PDA

View Full Version : Airfield Operations

Scott Diamond
30th Jul 2008, 14:45
I've always wondered typically what Airfield Operations do.

Does their role just cover assisting on ground, keeping runways/taxiways clear and aiding with the smooth operations of their airport?

I don't suppose anybody could mention their rough salary and provide more information on getting into such a role (qualifications etc). There isn't that much on the internet about it... but enough on everything else! :p

call100
30th Jul 2008, 23:30
All Airports are licensed. It is the job of Airfield Ops to ensure that the license is complied with. The Safety of Aircraft, Passengers, Personnel and equipment are also their resposibility.
Regulation of the ramp. Airfield inspections, Runway inspections. Wildlife management, all come under their remit.
Apron Control who allocate stands to aircraft are also part of Airfield Operations at some airports.
I'm sure people from other airports can add to the list....
There are no special requirements as far as qualifications are concerned. Generally some knowledge of Airports/Airlines is an advantage...All training is done on the job. There are no nationally recognised qualifications although the depth of knowledge required is quite deep and broad. This hopefully will change in the future. There are however, many certificated courses.
Getting into Airfield Operations is a case of checking the airport web sites for jobs be warned though they don't come up very often.

Geezers of Nazareth
31st Jul 2008, 12:20
(Ahem) Also having good eyesight and being able to avoid concrete blocks when driving at speed!

Anyone at Heathrow want to jump in at this point ... ?

call100
31st Jul 2008, 15:46
:):):) Heard about that one...:):) Happens to the best of us...Occasionally.
We've managed to demolish a few structures and vehicles over the years..No Aeroplanes yet though...:}

BIGBATMAN
1st Aug 2008, 11:41
Geezers you forgot to mention doing all that and try to fight off an attack from a Bee!!

Happy days.

Big

call100
1st Aug 2008, 15:56
Wuss!!!:eek::)

Scott Diamond
4th Aug 2008, 16:49
I love you lot -- thank you very much! ;)

Ops Guy
4th Aug 2008, 19:30
Airfield Ops are also responsible for

Aircraft Marshalling
Follow Me's
Runway Inspections
Pavement Inspections
Grass Management
Stand allocating
Works in progress
Enforcing CAP 642 (airside driving = safety management)
Lighting Inspections
Aerodrome safe guarding
Wildlife management Control
Winter Ops (snow and Ice clearing)
Friction measuring (grip testing)

And :mad: loads more :oh:

If you have an intrest in aviation then go for it. Usually no 2 days are the same.:ok:

Wage will depend on what Airport you work at :{

Scott Diamond
4th Aug 2008, 23:09
Just the sort of person I'd love an answer from, Ops Guy! Do you communicate with ATC regularly over the main frequency or is that only used when runway inspecting? Do you have some form of private communications with ATC?

Is the job really stressful at times or is it pretty fun and smooth sailing?

Cheers!!

Scott

call100
5th Aug 2008, 20:03
We are constantly in touch with ATC either on the ground frequency (On the ramp or taxiways) or if on the Runway the Tower frequency. On the Telephone if it's too long (Or too embarrassing) or to maybe set something up. Ground frequency is monitored 24/7 should or Pilots require assistance. We have our own frequency also that we can contact ATC via the guys in Apron Control.
Stress is a personal thing in my book. If you have been well trained and keep up with what is happening around you then you should be fine. I cannot say that I have been stressed at any time. If anything you get a buzz out of it.
I can't imagine doing a boring 9 to 5 office job.
I'd recommend it to anyone.
As Ops Guy says..No two days are the same in fact not 2 hours are the same.
I agree with him that wages depend on the airport....:ok::D:):O

speedbird_481_papa
5th Aug 2008, 23:09
Ops Guy what you say about stand allocations varies depending on the airport. Because at BRS we have our stands allocated by Servisair Ops, not the actual Airport Operations team

call100
6th Aug 2008, 14:56
Birmingham has Apron Controllers (Part of the Ops team) for stand allocation.

Scott Diamond
9th Aug 2008, 17:46
Cheers everyone, sounds like a fun job! :8

Brad the Impaler
9th Aug 2008, 21:21
You can say that again! Sitting around in your Ops 4X4 (WTF?) waiting hopefully for some unsuspecting handler, cabin crew member or pilot to pass you by not wearing their ear defenders or high viz or committing some other minor, utterly trivial misdemeanour so you can joyfully nab them and present them with a ticket or worse confiscate their ID pass. Complete halfwits, many of them!

Ops Guy
10th Aug 2008, 16:03
he he :E :E :E :E :E

call100
10th Aug 2008, 23:32
Brad the Impaler
Thanks........Love it when we make an impact....;);):)

Ranger 1
10th Aug 2008, 23:52
Brad the Impaler
Clearly you have a very limited understanding of what goes on around you, while you have been flying in & out of UK airports.
I have been in the job for 25 years the vast amount of comments I have received from aircrew are positive, however I have also met a few halfwit pilots who have had a very high opinion of themselves in my time, some of which have earnt an MOR or two off me. :ouch: