why is the CAA exam method so crazy for all exams? it really encourages people to just learn answers to multiple choice questions, rather than actually have to know what it all means.

I think they should make the syllabus more specific to what a pilot actually needs to know, have less exams, and remove multiple choice.

TheOddOne
2nd Aug 2008, 14:15
I think they should make the syllabus more specific to what a pilot actually needs to know, have less exams, and remove multiple choice.

That would be fewer exams, not less...

The problem is that the JAR-PPL entitles you to fly any SEP anywhere in the World, so the syllabus has to cover a large ground that may not all seem relevant in the UK in a C152, for instance.

If we were to go to a system of written answers, it would not only take a great deal of additional effort to mark, but also produce a variation in quality of rresults between different examiners. Knowing the Rules of the Air isn't quite the same as 'The Wars of the Roses had a marked effect on the wool trade in medieval England - discuss'.

TheOddOne

RTN11
2nd Aug 2008, 16:50
i must've missed the part of the PPL syllabus which covered medieval wool trade. still managed to get through with a 93% average.

explain the 4 stroke combustion cycle...?

That's a question which would clearly demonstrate if someone had a grip on what happens. If they just put "suck squeeze bang blow", 0 marks.

They could amalgamate it all into one written exam, and it'd cost everyone less too.

BackPacker
2nd Aug 2008, 19:26
explain the 4 stroke combustion cycle...?

That's a question which would clearly demonstrate if someone had a grip on what happens. If they just put "suck squeeze bang blow", 0 marks.

When reading this, I was being reminded of a radio ad we have in the Netherlands right now. The scene is an intern who just joined a nameless company. Mentor asks "Okay, can you copy this document? You know how a copier works, right?"

Intern responds: "Yes. A powerful light illuminates the document. The reflecting light goes through a lens and ionizes the drum. The drum then rotates against a second drum covered in toner. Where the drum is ionized the drum picks up the toner and then rolls this on the paper. The paper then goes through another heating drum which burns the toner into the paper." (Or something like that.)

So... How much time do you get to explain the suck squeeze bang blow principle? There's always a smarta**e who wants to write a 500-word essay (or worse) when asked a question like that. (I would, probably...:8)

But to be honest, the principle of a four stroke engine is background information but not exactly directly related to safe flying. A question on how to lean the mixture properly for best economy, without ruining the engine, would be far more relevant. Particularly on aircraft with only limited instrumentation - tacho only for instance.

dave scott
9th Aug 2008, 18:07
Thanks for all your comments - I passed!!

Speed bird 002
9th Aug 2008, 18:33
dave i passed aswell today. :) where did you take the exam and what did you get?

SB:ok:

dave scott
14th Aug 2008, 21:46
well done to you too. It was at Biggin Hill and I scraped the minimum 75% I'm afraid......but a pass is a pass I suppose!