PDA

View Full Version : SAAF has just 20 fighter pilots

Ibhayi
31st Jul 2008, 01:21
The SA Air Force has lost 91 pilots and 822 technicians since 2005, says the Defence Minister and at present SA has only 20 operational fighter pilots.The comments in the article seem to contradict the stories of white members being told there is no future for you here, you can't progress up the ranks.

SAAF has just 20 fighter pilots: South Africa: Politics: News24 (http://www.news24.com/News24/South_Africa/Politics/0,,2-7-12_2367095,00.html)

nugpot
31st Jul 2008, 06:26
From the article above:
"White members have a perception that there are limited career opportunities within the organisation.

"This prompts them to seek other opportunities elsewhere, moreover for remuneration packages far beyond what the SAAF can offer to retain skills," Lekota said.

It seems to confirm rather than contradict. Why would career officers and NCO's with decades of SAAF experience have that perception unless it is seen and felt every day?

I see this in my job, why would the SAAF be any different?

Metro man
31st Jul 2008, 06:47
and at present SA has only 20 operational fighter pilots

And how many of them are going to leave at the first opportunity they get ?

BAE Saudi Arabia for the money, Australia for the passport, Cathay etc for the airline job.

Prehaps some of the former Executive Outcomes guys would be interested in a contract to run an airforce for them. ;)

50feet
31st Jul 2008, 07:58
the ex EO bullets are too busy flying 1900's on contract it seems. The NSAAF will be like NZ soon, no fighter force just choppers and transport . . . sigh

concordino
31st Jul 2008, 08:25
After All with the way South Africa is going, They will no longer need the Air Force equipment and manning levels they had during the apartheid era.

Add to that all the issues of money, security and future sustainability... many of the white folks are just choosing to go abroad...

Wouldn't surprise me to see the US striking some kind of strategic alliance deal with SA in the near future, to provide military back up and presence; In light of the chinese involvement in Africa.

Ibhayi
31st Jul 2008, 10:03
many of the white folks are just choosing to go abroad...

FNBs chief property economist last week said that in their research 18% of house sales by white people are because they are leaving SA.

While I was a student I coached a sport at one of SAs most expensive high schools. Last year 65 kids left the school to leave with their family, that is about 10%.

Doodlebug2
31st Jul 2008, 14:29
Maybe the Defence Minister should get some facts from "the grassroots" level. Nothing perceived...only factual, ask the boys who stayed on after '94! Now they're bleating, looking for sympathy. Same thing happened to Zim - nobody interested in flying there either as a career soon after independence up until the present (unless the individual is/was too lazy to get a comm.):p

very old flyer
31st Jul 2008, 19:00
What a great shame that the second oldest air force in the world has come to this.

It's not only fighter pilots. When the DC3/C47 celebrated its 50th anniversary the SAAF put a staggered diamond of 50 aircraft in the air.
Magnificent! Couldn't do it now!

skyshark
1st Aug 2008, 15:07
how many do you need to protect your airspace from mugabe anyway!

rudder hard over
1st Aug 2008, 16:55
Was good training for a young person a few years back. Sadly now, SAAF is now all air and no force

Flyer14
1st Aug 2008, 19:37
Have to agree the SAAF is in a spiral dive......getting new equipment counts for nothing with no skills to utilize them.

KiloDeltaYankee
4th Aug 2008, 01:55
I liked the last sentence: "Aircraft cannot be maintained without technicians."

Skillie
4th Aug 2008, 11:46
The DC 3 formation was only 27 ship. Think the 50 ship was with the Harvards when finished at Dunnottar or withdrawn from service. Can't remember.

Pitch&Fan
4th Aug 2008, 12:10
Yep, the 50-ship was in 1990 at Dunno's during the Harvard 50 year celebrations. I remember a bunch of us trying to add to the event by attempting a 50 beer weekend... Most didn't succeed!

What a lekker weekend though!!

Malagant
4th Aug 2008, 16:12
The USA is not goiing to provide anything while they pour money into the war on Terror..and Mbeki has his head up Moogabie`s ass and not with the way our next Prez is getting out of the crim charges he is facing..!

very old flyer
4th Aug 2008, 20:52
OK, OK, I wuz wrong! But according to the Dakota Association of South Africa ( www.dc-3.co.za (http://www.dc-3.co.za) ) the SAAF put up a 35 ship formation on the DC3/C47 anniversary in 1985.
I remember seeing clips of the event, but didn't count them.

Flyer14
4th Aug 2008, 20:58
There was a Harvard 50-ship at the retirement ceremony in the mid-nineties as well.

KiloDeltaYankee
7th Aug 2008, 20:54
SA has no fighter cover as Zimbabwe simmers (http://www.engineeringnews.co.za/article.php?a_id=137641)

Doodlebug2
8th Aug 2008, 06:30
Waste of good chopper fuel, anyway...:p

Metro man
8th Aug 2008, 07:19
I don't think you need to worry too much about the Zimbabwean Airforce. :E

http://www.janes.com/extracts/extract/safrsu/zimbs120.html

The fact that the AFZ's pilots suffer from lack of flying hours was made evident in January 2001 when two (possibly three) F-7s were destroyed. Pilot error was responsible for these losses, with one aircraft crashing en route to the funeral fly-past of President Laurent-Désiré Kabila in Kinshasa. In this incident, the pilot became disorientated in cloud and ejected. Another F-7 was destroyed on arrival at Kamina when the first aircraft to land ran out of fuel and blocked the runway; the second aircraft was able to avoid crashing into the immobilised F-7, but landed long, ran out of runway and was damaged beyond repair. A C-212 light transport aircraft was also destroyed when its pilot, who had not flown for more than a year prior to the accident, crash landed. Other non-combat losses in the DRC included one Mi-35 and one Alouette III.

Glassos
8th Aug 2008, 13:19
OK, OK, I wuz wrong! But according to the Dakota Association of South Africa ( DC-3 South Africa (http://www.dc-3.co.za) ) the SAAF put up a 35 ship formation on the DC3/C47 anniversary in 1985.
I remember seeing clips of the event, but didn't count them.

A couple of civil operators also put some Daks in the air that day. I flew as FO in the Comair DC3 which participated in the event. Dave Lawrence was the skipper. It was awesome!

Amos Keeto
5th Jan 2009, 21:13
I know D.L ex RAF Shackletons, JPs, SOAF Skyvans, emigrated to SA and flew SAAF Atlas Impalas and Harvards at weekends,then joined Comair flying Daks,F27s then Boeing 737s. Now retired. Excellent guy!

Parrot
5th Jan 2009, 23:13
Since SA no longer has any operational fighters other than a couple of Cheetahs at TFDC and 4 Gripens yet to enter squadron service I assume that we now have less than 20 fighter pilots left:rolleyes:

skyloone
6th Jan 2009, 11:38
Does SA actually have much need for Fighter ops? Not many folks to shoot at down that way. Humanitarian ops.. yes. So tranports etc... and of course maritime surveilance with helicopters. Besides with a completely spineless government who needs an airforce... sorry me getting Bob Mugabe rage again!!!!

whiskeyflyer
7th Jan 2009, 15:59
I see news on defense web they training first group of six instructors on the Grippen

http://www.defenceweb.co.za/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=912&Itemid=350

www.defenceweb.co.za

FACT Pilot
7th Jan 2009, 18:28
What are the realistic chances of someone like myself being able to join the SAAF with a CPL (being white/male)?

bullcom
9th Jan 2009, 20:28
if you cant protect your borders or airspace, you aren't a sovereign nation

nugpot
12th Jan 2009, 07:59
You can find help for such a serious inferiority complex CL.

I.R.PIRATE
13th Jan 2009, 13:33
Sounds like CL has a case of ingrown penis...:ok: