PDA

View Full Version : Sponsoring at zero experience?

Chris-V
30th Jul 2008, 13:11
Hello everyone,

I'm a 20 year old Belgian Student. Next year I would like to start flight training for an ATP license. Because of the high costs of these courses, I would of course like some sponsoring.
I've checked out dozens of airlines offering cadet schemes, but they all seem to require at least a PPL.
Are there any airlines out there who are willing to sponsor a training from zero experience?

IrishJetdriver
30th Jul 2008, 14:22
These days ? Nice one. Good luck!

Mikebert4
30th Jul 2008, 23:06
IT's not likely to happpen Chris.

I'm in a similar situation as yourself - I'm 20, with a (very) small amount of experience. The way forward as I see it is to keep an eye out for mentorship or 'tagged' schemes - such as those run by Flybe, CityFlyer, CityJet and TompsonFly. Whereas you still have to find the cash for ab-initio, you do get a place at a decent school (ie: Oxford/Herez), and that small point of airline backing helps a bundle in getting the loan required and usually the airline will commit to paying for your JOC and Type-conversion as well (providing you do well enough in training and they still have a space for you come graduation*).

Mentorship is about the best chance we'll get in these days of supposed economic hardship.

*Some airlines (Thompsonfly for one) are know for their poor rate-of-takeup of their mentored students - with very few actually getting a place within the airline. On the flip side, some have a reputation for nearly always finding a place for mentored FATPLs (CityFlyer, Flybe). Do your research, but remember just getting your FATPL at a school like Herez with a good score could mean you walk into a job - even if it's not with the airline that 'tagged' you.

Chris-V
31st Jul 2008, 09:47
Thanks a lot! This cleared a lot of things up.

MIKECR
31st Jul 2008, 10:08
Chris,

There are the Highland Airways and RVL Cadet schemes which are essentially fully funded. You will however be required to remain with the company for a minimum period of years and work in ops etc(its not all flying). You do however require a PPL and some hours to be eligible for the scheme. They do receive thousands of applications so competition is very tough.

rhythm08
31st Jul 2008, 10:11
Not quite thousands, most people seem to not like the hard work of these courses and prefer the CTC, OAT route etc

saintexupery
1st Aug 2008, 09:25
sponsoring the good old way (ie. with the airline paying for your course) does not seem to exist any more. what u get are cadet schemes. the ctc wings scheme u can enter even if u have no money (a bank lends you the money on an unsecured basis). the scheme has placed every cadet so far with airlines, although there is no formal binding agreement to that respect. OAT has similar schemes, although so far they still need some kind of financial collateral (eg. a house) for the payment of the training. some of their schemes, i understand, come with an employment contract upon training (netjets/oaa scheme for instance). i think cabair, fte, and possibly ptc in ireland have similar schemes. also check out balpa's section on training and sponsorship schemes

Sudan19
1st Aug 2008, 11:02
Chris,

i am sure lots of people are in the same boat as you and i.

i have a PPL completed my JAR-FCL ATPL ground school and 122 hours TT.

at the moment i don't have no cash what so ever. in fact i am paying back the loan i took from the bank to get to this point.

its very hard to find a cadet programme that will pay for all your training without you paying anything. i searched everywhere and couldn't find anything. and in my case i don't think i'll find an airline/FTO that will pay for the rest of my training.

but still don't give up. keep trying you might find something.

all the best Mate.

GusHoneybun
1st Aug 2008, 12:43
its very hard to find a cadet programme that will pay for all your training without you paying anything. i searched everywhere and couldn't find anything. and in my case i don't think i'll find an airline/FTO that will pay for the rest of my training.

Eer, it's already been mentioned in this thread that both Highland Airways and RVL at Coventry both provide full sponsorship for anyone with a PPL, to get trained up to frozen ATPL, type rated and employed as a pilot. I'm staggered in this day and age that these schemes don't get swamped with applications. Sure, it's not a cushty little role, and you will be worked like a dog before your training begins, but it all depends on how much you want this.

bobbyboblington
19th Sep 2008, 12:46
Hi Chris, I'm on the NetJets Europe sponsored cadet programme. As saintexupery quite rightly says you do still need to fork up the cash yourself, however with the guarantee of a placement banks will often provide enhanced lending packages. Like you I had very limited flying experience (I only did a few hours in a grob tutor and bulldog), generally companies seem more interested in what you have done to work towards a flying career and how prepared you are to commit to the scheme.

aerorrancio
20th Sep 2008, 12:59
can i work in netjets with 210 hours and i,m spanish.thanks:ok:

hollingworthp
20th Sep 2008, 13:08
Unfortunately no. Unless you go through the OAA programme then you will need to join as a direct entrant with 1500 hour minimum (I think it is 750hrs min for the Beechcraft)

N1 and ITT
20th Sep 2008, 15:32
Try SWISS...
Try Lufthansa...
Try Air France...
Try Etihad...

From Zero to the Bus in 2 years, sponsored if you please them...

Im sure there are many more.

ausnz
20th Sep 2008, 22:00
I will second Etihad

They have a very good scheme in place (check out their website), alot better than whats on offer in other cadet schemes here in the pacific!

There was one intake of expats from Cathay Pacific, but havent heard anything since so not sure if its still going but I would keep an eye out.

And no flying experience required

Callum Riseley
21st Sep 2008, 18:45
If you can speak German try Lufthansa, I certainly will do when I'm old enough.

www.lufthansa-pilot.de (http://www.lufthansa-pilot.de/)

haileybury777
22nd Sep 2008, 11:02
Yea there was an entry for Cathay (Expats) but they send you to FTA to be an instructor for some time before comming into Cathay! good oppurtunity!