PDA

View Full Version : Deck Crew Earn Danger Money!

Lazer-Hound
31st Jul 2008, 13:31
Military Videos: CH-53 With Hung Nose Gear (http://www.strategypage.com/military_videos/military_photos_20080728221137.aspx)

MostlyHarmless
31st Jul 2008, 14:32
:eek:

Couldn't they just sling a life raft under there or something and let him land on that? 5 people crawling around underneath is not the sharpest thing I've ever seen - it's only a bloody aircraft for crysake!

Affirmatron
31st Jul 2008, 14:38
Safety (mine) first. Platform second.

If the Queen wanted me to risk my life fixing shoddy equipment I'm sure she'd have told me.

However, well done them anyway.

youngskywalker
31st Jul 2008, 14:42
Seen this happen regularly at Aberdeen Airport with the civvy offshore helicopters when they have a stuck gear leg. Always struck me as a tad risky! I bet the HSE folks would have a small coronary if they saw this!

NutLoose
31st Jul 2008, 14:43
AffirmatronSafety (mine) first. Platform second.

If the Queen wanted me to risk my life fixing shoddy equipment I'm sure she'd have told me.

However, well done them anyway.

Ha.... what part of the forces where you in? lol

We had Alpha Tango I believe in N Ireland, we set that down on a pile of Sandbagsas no spares were available... Though have been present and doing bits of it on a Puma too..

http://i59.photobucket.com/albums/g288/peely20/wessex-1.jpg

This picture is taken from the book, British Military Helicopters by John Everett-Heath and shows a Wessex HU.5 on board (well not on-board actually!) HMS Bulwark in 1972 having it's port main gear replaced whilst in the hover. Thanks to NeilR for the narration and popping this up on the HKN site.

PICKS135
31st Jul 2008, 16:35
Looking at the video a question sprung up. Why when the back wheels were on the deck, did he lift off again once the nose wheel was down ?
Not being funny just wondering.

NutLoose
31st Jul 2008, 19:00
I wondered that too, possibly he has squat switches on the main undercarriage so by lifting off he reset them

wetdreamdriver
31st Jul 2008, 19:34
I did wonder why he re-launched but when he lands back on he is on the foreaft line - perhaps it has something to do with fitting the mangler on, so that they can get it in the hangar - good job though BZ all round.:ok:

fastener
1st Aug 2008, 09:11
The deck of a carrier is not the safest place to be in the world at the best of times.There is always some Tw%t that wants to land on the sun deck. Health and safety? Pah, Engineers laugh in the face of certain death and tweek the nose of the spindley killer fish on a daily basis.

Door Slider
1st Aug 2008, 09:44
Nothing particularly dangerous about that. On the Puma we usually stay in about the 6-8ft hover though. We sometimes even practise with the engineers, and also practise airborne refuels. Its just the same as doing underslung loads.

Vim_Fuego
1st Aug 2008, 11:55
On watching that vid I got caught up in looking at all the other CH-53 vids and saw the one where the tail breaks off in flight whilst in the lift...It inevitably and sadly piles in but they manage to pull some people out of the wreckage...Watch it to see what happens to the unfortunate fellow who survived the crash and made it onto a stretcher...

NutLoose
1st Aug 2008, 22:20
Sorry I do not watch films of people suffering, I would however say watch this one of a Sea Knight suffering a major fire in flight over the deck if you have not seen it...

It does show how professionally everyone operated and had a safe outcome for all concerned due to the lack of panic and drills down to a pat..... The dude with the camera must have struggled to walk out because he has some seriously big balls, especially to stand there filming it...........:ok:

LiveLeak.com - A H-46 Sea Knight (aka: Phrog) catches fire (http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=a26_1190194748)